1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

ugh !

Discussion in 'TV' started by vidyasarada, Dec 27, 2006.

1. vidyasarada

vidyasarada Senior IL'ite

Hi all
    Years ago, ads for sanitary napkins caused a lot of embarrassment all round but they soon got accepted and became passe. Remember the lady whispering sheepishly : " Kaise kahoon ................?( Eppadi solvadhu?) Well, we have come a long way,baby! We are no longer queasy about showing the actual napkin absorbing liquid . But should we have young girls in white tight fitting dresses showing off their behinds to prove theres no staining? The way the girl pulls up her shirt and turns her bottom this way and that in front of a mirror is tasteless . And remember , the TV is in the living room with everyone from schoolchildren to the pizza delivery boy forming the audience with you!:oops:

Ad-makers, self regulation please ! or am i being too 'square"?

VS

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

no

VS,

No, it is distasteful. There cld be a subtler way of getting the mssg thru. U are not 'square'.

And while talking of sannies, I heard that it costs very little to actually make one, while we pay a lot to buy them. Imagine, if sannies could be made cheaper, more women esp in lower sections of the popn cld have access to them and be less tense. Sorry for digressing.

regards
    V 2 4

3. vidyasarada

Digressing further, many work places in our country do not have decent incineraters for disposal . Even the garbage bins from ladies- washrooms are carelessly emptied into the larger general piles and it is disgusting to find thinggies strewn about at streetcorners and in storm water drains.

I dint kno. manufacturing cost of naps. is low. But i kno. the polyfill in superabsorbant pads is non-bio-degradable. ( Baby diapers incl.)

VS

P.S. : One of the first "culture shocks" i encountered on setting up home in Indonesia was the ridiculously low cost of naps. compared to Indian brands. And i am not kidding when i tell u some ladies actually bought two dozen packets everytime they went home on holiday along with the usual load of chocolates and cosmetics!

4. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

yup, takes 6 months for a single tampon to join earth. Towels take longer. And chemical absorbents cause greater incidence of diseases in women.

Amen, to yr comment abt low cost of sannies in Indonesia.

5. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Yes,Vijayasarada,I too felt the same about that scene in the napkin ad.Whenever that comes up on screen,I just sit and squirm.I really found that to be distasteful.

In another ad, a mother drives a bike with her daughter and here too they focus exactly on the 'behind' portion of the daughter when the bike goes over a bump on the road.:oops:

Why can't they just tell us that it does not stain and stop with that...why demonstrate?

6. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

i also felt the same when the ads were being shown. i will not blame the public i will also blame the participants who act in anything for the sake of few tuppence. it is very disgusting especially the one in which the mother rides the scooty with the daughter behind.in fact as some said napkins cost less outside than in india. i make it a point to get couple of them whenever i go to abudhabi.it is high time that such ads were banned.

7. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Worser effects!!!

Hi al,
    Good that some one has opened up this topic.Had seen worser effects of this S.napkins advt.

I had been to my friends house for lunch,she has a brother of 12 years of age.My friends was the eldest, she has a younger sis and a bro.Her sis was writing the record book(written only in fountain pens) and she ran out of ink.She tried to refill ink and spilled some of them on the table.My friend shouted at her for doin a messy job. Within a flash of a second her brother went to the sisters shelf pulled out a sanitary napkin and wiped the ink(exactly what was shown on the TV).It was a rude shock for me and my friend and her sis were embarrassed to the core.

Here there are 2 mistakes:

1.My friends mistake of keeping the S Napkins within the bros reach.
    2.TV advt.

When will these kinda advts stop their so called novel idea of marketing the products?????

Regards,
    Aishu

8. radhavenkatesh

radhavenkatesh Silver IL'ite

:)

i just remember when my son was a kid once asked me wot wishper was i had to jst tell him its ladies huggies :)) and he just kept quiet and never asked me after that :))

9. vidyasarada

Hi Radha
    Ladies Huggies was inventive indeed. Thank goodness yr. little one dint ask why " big people" like Ladies need Huggies !:mrgreen:
    Vs