Vintage photos of Chennai

Discussion in 'Jokes' started by Tamildownunder, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear ladies,

Here are a set of vintage photos of Chennai, then Madras. See how clean the city was.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hello Raman (TamilDU),

That was a wistful set of pictures! I am not even from Chennai, but viewing them, my heart was filled with a longing, a sadness, a familiarity- a yearning for something lost and past and irrecoverable,irrevokable. Truly beautiful,thanks for sharing them with us.

To address a post from u in another room/thread- the Hanumar dancing pic. I am still reeling from the Bhakti that it evoked in me. Still, a dear friend told me that in smoke and light due to mirage effect- the mind will enable us to see what it wants to see. You are a scientist yourself- please explain this for science challenged ILites namely vidya24.

Hope I got yr name right.

rgds
    Vidya

3. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear Vidya,

Thanks for viewing the photos. Surely, Madras and other Indian cities were really better looking than now. The landscape then was beautiful. The photos like these remind us how we have surrendered our culture to western influences. I wish I can get similar photos of Madurai, Trichy and other cities.

Regarding the dancing Anjaneyar, it may be an illusion and as you have said our mind has the power to see waht we want to see. I remember after the death of M.G.R there was a commotion in Madras that the top branches of a banyan tree (I don't remember the location) looked very much like him with the same white thopi, cooling glasses etc. It was a clear case of an illusion. Regarding Anjaneyar I have heard how the vadai malai on him had vanished right in front of eyes of the devotees and we had the famous episode of Vinayakar drinking milk. In this I had my personal experience. When I heard about Vinayakar drinking milk I also stood in line in our Mumbai colony temple and really as I showed the glass of milk to the statue it vanished. This particular episode happened all over the world and in London BBC had even filmed it. But, it happened only on that day and later there was a rumour that it was the handiwork of the famous tantrik Chandraswami. Science is rational and it is very difficult to explain scientifically all these events.

4. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hi! again TDU,

Similar vintage photos are available for Mumbai and Trivandrum- have viewed exhibitions of both. Same clean streets,few motors, few people- leaves you longing for the unattainable!

Thanks for the explanation abt the Hanumar. I too queued up in my colony temple in Goregaon,Mumbai.Offered milk which Pillayar sucked in.

Rgds
    Vidya

5. vivbass

vivbass Gold IL'ite

helloTD,
    thanx for posting chennai fotos,really i miss chennai very much:cry:,how changed........

6. deepavenkatesh

deepavenkatesh New IL'ite

hi,
    set of photos were excellent which cannot be seen naturally again.
    I am born and brought in chennai, but haven't viewed any such photos.
    thanx for your posting.
    bye
    deepa:wave

7. mohana

mohana Silver IL'ite

Hi TDU,
    very nice pictures,thanks for posting.