1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Vishu

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by shubhasiddharth, Apr 15, 2009.

1. shubhasiddharth

shubhasiddharth Bronze IL'ite

2. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Hi Shubha,
    No festival is complete without thinking of our loved ones like parents and grandparents. Most probably this is also meant to be for that.
    As a kid vishukaineetam is finale, while counting and taking into consideration who gave the most and then i will think of ways to spend.
    Happy vishu to you
    Jaya

3. shubhasiddharth

@Jaya
    I couldnt help but think of everyone back home..but thanks to one of the IL( vidhukumar).she made it really special for me.

4. Deepali_deepali

Deepali_deepali Gold IL'ite

dear Shubha,

I like your writing style, but as I don't belong to South India, I am wondering, what this festival is ?? A nice write up..

5. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

Loved reading your blog on vishu....

The happiness we felt when we got our vishu kaineettam is unforgettable....

On vishu.....my brother and myself will fall at grandma's, dad's and mum's feet for such..... a long time.....until they start laughing and telling "no matter how long you both hold our feet you are going to get not more than 11 rupees...."

for us... that was more than enough....becoz grandma will always tell that in her times they used to get only around 1 rupee or so

for both of us that 11 rupees seem to have made us so rich..........and we used to rush to show the money to our friends and off we all go - a big gang - to the nearby shop to buy big fun bubble gum, kammarkat, javvu mittai, cigarette mittai, tictac, orange mittai, jeera mittai etc., (sweets at my time-south india) and come back home with lots of laughter and happiness...

on vishu we and our cousins fall at everybody's feet....and so fun it was to sit in a circle and count the amount to know who got more...anyway within 5 minutes everything will be spent...and the shopkeeper becomes richer...

we used to wait for vishu eagerly ............. more than onam because of kaineetam..

as you said we think of all our elders, friends ...on this special day...

loved the blog....:)

6. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

Loved your blog on vishu !!!!!!!:)

Brought back all cherished memories of my childhood vishu and the much awaited kaineetam....

-sunitha

7. swethakalyanee

swethakalyanee New IL'ite

Awesome post !
    I was also reminded of how my dad used to buy Kilos of varied fruits and neatly place it on the big brass vessel of rice and decorate a big mirror with gold ornaments . The entire room used to smell of fresh fruits and flowers... Lovely!
    We used to wake up so early thinking of the day's collection (Kaineetam) :)

At my in-laws place its not a big celebration and so I miss my home so much !

8. shubhasiddharth

@Deepali
    Thanks for your nice words.Vishu is a festival celebrated in kerala and is the first day of malayalam year.Check this link to know more about vishu.
    Vishu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

9. shubhasiddharth

@Sunitha
    So true about the kaineetam.Even if its 1 rupee, we used to feel thrilled about it.Its always fun to splurge yourselves in buying candies.I am glad you liked it. I was kind of getting home sick and hence I wrote this down.I felt much better.

10. shubhasiddharth

@Swetha
    Any festival is full of memories right?I will never be able to take my eyes off the kani arrangement.They are beautiful.