Virtual Feast of Diwali Sweets & Savouries - Photo Contest - Oct 27 - Nov 9, 2010

Discussion in 'Photo of the Month - Contest' started by IL_Admin, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sritas

sritas Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Shanti, Sorry for the delayed reply.
    First of all if the oil is colourless then the murukus must come white in colour.
    Second you should mix small amount at a time with water...........take the required amount of the rice and ulud dal..I take 7 cups rice: 1 cup ulud dal well roasted and grind them together in the mill. Take required qty and add salt, jeera and butter, but take 1 cup of this mix at a time to make into a dough.
    Leaving the mixed dough for long will give you red murukus.
    Hope I have cleared your doubt......can ask if I have not.

Thanks once again Shanta. Is your avtar "Goddess Annapoorni'?

My avtar is Goddess Bala Tripurasundari.

Regards
    Shanta

2. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    thanks a lot for the appreciation. But I have posted my photo just like that, I know that I have not done any good display.
    I tasted a lot of variety this time from various sources. I myself bought jangiri and badusha from a nearby lady (the jangiri is awesome, she is an expert). My mother made mysorepak after a very long time and ukkarai, thenkushal. My sil's sister sent besan ladu, boondhi ladu, 7 cups and her brother sent badam halwa. My elder sil sent badusha,jangiri, wheat halwa and peanut paruppu thengai (my niece's thalai deepavali) along with murukku and mixture. My niece sent son papdi, kaju kathli, and milk sweet. My neighbour sent gulab jamun and coconut burfi. My brother sent son papdi. I had a tough time resisting temptation and distributing this among servants and others around my place. This is the one time I have had so many varieties. Whew!

3. shubag

shubag Gold IL'ite

Varloo... attachment missing?? Can you give the link pls?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  4. sundaribhaskar

sundaribhaskar Bronze IL'ite

hi friends,

Congrats to all of you who have participated by posting your preparation in the contest.

Good luck to all of you.

selecting the winner is going to be a tough job..... guessing the taste also by looking at it..

sundari bhaskar

5. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Dear Shubag

Thanks Shubag. The store bought rice powder is not very fresh as the ground one what we do in India. So it is not wet, but dried. That could be the reason why our murukkus / thenkuzhals are coming not in pure white color I believe.... of course the heat will be adjusted as per requirement. I have never tried with Nirapara, but buy normal rice powder. I will with Nirapara in future. Measurement, I do the same only.

Best of luck for the competition.
    Shanti

6. shantisubra

shantisubra Gold IL'ite

Hello Shanta

Never mind at all. No need to sorry. Deepavali must hv kept u busy. I too believe if the oil is colorless the murukku should come out white too.

Shanta, due to the extreme hot climate here, I always prepare the powder mix and add water only in batches as within 1/2 hour the batter can become sour and drinks water and turn red also. Again grinding in the mill and preparing freshly makes the difference Shanta, here we dont have that facility. My mom always grinds in the mill and makes. Anyway thanks for your reply.

Noted about the avtar. She is beautiful.

Best of luck for the contest.
    Shanti

7. baskarmv

baskarmv New IL'ite

Hi All,

Hope everyone had a blast this diwali..heres attaching snaps of sweets and savouries made this diwali at our home..

Wanted to try out something creative ..as a custom we all buy new clothes for diwali so thought of designing sweets the same way..

Picture 1 : Pottukadalai cake in form of SAREE ( food colours and sugar decoratives are used)

Picture 2 : Handpainted sweetbox cover

Picture 3 : Kaju cake in form of DHOTI (mayil kan veshti so red and green colours are used in border)

Picture 4 : Other sweets ,diwali legiyam and savouries

Picture 5 : Home made wax diyas

Rgds
    Malini Vijayabaskar

Attached Files:

8. shubag

shubag Gold IL'ite

Malini Vijay...Exceptionally innovative and creative designer sweets....a visual and tempting treat for the eyes....Both the saree and dhoti cakes are so attractive that no one can guess they are edible sweets...Well done dear....If given a chance, I would like to nominate this for the winning entry....

9. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Wow Malini Vijiay!

That was an awesome display. Height of creativity yaar. How only did it strike to you to give a saree appearance to your sweet?

Wonderful. All the best for the contest.

10. samatha9

samatha9 New IL'ite

here is my entry

gulabjamun
    murkulu and appalu
    coconut laddu

[​IMG]

thanq

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.