1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Underutilized Strategist...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by infinitehopes, Mar 2, 2009.

1. infinitehopes

infinitehopes Bronze IL'ite

As I travel within India or even all over the world, I always think about
    - Why are some cities better than others?
    - Why are some contries better than others?

For example,
    - South Bombay is better than suburban Bombay.
    - Sigapore is better than Chennai.

After spending so many years of my life thinking about this high contrast in the world, one fine day, I saw an aura around my own head in the mirror! No, it wasn't a light-bulb shining exatly behind my head, but it was an aura which appeared due to a great insight I had got into this problem.

It dawned on me - one fine day - while standing on the side of the road, waiting for a bus!

I realized that all the strategist, who should be part of different government bodies and deciding the future of our country - were actually driving "auto-rikshaws"! What an immense underutilization of their talent.

I know its my theory - so here goes the explanation. Just watch an Auto-rikshaw.

They know "exactly"
    1. Where to stand - so that "maximum" traffic gets blocked.
    2. Where to stop - so that they get the best fare. It could be middle of the road, middle of a junction, middle of anything - point is stop where the fare is.
    3. When to drive in "right-most" (India) lane so that they can take the needed right turn after 10 km.
    4. When to drive fast i.e. when traffic is bumper to bumper.
    5. When to drive slow i.e. when the road is empty.
    6. When to think and look for fare at the same time - especially crowded junctions - because that's where the fare is. Thinking part is critical, because they have to choose the fare.
    7. When to talk to their family and friends on mobile i.e. when they are driving in right-most lane at peak traffic hours.
    8. When to refuse a fare
    9. When to play the "overtake" game with fellow "auto-rikshaw" i.e. when the road is single lane and very busy. Also, they do not want the fellow auto-rikshaw driver to feel bad. So they just create an illusion of "over-taking". After all, this is democracy. Everyone has same rights.
    10. Where to wait for fare - where there is bus stop, there is fare.
    and so on. I can go on and on like this.

They also make minimum use of available resources. E.g.
    - When they want to turn to right, they will give the signal with hand, just enough for their passenger to see. I think they want the passenger to relay it to the traffic behind.
    - When its raining, its good to let the rain in. Water is a costly resource.
    - When its sunny, let the auto get sanitized with the heat. Lot of people sit in it, so its important to keep it sanitized.
    - Why waste the red-light? No one is driving on the other side, so lets cross.
    Again - and so on.

Their culture is so powerful, that their pet dogs also inherit it. Next time if you see a dog sitting in the middle of a crowded road - unaffected by all the crowd, look for his owner in a nearby auto.

After considering their understanding of "critical paths", I sincerely feel that, if the ruling party really want to succeed, they should employ some of these auto-rikshaw drivers into their teams for defining the strategy.

Next time you see an "auto-rikshaw" driver, thank him for being so down to earth and performing the trivial job of taking you from one location to another.

Now coming to South Bombay and Singapore, I think they have already employed all the auto-rikshaw drivers for strategy development. Hence there are no autos - just progress!

2. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear inifinitehopes,
    Now that your aura is expanding, i appreciate you have solved all the unsolved problems, may be you should be in the city planner board.
    I always admired the autos as i call them as life blood in the city without which city will be paralysed. Agree they like dabbawallas must be sent to all countries to teach the startegies, may they shd teach all citizen, we will be better ,cleverer & smarter of the lot
    Enjoyed your post and your style of thinking
    Jaya

3. jaijui0

jaijui0 Senior IL'ite

hi infinite hopes,
    i do like ur theory about auto ricksaw wallahs yes their lot could be compared to the best of politicians and other smart people ..
    i like ur free style of reasoning
    jaijui

4. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Infinitehopes,

Good one! So you have infintehopes on our autowallah...

Your theory is very good and should say you have a very observant eye.

Keep coming more dear.

5. infinitehopes

Hey Ladies,
    Thank you for your f/b!
    Most of my theories arise due to "relocation" issues - i.e. to have a peaceful drive on roads, we should have only 2 and 4 wheelers. So what will these 3 wheeler drivers do!

So, I thought about it and analyzed their best traits. Only if they are used in a constructive manner - I feel they have a bright future :)

ha ha.. I don't know what I am talking about... I don't want auto-rikshaws on the road ! Can someone just take them off?

6. Miya

Miya New IL'ite

Hello, Thanks so much for being there. I would like to take the discussion offline. Email me at miyame7 at gmail dot com. I hope the moderators will allow it. I am so tech savvy but I find navigating in IL diffuclt. I would also like to thanksivapriya and write to her.

7. infinitehopes

Dear Miya,
    I am facing some technical issues. hope to get them resolved. Until then I cannot access even my mails. But I can access PM facility on IL. Just wanted to update you... I will soon try to get in touch with you.. Until then, I can simply request you to complete 50 posts and get access to personal messaging facility on IL. We can then communicate.

8. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Infinitehopes,that is a very detailed analysis you have done which can be submitted as a thesis to procure PhD.

I loved the way you put forward your statements with corroborating evidence to sound irrefutable.

Like your peeping avatar, you are vigilant which makes you a good writer with great content.I enjoyed reading your blog.Look forward to more.

9. infinitehopes

Dear Sabitha,
    Thank you very much for your f/b. Getting a PhD - not bad? What will it be called? PhD in _______?

10. infinitehopes

Dear Miya,
    Do you come here to read the comments?
    I am unable to access my personal mails at home too. So its very tough for me to send email to you.

Can you somehow complete 50 posts to get the PM facility activated?
    Please do that - so we can interact through PM.