Vedas and Science

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by Tamildownunder, May 31, 2007.

1. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Esteemed ladies,

Vedas and Science:

This is a talk which I gave at Mill Hill Sai Centre, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 /><st1:place w:st="on">North London</st1:place> on the occasion of Bhagawan’s 81<SUP>st</SUP> birthday. I felt excited to go through Sai Vaahini available in web while collecting materials for the talk. I divide the talk in three parts. In part I bring out the quotations from many scientists, thinkers and historians on the subject. In part II I take up the archeological evidences to connect Vedas and science and in part III the science subjects to which Vedas have contributed enormously.

Part I Renowned scientists , thinkers on vedic litreatures

I start quoting the Nobel laureate Prof. Josephson from <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">England</st1:place></st1:country-region> who was awarded Nobel Prize in Physics in 1973 for his discovery on superconductivity. He arrived years later to <st1:country-region w:st="on">India</st1:country-region> and in <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Bombay</st1:place></st1:city>, the press reporters interviewed him asking the purpose of his visit. Everyone expected him to visit Goa, Rajasthan and <st1:place w:st="on">Himalayas</st1:place>. But, he told that he has come for doing research. This astonished many since the facilities for scientific research is well advanced in the west. But, he told,’ I am a physicist and advanced physics is full of advanced mathematics. Advanced mathematics is full of philosophy and the most advanced philosophy is Hindu philosophy as mentioned in Vedas and I have come to study it’.

Arthur Schopenhauer, the famed German philosopher and writer, wrote that: I "...encounter [in the Vedas] deep, original, lofty thoughts... suffused with a high and holy seriousness."

<?xml:namespace prefix = v /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_s1026 style="MARGIN-TOP: -451.1pt; Z-INDEX: 1; MARGIN-LEFT: -90pt; WIDTH: 57pt; POSITION: absolute; HEIGHT: 75pt; mso-wrap-distance-left: 16.5pt; mso-wrap-distance-right: 16.5pt; mso-position-vertical-relative: line" o:allowoverlap="f" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:title="emerson-oval" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\dr\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.jpg"></v:imagedata><?xml:namespace prefix = w /><w:wrap type="square"></w:wrap></v:shape>The well-known early American writer Ralph Waldo Emerson, read the Vedas daily. Emerson wrote: "I owed a magnificent day to the Bhagavat-Gita"

<v:shape id=_x0000_s1027 style="MARGIN-TOP: -497.85pt; Z-INDEX: 2; MARGIN-LEFT: -90pt; WIDTH: 54.75pt; POSITION: absolute; HEIGHT: 75pt; mso-wrap-distance-left: 3pt; mso-wrap-distance-right: 3pt; mso-position-vertical-relative: line" o:allowoverlap="f" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:title="Thoreau-oval100" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\dr\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image002.jpg"></v:imagedata><w:wrap type="square"></w:wrap></v:shape>Henry David Thoreau said: "In the morning I bathe my intellect in the stupendous philosophy of the Bhagavad Gita... in comparison with which... our modern world and its literature seems puny and trivial."

So great were Emerson and Thoreau's appreciation of Vedantic literatures that they became known as the American transcendentalists. Their writings contain many thoughts from Vedic Philosophy.

<v:shape id=_x0000_s1028 style="MARGIN-TOP: -599.9pt; Z-INDEX: 3; MARGIN-LEFT: -90pt; WIDTH: 57pt; POSITION: absolute; HEIGHT: 75pt; mso-wrap-distance-left: 13.5pt; mso-wrap-distance-right: 13.5pt; mso-position-vertical-relative: line" o:allowoverlap="f" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:title="whitehead-oval100" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\dr\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image003.jpg"></v:imagedata><w:wrap type="square"></w:wrap></v:shape>Other famous personalities who spoke of the greatness of the Vedas were: Alfred North Whitehead (British mathematician, logician and philosopher), who stated that: "Vedanta is the most impressive metaphysics the human mind has conceived."

<v:shape id=_x0000_s1029 style="MARGIN-TOP: -674.85pt; Z-INDEX: 4; MARGIN-LEFT: -90pt; WIDTH: 56.25pt; POSITION: absolute; HEIGHT: 75pt; mso-wrap-distance-left: 3.75pt; mso-wrap-distance-right: 3.75pt; mso-position-vertical-relative: line" o:allowoverlap="f" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:title="oppenheimer-oval100" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\dr\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image004.jpg"></v:imagedata><w:wrap type="square"></w:wrap></v:shape>Julius Robert Oppenheimer, the principle developer of the atomic bomb, stated that "The Vedas are the greatest privilege of this century." During the explosion of the first atomic bomb, Oppenheimer quoted several Bhagavad-gita verses from the 11th chapter, such as:
    Death I am, cause of destruction of the worlds..."

When Oppenheimer was asked if this is the first nuclear explosion, he significantly replied: "Yes, in modern times," implying that ancient nuclear explosions may have previously occurred.

<v:shape id=_x0000_s1031 style="MARGIN-TOP: -217.85pt; Z-INDEX: 6; MARGIN-LEFT: -90pt; WIDTH: 54.75pt; POSITION: absolute; HEIGHT: 75pt; mso-wrap-distance-left: 3.75pt; mso-wrap-distance-right: 3.75pt; mso-position-vertical-relative: line" o:allowoverlap="f" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:title="yutang-oval100" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\dr\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image006.jpg"></v:imagedata><w:wrap type="square"></w:wrap></v:shape>

From these statements we see that many renowned intellectuals believed that the Vedas provided the origin of scientific thought.

To be continued....
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007

2. Tamildownunder

Vedas and Science

Part 2: Verification of Vedic knowledge by scientific methods:

In this part, I am talking about three major archeological evidences giving the scientific verification of vedic knowledge. The fact that the origin of Vedas gets established as 5000 B.C or even before.

1.Satellite imagery of the Dried Up <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Sarasvati</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">River Basin:</st1:placeType></st1:place>
    <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeType w:st="on"></st1:placeType></st1:place>
    Using modern scientific methods, such as satellite imagery and dating techniques, it can be shown that the ancient statements of the Vedas are factual, not mythical as erroneously propagated. High resolution satellite images have verified descriptions in The Rig Veda of the descent of the ancient <st1:placeName w:st="on">Sarasvati</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">River</st1:placeType> from it's source in the Himalayas to the <st1:place w:st="on">Arabian Sea</st1:place>.
    [​IMG]

"Pure in her course from the mountains to the ocean, alone of streams Sarasvati hath listened."

The mighty <st1:placeName w:st="on">Sarasvati</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">River</st1:placeType> and it's civilization are referred to in the Rig Veda more than fifty times, proving that the drying up of the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Sarasvati</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">River</st1:placeType></st1:place> was subsequent to the origin of the Rig Veda, pushing this date of origin back into antiquity, casting further doubt on the imaginary date for the so-called Aryan Invasion.
    [​IMG]
    The Satellite image (above) clearly shows the Indus-Sarasvata river system extending from the Himalayas to the <st1:place w:st="on">Arabian Sea</st1:place>. Here the <st1:placeName w:st="on">Indus</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">River</st1:placeType> is on the left, outlined in blue, while the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Sarasvati</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">River basin</st1:placeType></st1:place> is outlined in green. The black dots are the many archeological sites or previous settlements along the banks of the now dry <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Sarasvati</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">River</st1:placeType></st1:place>.

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"></v:path><o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_s1026 style="MARGIN-TOP: -559.9pt; Z-INDEX: 1; MARGIN-LEFT: -90pt; WIDTH: 150pt; POSITION: absolute; HEIGHT: 171.75pt; mso-wrap-distance-left: 0; mso-wrap-distance-right: 0; mso-position-vertical-relative: line" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" o:allowoverlap="f"><v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\dr\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.jpg" o:title="tectonic-shifts"></v:imagedata><?xml:namespace prefix = w ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:word" /><w:wrap type="square"></w:wrap></v:shape><v:shape id=_x0000_s1027 style="MARGIN-TOP: -559.9pt; Z-INDEX: 2; MARGIN-LEFT: -90pt; WIDTH: 129.75pt; POSITION: absolute; HEIGHT: 99.75pt; mso-wrap-distance-left: 3pt; mso-wrap-distance-right: 3pt; mso-position-vertical-relative: line" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" o:allowoverlap="f"><v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\dr\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image002.jpg" o:title="sutlej-river"></v:imagedata><w:wrap type="square"></w:wrap></v:shape>The drying up of the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Sarasvati</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">River</st1:placeType></st1:place> around 1900 B.C.E. is confirmed archaeologically. Following major tectonic movements or plate shifts in the Earth's crust, the primary cause of this drying up was due to the capture of the <st1:placeName w:st="on">Sarasvati</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">River</st1:placeType>'s main tributaries, the <st1:placeName w:st="on">Sutlej</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">River</st1:placeType> and the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Drishadvati</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">River</st1:placeType></st1:place> by other rivers.
    <v:shape id=_x0000_s1028 style="MARGIN-TOP: -115.75pt; Z-INDEX: 3; MARGIN-LEFT: -90pt; WIDTH: 129.75pt; POSITION: absolute; HEIGHT: 99.75pt; mso-wrap-distance-left: 3pt; mso-wrap-distance-right: 3pt; mso-position-vertical-relative: line" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" o:allowoverlap="f"><v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\dr\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image003.jpg" o:title="shaffer"></v:imagedata><w:wrap type="square"></w:wrap></v:shape>Although early studies, based on limited archaeological evidence produced contradictory conclusions, recent independent studies, such as that of archaeologist James Shaffer in 1993, showed no evidence of a foreign invasion in the Indus Sarasvata civilization and that a cultural continuity could be traced back for millennia.

to be continued....

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  3. lalithasai

lalithasai Senior IL'ite

I'm looking forward to reading further. Please do post ...

Sai Ram.

4. Tamildownunder

Dear Lathasai,

Sairam.

I am sorry for the lapse in posting the remaining parts. I shall post them immediately.

Regards,

TDU

5. Tamildownunder

Part 2

2. Evidence for the Ancient Port City of Dwaraka:

Marine archaeology has also been utilized in India off the coast of the ancient port city of Dvaraka in Gujarat, uncovering further evidence in support of statements in the Vedic scriptures. An entire submerged city at Dvaraka, the ancient port city of Lord Krishna with its massive fort walls, piers, warfs and jetty has been found in the ocean as described in the Mahabharata and other Vedic literatures.

This sanskrit verse from the Mausala Parva of the Mahabharata, describes the disappearance of the city of Dvaraka into the sea.
    [​IMG]
    "After all the people had set out, the ocean flooded Dvaraka, which still teemed with wealth of every kind. Whatever portion of land was passed over, the ocean immediately flooded over with its waters."

Dr. S. R. Rao, formerly of the Archaeological Survey of India, has pioneered marine archaeology in India. Marine archaeological findings seem to corroborate descriptions in the Mahabharata of Dvaraka as a large, well-fortified and prosperous port city, which was built on land reclaimed from the sea, and later taken back by the sea. This lowering and raising of the sea level during these same time periods of the 15th and 16th centuries B.C.E. is also documented in historical records of the country of Bahrain.

Amongst the extensive underwater discoveries were the massive Dwaraka city wall, a large door-socket and a bastion from the fort wall.

[​IMG]

The pictures above show two rock-cut slipways of varying width, extending from the beach to the intertidal zone, a natural harbor, as well as a number of olden stone ship anchors were discovered, attesting to Dwaraka being an ancient port city.

[​IMG]
    The three headed motif on this conch-shell seal (above), found in the Dvaraka excavations, corroborates the reference in the scripture Harivamsa that every citizen of Dvaraka should carry a mudra or seal of this type.

All these underwater excavations add further credibility to the validity of the historical statements found in the Vedic literatures.

To be continued....

6. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

waiting for the 3rd part. I think that if the same technique is used we can prove that 'Ramar Paalam' was built during the 'Thretha Yugam' time.
    sriniketan

7. Tamildownunder

3. Thirty-five Archaeological Sites in North India

Apart from Dvaraka, more than thirty-five sites in North India have yielded archaeological evidence and have been identified as ancient cities described in the Mahabharata. Copper utensils, iron, seals, gold & silver ornaments, terracotta discs and painted grey ware pottery have all been found in these sites.

[​IMG]

Furthermore, the Matsya and Vayu Puranas describe great flooding which destroyed the capital city of Hastinapur, forcing its inhabitants to relocate in Kausambi. The soil of Hastinapur reveals proof of this flooding. Archaeological evidence of the new capital of Kausambi has recently been found which has been dated to the time period just after this flood.

Similarly, in Kurukshetra, the scene of the great Mahabharata war, Iron arrows and spearheads have been excavated and dated by thermoluminence to 2,800 B.C.E., the approximate date of the war given within the Mahabharata itself.

The Mahabharata also describes three cities given to the Pandavas, the heroes of the Mahabharata, after their exile: Paniprastha, Sonaprastha & Indraprastha, which is Delhi's Puranaqila. These sites have been identified and yielded pottery & antiquities, which show a cultural consistency & dating consistent for the Mahabharata period, again verifying statements recorded in the Vedic literatures.

To be continued.....

8. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

waiting to see more of the evidence and thanks for posting.
    Sriniketan

9. lalithasai

lalithasai Senior IL'ite

Dear TDU,

I really wish these kinds of proofs get published on "The Young World" or so. I studied in a Christian School and was very hurt every time my teachers used to give an impression to all of us that our beliefs were a myth and demeaned other faiths .

I wish they are still teaching, I'll take these docs and ask them to stop professing incorrect self theories. I remember every moment when Hinduistic principles were mocked by my Christian teachers.

Thanks for such informative post, I'll look forward to reading more.

Sai Ram.

1 person likes this.
  10. mtkm

mtkm New IL'ite

Hi

Thanking for sharing these wonderful articles.Can u please post some more.....iam sure others too will enjoy them.once again thanks for posting

.take care.

regards
    latha