vibuthi is my staple diet these days! :(

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by dhivya rangarajan, Oct 8, 2010.

1. dhivya rangarajan

dhivya rangarajan Bronze IL'ite

Ladies,

I am getting so worried now... I am 34 weeks pregnant. For the last few weeks, I am feeling too nauseous and always have a tendency to vomit. So after every meal, and first thing in the morning, I started putting a pinch of vibuthi. It has become a addiction kind of habit! :spin so much so that I have finished 1 packet (standard yellow one) already!!!

My mom is scolding me sooooo much for this. But the urge to eat vibuthi is just too uncontrollable, that I end up sneaking it somehow when noone is around!!! :hide:

I am really worried what impact it will have on my papa.. Will it make papa weak / have an impact on its growth / fill up my amniotic fluid??? What damage have I done already :| My mom is scaring me beyond limits...

Please help me ease my fears. And how shd I overcome this habit / addiction?

2. PinksAndBlues

PinksAndBlues Senior IL'ite

Hi dhivya
    I dont know what vibhuti is ..Is it the ash from incense sticks/agarbatti ?
    If yes, please STOP eating it . I dont think it is good for you or your baby.
    Who knows what all stuff goes into making it !!?!
    Next time you feel like eating it remind yourself that it could have serious effects on you as well as your baby.

If you feel nauseous after meals, please suck on a lemon candy or eat some saunf. It will make you feel better without any ill effects.

And as an added measure, throw away all the vibhuti packets you have at home so even if you feel like eating it there will be none available.

Take care and have a happy and healthy pregnancy.

3. PinksAndBlues

PinksAndBlues Senior IL'ite

Also dont worry about damage already done..Babies are strong like that :) Im sure nothing is wrong ,BUT please dont continue this habit. Excessive consumption may be harmful..

4. kalaprabha

kalaprabha Silver IL'ite

Hi
    I have heard some people develop a taste to vibuthi during pregnancy so its not new :)
    Its not burnt ash of incense sticks,its made from some nuts and leaves (vilvam)burnt.
    It would'nt have harmed your baby but anyways why take risk stop eating.

Congrats on your pregnancy.

Kala

5. dhivya rangarajan

dhivya rangarajan Bronze IL'ite

Guys, thank you so much for relieving me of my anxiety!

Yeah, I have decided to stop eating vibhuthi :thumbsup I tried the orange mittais for the morning and narthangai after every meal with a cup of hot water, yesterday and dint have vibuthu urge full day. Now, the feeling seems to subside...

my mom has thrown out the existing packets out for good measure :spin

thanks a lot to all of you again!!! :)

6. savannas

savannas Bronze IL'ite

Hi dear,
    I totally understand what vibuthi you are talking about - If I am right about your description then we also have the standard yellow cover packet ( with the shloka Paramam Pavithram..written on it..) at home.. So, I can tell you - vibhuthi is actually like prasadham and it should be taken in a small quantity.. It will never do harm, but still excess of anything is bad.. so take in small quantity.. If you like the taste of vibuthi, which may be making you crave during preggo - you can do this .. Take a big bottle of water and add little vibuthi.. Now, when you drink this teertham, it will carry the taste of vibuthi, but ofcourse its very very dilute.. Do this for a few days, and gradually make it more and more dilute.. eventually you will overcome the craving..

good luck
    savitha