1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Using radio in India

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by jazzyqueen, Mar 18, 2010.

1. jazzyqueen

jazzyqueen New IL'ite

Hey ladies..
    I am planning to gift my grandmom one of those small radios(the old fashioned ones) which she loves to use before she goes to bed at night. But am not sure if I the radio frequencies will match with the indian standard. Anyone bought one in US and used it India before? Feedback appreciated! Thanks a bunch!

2. raagini

raagini Silver IL'ite

^ do you know its specifications - esp. which frequencies it will cover ? if it is an analogue tuning radio
    then your Grand Mom may not have any problems in catching radio stations in India . Brand & model number
    might help . And please see this Wikipedia article to check the frequencies used by All India Radio

if you are planning for a digital radio then see that radio tunes with 9KHz steps for preset frequencies on MW/LW .
    that is radio should tune to 540KHz , 549KHz , 558KHz , .... ,1377KHz , 1386KHZ , .... 1548KHz ,..., 1566KHz ...

for FM radio , Indian frequencies start at 88MHz and end at 108MHz . it should tune with 0.1MHz steps in between

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I took a cheapo am/fm pocket radio and had no trouble with the Indian stations. Just mentioning...there are radios now that have that crank so you can recharge it even when the power is out...might be an idea if she is in an area where the power is not dependable. You can see on LLBean site but they are available elsewhere also.