1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Unvaccinated Friends - How Not To Meet?

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Laks09, Aug 13, 2021.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Say that the latest advice from your pediatrician is to minimize indoor places and unvaccinated people.

Putting it on pediatrician lets the unvacced friends save face a bit (not that they deserve it). The 'latest' and 'minimize" give you some wiggle room in any future discussion on the topic.

shravs3, Srama and Laks09 like this.
  2. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Uninvite and be upfront about the reasons. Tell her your DS is unvaccinated and you don't want to take chances with his health. Apologize for assuming they were vaccinated and thank her for alerting you so you know to ask first in the future.

Tell them you look forward to having them over after the pandemic ends.

Srama, MalStrom and Laks09 like this.
  3. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

So what have you decided OP.? You may come across similar situations in future where you or family members may have to come in contact with un vaccinated people, maybe other way round, like someone is inviting you to their home and they and/or family members are unvaccinated by choice...or someone in the gathering may not be vaccinated...so you need to be well prepared to answer suitably and without spoiling the relation too.

4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I did call her last night. I was frank and open. I used all of the above in my conversation with her. I thanked her for letting me know especially since my child is considered high risk having been an erstwhile micro-preemie. That his pediatrician has told me to minimize his risk by only mingling with low risk vaccinated individuals for the present.
    She understood immediately. I offered to cancel dinner with both families but she told me we shouldn’t do that. She also told me she didn’t think about the young kids involved and decided to uninvite herself graciously. I’m glad I started this thread. I wouldn’t have thought about the other family, little kids, exposure, pediatrician, son’s preemie status etc. I thought of making the DH the fall guy but didn’t. The hubbies are friends and I didn’t want this to be a pain point between them.

Yes, my state’s stats suck. Yes the gov is behaving like a crazy person. Yes, schools have started with kids going in person without masks and contact tracing of any kind. Even colleges are starting next week with the same policies. I’m just grateful both of my children are in private institutions with strict mask mandates, contact tracing and testing requirements to show up in person. I’ve realized that private schools don’t give a damn about the gov or his policies and can do what they please. At this instance, I’m thankful for it.
    It’s sad that these lawmakers have kids in these institutions but their constituents without choice suffer.

I’ll watch how things go and may even cancel with the other family if they aren’t comfortable. They are even homeschooling their kids because of the gov’s decision. Hard times all around. Hope things improve without getting worse around here.