1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Varalotti On VARALOTTI

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, Mar 7, 2007.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Vijee Madam

Dear Vijee Madam,

I have also heard that name varalapatti being spoken by my very elderly aunt. She was at one time the lone occupant of the Varalotti Agraharam. She was a very distant aunt. And we had appointed a person to take care of her. She passed away in 1995. She used to say that Virudhunagar was once called Virudhupatti. I have seen this name in some old Tamil novels.

Even before I knew this Aandal connection I have started posting Thiruppavai. Please visit this thread to read the original verse, my translation, my transliteration and even my voice chanting the verse.

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/r...discussions/5072-aandals-thiruppavai-1-a.html

I have already posted two thiruppavai songs and one more is due tomorrow.
    regards,
    sridhar

2. varalotti

I am "our writer" gayathri!

Hi Gayathri,
    I am always our writer, Gayathri. Somehow telugu and kannada people like me. My stories have been translated into these two languages. Recently Teddy Bear which appeared in English in DH was translated into Telugu by my writer-Friend
    Somasekar Kolluri. He was happy to report that my story was well received by Telugu people.
    If all of us go on exploring our roots we will come to know that all of us are relatives and share the same roots. The differences came much later.

Now talking of roots, do you know the reason behind your name, Gayathri? The first level explanation will be that it refers to Gayathri mantra. But do you know why did that mantra get that name?
    It is explained,
    Gaayanthaam thraayathe ithi Gaayathrim.
    That which protects those who sing it, is Gayathri.

Happy now?
    regards,
    sridhar

1 person likes this.
  3. varalotti

Dear Vidya,

Liked the way you described the links and sorted out what really matters. The inclusion of this varalotti in what VARALOTTI has flatters me and make me focus on the quality of posts in this site.

Ever since I read Aandals Chitranchirukale (Thiruppavai 29) I have felt the connection. But I never thought it would be this close.

Really thrilled vidya to learn that Ramji has connections to the great Nilakanda Dikshithar. And let me tell you one more common connection. Nilakanda Dikshithar was here in Madurai as the minister of the Nayak Kings. We hear that his great work Shivaleelaarnavam was composed in Madurai.

(Those of you ILites who are historians correct me if I am wrong)

Having heard that I would like to offer my namaskarams to Ramji, the descendant of Sri Dikshithar.

Regards,
    sridhar

4. smileypooja

smileypooja Senior IL'ite

Dear varalotti,

That was a good piece of information you shared with us...it was nice to go back to the krishnadevaraya age....to know about his book amuktha malyada...this i remember reading in my history :coffeebook during my schooling...i did not know its importance then...today i know it has so much flash back to it...anyways the best part is..... i wondered always why you choosed to name your self varalotti but never dared to ask:hide:...today i happy the secret behind your pen name is revelead..and i am proud that my mother tongue telugu is also somewhere associated with this history...

good day..

pooja.

5. varalotti

Dear Pooja,
    thanks for the post. I did not know this information till one website mayyam.com started discussing my writing. One senior member there posted this information.
    Yes there is a close connection between Tamil and Telugu. You know the great poet Bharathiyar?
    When he sang a song about the best things in life he says that one has to go boating on the river Indus (Sindhu) and should be accompanied by women from Kerala. And he says that we should at that pleasant time sing in - hold your breath - Telugu. He says "sundara telunginil paatisaitthu" to sing in beautiful Telugu, he says.
    Telugu is a wonderful language for singing. That's why Thiagarajar's krithis make me cry even though I don't knowa word in Telugu.
    In deep south Tamilnadu there are a group of people called Raju's whose mother tongue is Telugu. But theirs will be heavily doused with Tamil. Its sweet to listen to their conversation because I will enjoy the sweetness of Telugu as well as understand the words as most of it will be from Tamil.

I am happy that you enjoyed this personal snippet.

love,
    sridhar

1 person likes this.
  6. vijay_kart

vijay_kart New IL'ite

Dear Varalotti,

It is probably destined (I don't believe in coincidences) that I have to stumble upon your writings today. And it isn't a coincidence that I came to know about you when I was searching for Thondaradi Podi Azhwar's Pasurams. I still haven't started reading any of your stories yet, which I would eventually after posting this. I did read about the Varalotti History though and it is good to see how profound every location's history is.

I am glad that I found your works which keep me totally engrossed.

regards,
    Karthik Vijayakumar

7. varalotti

Dear Vijay,
    Welcome to IL, welcome to my forums and writings. I am moved to know that it was Thondaradipodi Azhwar who pulled you to me. A really auspicious beginning.

IL is my second home. During the last three years I have written more than half a dozen novels, a lot of short stories, non-fiction, about Shri Ramanuja, Thirupanazhwar's story, translation of Andal's thiruppavai and so on.

Please click the link for index thread for my writing that's below my signature.

You are right, in our country every place has a history. Happy that you liked the one on my native place, the place which gave me my nom de plume.
    love,
    sridhar

8. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Hai,

Nice to read your post and to know the history behind VARALOTTI.

It is a news that Krishnadevarayar was an ardent devotee of Andal. You explained very nicely your 'peyar karanam'.

Thanx for sharing this info with us.

Andal

9. varalotti

Hi,
    Andal herself approving my post! Great.You made my day! Krishna Deva Rayais not only Her devotee but also Her translator. His Amuktha Malyatha is well known in the telugu community.

I am happy that you liked this post.

love,
    sridhar

10. vijay_kart

vijay_kart New IL'ite

Sridhar,

I have been reading through some of the posts from the CV Index and the religious topics were the most conspicuous ones. Andal's Thiruppavai translations, Nammazhwars' Tiruvaimozhi explanations were like gems on the crown of religious wonder. I felt really sad that the thread got ended sooner than i expected and always can't get enough of it.

love,
    Karthik Vijayakumar