1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Venting out!! How should I deal with my interfering in laws?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by indiangurl, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Reflection123

Reflection123 New IL'ite

this is what I would do in your situation.

I would play along with my in-laws when they act hyper-sweet; I'd pretend to be appreciative of their 'thoughtfulness' on their face. I would go and talk to my husband about things I don't like. If he doesn't understand I'd let him do what he wants to, given that I also spend my life my way. If that makes me feel that he is drifting towards his parents--I would put up with that for some time. I would keep living my life, but would still keep a grip on my relation with my husband. Like I would let him go every weekend to his parents; but when he comes back--I'd lovingly, welcome him, but also would make sure that he knows what he has missed while not spending his free time alone with me. I would not do it in an outrightly offensive way---but in a sweet, suttle way. I would talk about whatever affects him most. If its sex --I would talk about that honeymoon like situation I planned with him--but I am ok to wait for it because I understand that he has to meet his parents; so I'd say whenever he gets a weekend "free" I'd love to act on "our plan". I would create situations that he'd himself crave to be with me alone. In the meanwhile I would live an enriching life myself.

1 person likes this.
  2. indiangurl

indiangurl New IL'ite

Thanks! I find that very sound advice. I have realized the hard way that it is too important to be happy on your own and have a life away from BF/husband so that they do not take you for granted. As far as the playing along part is concerned, I have come to realize that being politically correct and sweet (even if it is pretention)/tact has to be there. Initially, I was hesitant to employ such tricks as I felt that I should be 100% open with hubby/bf and used to open out my heart to him thinking he should be able to understand my feelings. I also felt that manipulating him in any way would kill the sweetness and innocence of the relation. But I have realised that tact and a certain degree of pretention is a must else you are one who is walked over or ends up making enemies.

3. indiangurl

indiangurl New IL'ite

I know the situations are different but somewhere they are similar...I completely get what you are saying and makes a lot of sense to me!

4. indiangurl

indiangurl New IL'ite

Hi dahlia,

Things are sorted out in a certain manner and complicated at many different levels at the same time. A completely new angle came up which I am not keen to discuss here as this is not the right platform. There is a lot of uncertainty related to future but in the short term things are relatively fine. There are ups and downs. Extreme downs at times. I am trying to build relations with the in-laws. They have started coming to our place. They behave strangely at times - taunt and all - but nothing major. DH feels guilty from time to time. I try and tell him that we can all live together and right now we should focus on building our relation.

5. MaritalBliss

MaritalBliss Platinum IL'ite

If u look at it from yr DH'a pov, his parents have done nothing wrong. Though they are intrusive, but to him it looks like concern. My in laws also expect us to bring them out every weekend. Sometimes we fight because of this. Since we are staying separately, my DH feels its his duty to bring out his mum, sis and sis kids every weekend. And like yr in laws, they too always used to purchase things for us and kids. Lately, we stopped bringing them out every weekend..the gifts stopped too. In my opinion, I feel it's v difficult for DH to see what their family is doing is intrusive. I sometimes feel, it will be like this forever. Nowadays, when I suggest that we just go out just us and kids..he refuses. I feel I need to change my ID from marital bliss to marital agony...sigh..

Only advise for u is don't suggest staying together gurl..it would totally cram your style..cos u need privacy and living with in laws will be hell for u...Instead of DH, u may go into depression.

1 person likes this.
  6. indiangurl

indiangurl New IL'ite

Thanks Maritalbliss,

I agree with you...my and inlaws style is very different...from small things such as food habits to what to watch on TV...to bigger things such as outlook towards life. While I realise that parents do need our support and we need to spend adequate time with them but its equally important to be on your own as well. At times, I want to be completely alone, maybe read or write or just watch something on my laptop. When my in-laws are there, I feel uncomfortable spending some time by myself in my room cos I feel that they would feel I am not giving them enough time. Therefore, I feel one should be able to spend some guilt free time as one sees to be fit.

I understand DH's perspective and therefore to keep him happy, I tell him at times that we should all live together. And honestly its not even about living together. Its more about how my hubby keeps hanging on to his mom like he was still 5 years old. Recently one of his relatives came over to our place and explained to him he should start shifting his center of affection from mom to wife. I guess this has had some impact on him.

I get so confused I dont even know who's to blame - myself, my hubby, our relation dynamics, his parents, my parents, our circumstances. Everyone has their own contribution to the situation.

1 person likes this.
  7. Gae3

Gae3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Indian Gurl,

I empathize your feeling.Having read all your post, I felt thank god some1 has gone through my situation.I always though as few people said I have good In laws but I dint have the peace of mind.As u said for many the 19th century MIL who beat and are bad mouthed are the only bad MILs.
    For some of us the mental tensions and not allowing us to be indepedent itself start to irk and then we end up losing our mind.

As told by many IL's here, I have been brought up by parents who wanted me to be Indepandent ata ny point of time.Also I lived in hostels and PG for a span of 7yrs before getting married.And when I got married I dreamed of own house running it all by myself.
    My MIL lives in her village and when ever she visited me she wanted to run the home, she wants me to follow all that she was doing.Which I couldn't accept it. Also after few months I came to know she herself has never followed what her MIL used to do, she has been following all her mothers traditions.And now she expects me to follow what she does.So when ever she visit me she has something to trouble me.
    May be soon she will shift to my house. Dont know what will happen.

By the way Indian gurl, do let me know how is the situation at your end?
    Are u following anything to ease ur difficulties?

8. bubblygal

bubblygal Platinum IL'ite

Dear Indian gurl,
    I can so relate to ur situation !I can sense ur pain!The first thing is never criticse ur inlaws in frnt of ur husband !Be direct u have an issue sort it with them directly but never let it reach ur husband if it does via ur inlaws, tell him tht it was a very trivial issue and it is sorted.Ask him not to interfere in the issues pertaining to u and ur inlaws!Rite now focus on keeping ur husband happy , if ur in laws turn up frequently at ur place entertain them for sumtym n get out with ur husband wen u two are away wat are they gnna do?Indian husbands are mumma's boys u can never change tht so accept it!It is difficult but u need to slowly change him , book movie tickets in advance for both of u one week next week book a restaurant for all 4 of u this way ur entertaining them as well as ignoring them if ur husband questions u can put it this way tht both of u need to spend quality tym with each other!We will go out with ur parents next week!As far as ur inlwas are concerned tell them tht u need to learn how to manage things , tell them they are growing old now they need to give themselves time!This way u wont get into their bad books n they would get the point!

1 person likes this.
  9. Gae3

Gae3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Bubbygal,

Nice advise, This Idea I dint get.
    Can you also advise if they are crazy about going to trips and pestering my DH for the same.
    I don't mind taking for 1 or 2 trips.But every 3 months and paying for 10 people will burn my pocket.What to do?

10. bubblygal

bubblygal Platinum IL'ite

If its a religious trip tell them u got ur pe@#$%^!Or else tell them urnt gettin leave frm work we will plan it next tym keep postponing it!My inlaws always want me to go to temples with them this is the xcuse i give !Not tht i dnt want to go but if i end up goin every mnth to a temple next thing u will c me in himalayas meditating!So the key is postpone it politely and they will 4get eventually!

1 person likes this.