1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Varalotti steals our hearts as well !

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by Chitvish, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear All,
    This morning, I was pleasantly surprised to see a review of our own Sridhar’s book “ Vetriyin Vidhaikal” being published in Kalki. The review is, as can be expected, rave and now, we all know, he richly deserves it ! I loved his munnurai in the book as much as the snippets and rightly, the same has been given a special mention.

Sridhar, which weighs more for you – me as a fan, admirer, reviewer or friend ?

All the best, my dear Sridhar ! Please give me more opportunities to post more and more threads on your writing !! That will be my privilege and more a pleasure, need I tell you ?

Love & regards,
    Chithra.

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Once again...

Dear Chitra,

You seem to be the bearer of good news. How nice! I think all of us feel real proud of our Varalotti's ever increasing popularity. I happen to have the fortune of possessing this book of Sridhar's and am currently reading it. Each one of the episodes are enthralling, thought provoking and full of wisdom. I am convinced that this book will be a reference point to many and will achieve a lot of recognition. Already my premonition about this book seems to be coming true! It is sad that we cannot read the review in Kalki. Hopefully someone will be able to give us a link to it or its translation.

L, Kamla

3. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

What Weighs More?

Dear Chitra,

Thanks for telling me about Kalki's review. But for your phone call early this morning I would not have known about it at all.

I am very happy that Kalki has given a special weightage to my munnurai. Of the 65 episodes in the book, most of them have been collected from the net, heard from friends and some of them my own experiences. The book can rightly be called an anthology. But the munnurai is fully my own and it was written from my heart. Kalki recognising that as good work is an encouragement for my writing.

And now Chitra to your million dollar question. Which weighs more? a fan, admirer, a reviewer or a friend. I would say all and none. Because I don't want to compartmentalise persons. It is not possible to do that. That is why it is very difficult to see a person happy in his office and sad at home or vice versa. If a person is not happy with his work, he would not be happy in his personal life. It is real hell to be the wife of such a man. (Sorry for digressing into my warning bells thread; it seems to have a heavy impact on me).

So you are too great to be compartmentalised into pigeon holes like friend or admirer or reviewer or fan. And suppose let's say I like you more because you are my fan, then my liking is not genuine and is based on the ulterior motive of self-promotion. The relationship we share is based on the wholeness of each of us and the roles we play for the time being do not have a bearing in that.

Thanks once again.
    regards,
    sridhar

4. varalotti

And Here You Are, Kamla!

Dear Kamla,
    When you wrote "It is sad that we cannot read the review in Kalki." I decided to bring it to your eyes by any means.
    Today being Sunday the best I could do that is type in the review and convert it into a pdf file and post it here. (Hope it gets posted without any problem)
    Thanks Kamla. I will always be indebted to you for words like those.
    regards,
    sridhar

Attached Files:

5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Thanks sounds insufficient!

Dear dear Varalotti,

How can I thank you for the pdf attachment! I know how valuable your time is. That you took time on a Sunday and typed, that too in Tamil, and converted it into pdf file for my benefit makes me feel very emotional. I am humbled by your kindness. Thanks so much. This book is a gem and will fetch you a lot of recognition.

Greetings,
    Kamla

6. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    I was wondering why review of your books have not ben done in any of the books or the dailies. I guess the author has to send books to the concerned publication for them to read.
    Kalki is one of the best magazines in Tamil, keeping their standard till date. It is remarkable that they have done the review for your book and it is time too.
    I have made my lending library to buy your books. I also requested my husband to put in a word to his colleague who is in charge of their library. I hope that your books are there in that library also.
    I went thro the books once. I am planning to read them again more slowly and digest each story and article. But most of the stories, I have already read when they had been published in the mags. But still, your stories have that quality to make one go through them again and again.
    As Chithra said, more such books are expected.

7. varalotti

No Sweat, Kamla

Dear Kamla,
    I am faster in typing Tamil than in English. To convert it into pdf takes about 15 seconds. So I would have spend hardly 3 minutes to post that. And for what you have written that is next to nothing.
    Thanks once again.
    regards,
    Varalotti

8. varalotti

You turn the tables against me!

Dear Varloo,
    Consciously or unconsciously I have got a reputation of making my readers weep over my stories. And you have made me weep with your kind words. To say thanks for such deeds would be a manifestation of arrogance. How can I ever hope to repay such kindness? May God bless you and yours always, Varloo.
    regards,
    sridhar

And a good news to all of you. Two of my books are due to be released by 15th of December. One is the Tamil version of The Haunted House coming under the title Manase Manase Kadhavai Thira (the title was suggested by my wife) and the other one is a translation work. I had the blessing of translating 15 real-life wartime love stories pertaining to the 1965 Indo-Pakistan war. I was not sure of my translating abilities. The person who proof-read the translation called me to say that he cried continuously on reading my work. And all of you know, that for me, this is a more precious honour than winning the Sakhitya Academy Award.

regards,
    sridhar

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  9. Preethi

Preethi Gold IL'ite

Congrats and am awaiting...

Dear Varalotti,

Firstly congrats to hear about your book review being published in kalki ...kalki is still known for his quality of articles and to have your book review in it, speaks volumes about your quality of work too...!

I am also congratulating you in advance (let me take that small pleasure of congratulating you first on your book release well ahead of others!) for your forthcoming book release..I am expecting to make a trip to Chennai around that time, When the book is released, I will make sure I return back with a copy of your book(s) too ! (Maybe I can send it to you and get your signature on the book, to pride to my friends and family saying am known friend of this book's author) :) !

Way to go Varalotti, truely your indomitable spirit for writing wonders me ! Great going and all the best for all the forthcoming great ventures of yours !

I am happy and feel proud to being acquainted to you !

Love,
    Preethi

10. varalotti

Thanks Preethi!

Dear Preethi,

Thanks, thanks and thanks. Please let me know when you come to Chennai. My new books will be out on or before 15th December. I will tell you where to buy them and all. (Of course I will post the info in IL as well).

I am also happy of having got your acquaintance.
    regards,
    Varalotti