1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Valentine day celebration at school?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by rithi, Feb 4, 2010.

1. rithi

rithi New IL'ite

Any ideas how do they celebrate Valentine day at school? Should I pack goodie bags for all 20 kids in my DD's class?

2. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

My daughter's school usually has a party in their classroom itself. Parents signup for snacks, some volunteer for putting goodie bags together thats about it. Other than that you can send valentine cards to your kid's classmates. I don't think you need to send goodie bag for 20 kids.

Check with other parents in your kid's class to see what they are going to do. Each school may have their own ways of celebrating an occasion.

-Uma

3. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

I wouldn't do goodie bag you don't really if the kids have any allergies or have family members with allergies and not allowed to eat certain things.

You can talk to the teacher, my friend is baking some dairy free, nutfree, eggless cupcakes or cookies. See what the other parents are doing, there's usually something.

4. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

With my son,when he was in KG,we sent goody bags with lots of chocolates and even mini games in it since we thought that was what was expected.Turned out we were the only ones who did it!All the rest of them sent a valentine card with a candy/lollipop stapled/stuck to the card.Last yr and this yr(he is now in 2nd grade),they are having a valentine party in the class and parents have to provide some items and if needed,can send cards to the other students.If there is a party in your child's class,sign up for some item and if you want,you can send valentine cards with candies to each of your child's friends.

5. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

The teacher will be able to tell you what is expected. We used to just buy a lot of stickers and drop it in each kid's cubby. A card will also do. On the other hand if the class is having a party you can volunteer to bring something.

Target/Partycity etc will have these little things that can be given for Valentines day.

6. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

This time I bought valentine cards with candies that can be attached to it and kids can write from and to names on each card, I bought it from target and we get it packet of 25 or 30 which will be good enough for distributing to whole class.

Apart from giving these valentine gifts(cards, candies, stickets etc) kids may have party at school .

sujatha.

7. moonriver

moonriver Junior IL'ite

For my almost 4-year old's class, I just need to have cards 'signed' by him. For my first grader, he also needs to write the name of the kids to whom he's giving. We've been specifically asked not to give out any candies, for both the kids. I got Thomas cards for the little guy and Harry Potter for the big one, from Walgreens today. If we're having a snow day tomorrow, I'll get them to sign their cards.

8. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    My 3.5 old DD `s pre school gave us a notice mentioning that each
    child should bring a valentine for their classmates. What does that
    mean? Is it only a valentine card or any small gift? Anybody throw
    some light?

9. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Yes Vidhya,valentines means just a card.You get something called 'Valentine cards' around this time in Target,Walmart etc. in boxes of 20's,25's etc.The cards will be smaller than normal cards.

10. Manaswini08

Manaswini08 Bronze IL'ite

If you go to Walmart you can get a box of 25 cards (on average) for about $2.00

That should be more than enough for a child to bring to school. Just remember to have one card for each student. If the teacher has not contacted you for anything else, than nothing more is needed. If you still feel the need to send in a treat (candy, cupcakes, cookies) please ask the teacher first just in case there may be a child with a food allergy or something. The safest bet is to buy Valentine pencils (pencils with hearts or something like that) and tape it onto each card.

Please don't stress over this....as your child grows there will be more parties and you'll be pros in no time.

Happy St. Valentine's Day Everyone! :)