1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Vent..Cant take it anymore from DH!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by kranti1234, May 9, 2014.

1. kranti1234

kranti1234 New IL'ite

Why is that always I can listen any comment any upsetting words against my family, however I should not utter a single word against DH's family or MIL ?
    I am sick of my DH's behavior. He is very loving and caring hubby to me & my daughter one can have, however he has no control over what he has to say about my family, but in response if i say anything in response to MIL behavior he cant tolerate anything , he just goes overly dramatic and just stops talking to me and closes himself. Its been over 1 month we are not in talking terms, I really miss him.

However my parents have done lot to me & I cant tolerate insult for them.
    I am 10 weeks and this hormonal imbalance is driving me very crazy.

2. MrsBV

MrsBV Gold IL'ite

Hi Kranti,

no one has the right to bad mouth your parents not even your DH.. its important for him to realize that if he expects you to respect his parents you expect the same from him... are you saying you are pregnant and he has not spoken to you for a month? are you both in the same house and if so have a word with him tell him that it is very important for you to see that he respects your parents.. and if he expects the same from you, you too dont bad mouth your ILs... just reach a common understanding... where both of you will not disrespect each other's set of parents...

1 person likes this.
  3. Nidhi2014

Nidhi2014 Silver IL'ite

If you feel you are getting raw deal from your DH, be strong and you too behave the same he does when you talk any thing against your MIL. You are preggers? And DH is sulking an d not talking to you?? It's you who should be throwing temper tantrums.. :) just kidding..please make sure you don't go overboard and unfair to talking bad about your MIL..make sure your objections to your MIL are justified ..and at the same time, take no for insults for your parents..make a rule..if DH says something to your parents, and thinks you shud not be angry..then you should be able to do the same with his mother and should not sulk..BTW..something similar happened to me as well this morning..and I am in no mood to go and talk to him..

nidhi

1 person likes this.
  4. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

You are pregnant and not in talking terms with your DH?

Set aside all differences for now and tell him that during this time, you want to be happy and need him on your side.

After the baby is born, this issue can be addressed.

5. kanthtx

kanthtx Gold IL'ite

hi kranti -
    this is unacceptable on ur husband's part... it shows his immaturity on handling his family...

for personal sake and ur child sake u need to relax and let go of this obsession that he is hard on ur parents...

never ever in the future involve ur parents in any discussion.. if at any given time he abuses ur family, just drop the conversation and keep quiet... silent treatment,,, no more continuatuion of discussion... but do not abuse his mother... yes seems unfair, but u need to learn how u can break a fight and get back the conversation about u, rather than ur parents...

2 people like this.
  6. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

whenever he talks ill about your parents, just walk away. go in a different room and give him silent treatment. don't talk anything against his parents or him. He will realize his mistake.

2 people like this.
  7. Lilipad

Lilipad Senior IL'ite

Like others have said , try to move away from the conversation , start talking about something unrelated but of importance to your DH

2 people like this.
  8. Joyoflife

Joyoflife Gold IL'ite

Hi kranti. Have a mature talk to him. Reach a common ground. How immature of him to stop talking to you when you are expecting. No it's not acceptable. Tell him if he bad mouths your family it upsets you the same way it upsets him. So no more throwing dirt at each other. That too when you are pregnant. Tell if he will only get back what he gives. Give respect get respect . Be polite in getting your massage across to him. Be brave. I can truly understand this hormonal imbalance. Used to drive me crazy when I was pregnant. But tell him how rude of him to behave like that when you are pregnant. You have to be brave and get your message across him.

9. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

stop saying things about mil.Come here to vent.Ask him how he feels when i say bad things about your mother same way i feel hurt when he does it to your parents ,so dont do that.Dont go for eye for an eye in this case.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

OP, This is a good suggestion. When he criticizes your family, do not respond back verbally. Stop whatever you are doing. Pause. Look at him for a few seconds, straight in the eye. Walk away. If walking away is not possible, quietly continue doing whatever you are doing.

That will be enough to get the point across and make him reflect on what he just did. In the ensuing silence, his words will echo. You do not sulk or nag. No extended silent treatment. After a few minutes, behave normally. You treat his criticisms like a mosquito that needs to be swatted.

Do not bring it up again. Stop saying 'you always criticize my family' and reduce commenting on his family to a minimum.

2 people like this.