1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Utter Strangers

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Tubelight, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Radheshyam

Radheshyam Senior IL'ite

A beautiful mind is what I have to say reading your post. The flow of thoughts are very well streamlined that it keeps the reader focused and entertained.

About your post, I have always wondered the same thing about having anonymous friendship. Why do we have so much freedom and clarity in these kinds of relationships than the real world relationship? Why we are ready to share our thoughts, vent out our problems, take advice from "Utter Strangers" and not from real world friends/family?
    May be it is because we are communicating with our minds in the form of written communication...or may be the person who is reading, listens, understands our concern/problems completely before responding... or may be because we are not physically present to see the responding person's reaction.. or may be we have the choice to read and ignore their feedback/advise/thoughts.

I have always loved written form of communication. I feel that it is easier to communicate via words as you are not influenced by the listener's prejudice or body language.
    It all started when our teacher in 8th grade introduced us to the concept of having pen-pals. We could choose a friend from our sister school in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Darjeeling</st1:place></st1:City> and start writing to them. My teacher's idea was to encourage our written communication but I had taken it rather seriously. The name I chose was a native name and I couldn't make out whether it was a boy or girl, but the name sounded nice <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 11.25pt; HEIGHT: 11.25pt" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="0"><v:imagedata o:href="http://www.indusladies.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\$SPRAB~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>. So we wrote each other ; initially it was more artwork and stickers but as years passed we started writing about our life, studies, friends , favorite things that included music, movies, fashion, food and almost everything under the sun. I found out that the person I have been communicating is a girl, a year older than me and she had 4 brothers. Both her parents worked and so on.
    We still communicate with each and we both prefer email to chat or phone call. We have never seen each other in person even though we have had a few opportunities. I think we both like it that way. It gives us more freedom to open up to each other.

Enjoy your meet at <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Bangalore</st1:place></st1:City> and please do not run away from IL if you have another "Dimple Cheeks" episode at the event!!!

Cheers!
    Radheshyam.

2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear TL

Me a Kamala ? HAHA.Could be.

But i have witnesses to prove i am kamal and the witnesses are Cheeniya and Chitvish, and Mithila.How's that !!!:biglaugh

Regards

kamal

3. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Dear Radheshyam

I was glad to see that you have a line of thought identical to mine in this matter. The written word does have a life and power of its own that a face-to-face conversation cannot compare with

So nice to read about your long lasting penfriendship. But i wonder how you resist seeing each other even when there's a chance to meet ! It takes strength to overcome such temptation ! But I do understand the underlying idea of it. I keep corresponding with some relatives who live so far away that we rarely meet. We do keep up a lively chatter over the Net. But on some occassions when we bump into each other on Skype, we often end up doing sheepish polite conversation and are not spontaneous at all !

Thank you so much for your kind words and for sharing your thoughts, Radheshyam.

4. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Dear Kamalji !

Save your defences, i was just kidding !

No need to drag poor Cheeniya, Chitvish, Mithila to the witness box .
    Your posts are certificate enough for you. No Kamala will drool over Pamela Anderson, so openly and so frequently anyway!

:cheers

5. Raba

Raba Gold IL'ite

Dear TL,

Wow! An interesting post.
    I was waiting for your post for long time. :)

I believe we share so much in networking sites because, we will not be judged by our appearaces, status or any other such factors.

Started waiting for your next post:thumbsup

6. Deepali_deepali

Deepali_deepali Gold IL'ite

Dear Sweet stranger!!

Loved reading your post and finally developed an admiration for your writing style. You have narrated the whole topsy -turvy of mind and heart in a classy style. There's always an inhibition when I join a forum, but there is something here, which is irresistible. I always have an apprehension somewhere in the back of mind, while I am on any social site. And this is natural with we ladies..

The incident you shared is hard to believe, but it happened with you.. It is really very hard to believe that a she can be a she on net!!!

Well, though we open ourselves sometimes on net, but it simultaneously brings some kind of insecurity as you mentioned too...

whenever I show any post or anything here in IL to my DH, I make sure that I add "" dear this forum is so real, all ladies, with their daughters and daughters -in- law also a member""..I'm sure it happens with most of us here.

Nice write up..Enjoyed reading and replying to it.

A well deserved post for FP contest..

7. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Dear Raba

I believe we share so much in networking sites because, we will not be judged by our appearaces, status or any other such factors.

Thats quite true.
    Though people want to be kind and say appearance etc. do not matter, only the heart and mind matters, in day to day life, we cannot escape making first impressions about people mainly by their appearance or way of speech. Ofcourse with time our impressions may change. In the cyber world, we are free of such things, because we become friends with an "image" we have of the virtual person from her words !

Thank you for the encouraging FB, Raba.

8. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Dear Deepali

The virtualworld is a very tricky place where nothing may be what it seems to be. We need to sift through various sites before finding something we are comfortable with. Perhaps, Indus catering predominantly to ladies ( esp. Indian ladies) makes us feel more relaxed because we are in the midst of ladies from backgrounds similar to ours.

I'm glad you enjoyed reading the post and am grateful to you for finding it worthy of a FP nomination.
    Thank you very much for writing in Deepali.

9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear dear Tubelight,

You sure are a delight!

Dont know about the general cyberworld, this is the only site I frequent and how can I not be addicted to it when such delicious blogs simply entice me and gets me sozzled! You are to blame!

You are no stranger to me anymore. I know you live in my Bengaluru and that your name is Lakshmi though I prefer the ever effervescent light of the tube kind. Since you say you are a reticent person, I bet I would not have exchanged even half a dozen words with you had we met personally. But here, I know more than you want me to know. Besides, I don't even know me and I live with me! So how does it matter??

I know you well enough to wait eagerly for your next entertaining post. For I surely do know that you are excellent with words!

L, Kamla

Once again Congrats on being nominated to FP of the month list. I know I can never miss out on your posts even in the heavy traffic of posts and blogs because your's will find its way surely to the FP forum! :thumbsup

10. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello Lakshmi,

Wonderful Post - both your thoughts as well as the way you had described it!!! :thumbsup