1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Violence In South Asian Marriages - Another Victim

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Aarushi, Jul 23, 2022.

1. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Hi Rihanna,

I understand your viewpoint but respectfully disagree. I feel like just because this has not been your experience, you are negating it. I have been through the whole ostracizing part from the Indian community- from fully educated folks. Faced alienation from so called best friends and close relatives. Indian neighbors who sympathized with me for my abusive marriage but suddenly turned against me because I filed for divorce. They told their kids negative things about me so even my kids got bullied by them. I stopped getting invitations to Diwali and birthday parties for example. My so called best friend literally made a face at me and turned her back at a neighborhood gathering. My American neighbors were more understanding and supportive than any of my Indian friends. Yes, their are south East organizations that help folks in domestic violence situations but my suggestion would be for you to go and volunteer a bit with them so that you get a better understanding of how our Indian culture treats abuse. I volunteer with such an organization in my city and even with the visibility that it has, it is still a hard, long road.