1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Uff..My insecure MIL

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by sweetestshweta, Aug 24, 2015.

1. sweetestshweta

sweetestshweta Gold IL'ite

Hey friends..
    Sorry for being away for so long.I met with an accident and have been bed ridden for quite sometime.Better now..
    Couldn't continue the job because of it and left it.DH tried to manage house and kid with his job but couldn't because of his hectic and touring job..
    Meanwhile,as soon as the session ended,my SIL and MIL started bugging for shift in her place.Eventually she had her say.MIL is staying in the parental house.SIL shifted to a bigger city with her kids.But the things got really ugly and too much for all of us.H and BIL literally had to fight but the ladies would not budge.Finally,the rules were laid out about expenditure.Since I am not earning and my medical expenses were also too high,we just agreed to the amount we were earlier giving.
    She is staying in a rental 2BHK.BIL is also giving similar contribution.The family rental income from old properties is totally going to her.MIL is still not contributing openly although secret money is still going there..I was not well and DH was accepting the wrong done by MIL and SIL so there was no point fighting with him.He tried putting up point but shameless SIL almost shifted secretively without telling anyone-with MIL at her back..
    Anyways,the current issue.I tried to ignore all this drama so that I can recuperate soon.My DD is also suffering a lot coz of my injuries.DH and I have bonded well in these tough times.We are keeping the limit to give SIL intact.
    Since he had a lot of work related travel,my family was worried about my condition.My mom and dad came alternatively to help me taking leave but they can't stay for so long so they decided that I move with them for sometime-this will helpme recover soon,will help DH by taking off some burden and also DD will get adequate care.
    My MIL was absent from the scene-first on the pretext of helping SIL in shifting.Later,she came but that lady won't just help at all!! Rather she would eat,sleep,watch tv,never took care of DD,not even supervised servants-so I got no help from her.Every alternate day she would either start discussion about how good and efficient my SIL is,how well she takes care of her kids,how she is literally surviving on a low budget in a big city.I got sick of it and requested my H to sent her back so that I can be at peace.
    I have come to my parents' place and am relieved and recovering well now.DH comes every fortnight to meet us.But no!!My MIL just can't see us happy.She is now crying over phone how she misses her granddaughter and wants to see us.
    DH ignored for a while.She is literally calling him everyday.Then,she started telling BIL,who is abroad about this and he is too telling DH how their lovely mother so much wants to be with the child.SIL has joined this bandwagon too..
    So now,my MIL wants that either she comes here-to my parents' place for a few days which I don't want because she is very judgemental and very negative.My parents are simple working couple-don't want to bother them nor want to spoil DH's mother's impression there.
    Second option is-she can come to DH's house and visit me with him whenever he comes.This is a better option-no prolonged stay and presence of DH will keep her in control.But she staying alone with DH is also giving me jitters-I have toiled a lot in making DH see the true faces and reality of both ladies.She will definitely play sob stories and emotional drama to win him back.
    Third option is-I go back.Presently I am able to walk but will still take some time to be able to manage my house and kid.
    Everything looks like lose-lose situation.. Actually I think MIL is getting insecure because of my proximity with my parents.After marriage,have never been able to stay for long with them coz of job and other family duties.She gets jittery even if they come to visit me and behaves weird.DH is saying-it's looking like we are avoiding her and don't want her to come..
    What to do?

1 person likes this.

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Hey SS....Take care dear. Glad you are fine and getting better.

Frankly speaking,someone really needs to tell your drama queen mil to STFU and cut out the drama.She had a chance to help out but she did not. You having to go to your parents place is showing her in a bad light,so the extra drama to appear like she cares.

How about you tell your husband to tell her you will soon be back home so she should hold her horses ,then you keep delaying.

Or if you have the heart to send your dd to your place with husband and let mil take care of her,that will work too. She will have to finally take care of her or husband gets to see her true face.You get to stay with parents and husband can't complain .Hope your dd keeps her far too busy for her to work her magic on your husband.

If these don't work...just go back for a week ,then back again to parents place for some more TLC.

3. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

Ask MIl to come to your DH's place, you go there with your DD for a weekend, and come back to your parents' house on Monday morning, after DH leaves to office. And be sure to tell your MIL that doc has asked you to take it easy for a few more weeks, so she can see her granddaughter after 3 weeks next.

Yes, she will be alone with her DS. But I think that is the least compromise possible.

4. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

It doesnt make sense tht ur mil comes to ur parents place while they already have the responsibilty of u n ur daughter....is ur mil stupid or what....
    why she is so desperate to see her granddaughter just now....why cant she wait???had it been years she hasnt seen her ???
    everybody knows tht u r not well hence at ur parents place so why she is creating problem for u at this time instead of helping u....other family members joining their hands with her and pressurizing u and u people getting pressurised. ....

Dont get presseurized ....ur dh must tell her that when u will recover u will come back to home wth dd....then she can spend time wth dd as much as she wants....till then she can wait....
    dont come in this emotional useless drama....be firm...dont givin

1 person likes this.
  5. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

OP, First and foremost , take care of yourself. Tell your hubby to stop badgering you with useless things. Yes useless things like MIL and her wanting to see grand daughter. Why the sudden love? Oh The love emerges when they need spice in life and need to stir some fights in DIL 's and son's life.

Best option is tell your hubby to bring her and send her back. First of all you shudnt have returned back to IL's when SIL- MIL forced you. All they want is always to keep DIL's in sight to make them miserable. Never put yourself in that position again. However loving they are, given their track record. Your hubby has put up with insane demands of money before. Seeing it work they are continuing. If this didn't wake him up nothing will. Your in laws are heartless to demand same contribution with you still in recovery. Your SIL is a spoiled brat who needs a dose of reality. Sadly your hubby is not doing it. It will be your loss and your daughter's loss.

Give a stern warning to hubby. He needs to wise up and think about you as family and not go on filling an bottomless pot like MIL - SIL. Take care of your health. That's the most important thing right now. Good Luck.

3 people like this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Stop giving that money to your SIL/MIL. You are now a single income family, and have a child. Be more responsible with your money.

Ignore grandma's new found love for the grandchild.

Better still - all change phone numbers. Looks like all are living in separate houses and countries and still poking noses into each others lives. Who is your BIL to interfere in how much/when your MIL sees your child?

4 people like this.
  7. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

Just stop taking calls from your in-laws for sometime...
    Whenever they ask you to accommodate them/come back to in-laws place just tell them how sick and unwell you are and how you never got any help from them..Sometimes you have to be straightforward and forthright when people trouble you unnecessarily.

8. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

This.....
    You both allow too much interference from bil and let him influence your decisions that should only be taken by you.

Agree with Rihana...this is a good time to reduce /stop financial aid to sil . The brat sponge needs to know the value of money.If she can fight against the brother and shift city on her own,she can go out and earn some money too.You are the ones who need help now.

1 person likes this.
  9. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

SS,

A mixed bag of blessings huh? In the middle of all the bad stuff, only silver lining is that you and your h have bonded well. Good to know you are with parents and recovering.

Re: your issue, normally I would not suggest this but... Dont take any of 3 options you have presented. Instead take all the time you want in your parents house to recover fully and completely, mentally and physically. But, to MIL, keep telling her, yes I will come back, I will shift back in two days and delay your return on one pretext or the other. That is the only way in which she will understand that her dramebaazi isnt working. Besides it is not like you are enjoying with your parents, you are recovering from n accident. So enough is enough.

Re: BIL, you and your h need to grow a thick skin. Just because he said so doesnt mean you have to immediately react by changing your plns. First of all your h should reply back 'yes mom is like that. She keeps telling me also she misses you (BIL) all the time. I just dont tell you because I dont want you to feel guilty about it. ' or ' didnt she tell you what a bad accident SS had? she really needs to recover. She will return soon.' Secondly so what if he tells? You ppl say, 'oh', 'ah', 'yeah', 'is it? and change the subject. There is no need to change your plan because of someone's prodding. You are adults, you are responsible ppl and you have taken this decision based on some reasons right? So dont be swayed. OP, please understand that when you and your h react by changing course to this kind of suggestions form this kind of source it gets noticed immediately. Next time even more such suggestions will come your way. So grow a thick skin. Just say, 'oh is that so?' and leave it. After several hints, if they ask for an explanation say what is the problem -- you ve not recovered and what you have decided --you will come when you are ready to.

3 people like this.
  10. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Can you return the favour to your BIL? Can you get your dh to keep badgering him about how much MIL misses him and to come to India? Can he do that at the begining and end of each call? Then he will slowly get the message and start minding his own business. Rest like everyone else pointed out, don't go and don't have her over to your dh's house. Just tell dh you are too ill to consider all this and that to not stress you out with such discussions.

2 people like this.