1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Unsolicited Advice By Elders.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Feb 26, 2024.

1. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

This is a very tricky thing and it is not new every generation has gone through it. Bluntly saying elders should keep to themselves is not right. and blunting as a receiver thinking elders should keep to themselves is not right either - (mind sometimes blocks when we think we shold not listen)

i live in nj where schools are major in asian and indian community. we might think desi kids are nice and do what is right and healthy. but i hear lot of drugs and pre-marital s.x in high school happening. sometimes seniors have a sharp intuition . so everything advise is not a bad advise.

but at the same time, middle stuck gen - us parents need to communicate that not every advise is going to be accepted and it is not an insult just because that advise is not valid.

nandinimithun and HariLakhera like this.
  2. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

Being from the younger generation, I have opinions on this topic. I can share them, but the elders don't like to hear the opinions from the younger generation when it goes against their opinions. Hence, I shall not opine.

HariLakhera and Viswamitra like this.
  3. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Finest Post Winner

I fully agree.

4. HariLakhera

True this is a double-edged sword.
    There are two types of advice, solicited and unsolicited. Both are welcome and unwelcome, depending upon who is giving and who is receiving. I would prefer to limit it to family elders and other family members.
    It is generally said, though mostly jokingly, that elders get confused (Sathiya in Hindi) after 60. The reason possibly is that they are not aware of the reality on the grounds. To some extent, it is true. Forget about NJ, premarital s.x is happening in India i.e. Bharat and the percentage is 60. One of the most common reasons is birth control pills. Can we close our eyes to this? Druds is another issue. Both were not common in our days in the 60s.
    Maybe, we have to travel with time. Grandchildren coming late in the night, going out as they wish.
    There is no need to keep a record. Their parents are there to take care of it.

nandinimithun and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. HariLakhera

As Shri Viswa said, IL is a group with members of the young and elderly. I am not saying old, because old, as they say, is numbers do not matter.
    Please feel free to express your views.

Thyagarajan and Thoughtful like this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

In IL you have freedom to post your opinion. Members here are not opiniated. THEY listen hear and welcome posts from young and old with an open mind. We may agree to disagree but that should not deter young ones from posting there view or averment here.

joylokhi, HariLakhera and Thoughtful like this.
  7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

opinionated