1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Video Of Me In Draped In Georgette Saree - Critiques Please!!!

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by SuiDhaaga, Jul 19, 2023.

1. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

I am draping Georgette saree

Please critique my style

I am struggling with hip pleat

All constructive comments welcome

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sui, you have a good control of the saree material and are doing most things right. To my untrained eye, it looks like the "petticoat" should ideally be an inch or two higher on the tummy. When t-shirt is replaced by a blouse, a slightly higher petticoat "string/ naada" height would be better.

Coming to your question, what do you mean by hip pleat? The pleat on the "top" of all pleats or the last pleat that transitions saree from pleats to pallu above the left thigh?

You are almost there. You can get suggestions here and improve but the fastest approach will be to get in-person help like suggested in another thread. Find someone in a local Indian store, beauty parlor or just anyone in the Indian community who are willing to demonstrate it in person couple of times.

joylokhi and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. SuiDhaaga

I will attempt to tie the naada one or two inches higher - it was slipping due to chubby tummy

Yes, hip peat is the one that transitions from pleats to pallu above the left thigh

As of now I cannot find anyone to personally assist in any local Indian store, beauty parlor or anyone in Indian community. i only have IL :hearteyes:

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Check out Dolly Jain's saree draping styles - and also check some pre-pleating and folding of sarees - there are many youtube videos that give step by step instructions from your measurements to the saree folding..
    Then you can keep a ready pleated-folded saree with pins inserted and just drape it around

If you have an Indian temple nearby, you will definitely find helpful persons who can guide you...

Pooja season coming up - hope you become an expert quickly!

SuiDhaaga and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. SuiDhaaga

Dolly Jain is my HERO!

My next venture is pre-pleating

I use more safety pins than is required, esp with delicate fabric like Georgette

Alas, No Hindu temples nearby :(