1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Types Of Teachers

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Feb 4, 2024.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

“Language of the Gods” is how Sanskrit is known in general, generating love and hate about this wonderful language based on the mindset of everyone. The grammar of this language is so unique, enabling this only living language that is capable of coding a program in the computer. I am sure many reciters of Sanskrit Slokas realize inherent peace and happiness by just reciting the hymns. It is unfortunate this language is used only for the purpose of recitation and not in common use except in a village in Karnataka. However, it still lives hidden in many languages practiced in India.

It is amazing to know how many words are there in this language to describe a function that is commonly known in English as a Teacher or Trainer or Coach or even a Preacher. The one who provides information for the students to learn from it is known as “Adhyapak”. The student either assimilates this information in his memory or uses it for a limited purpose of passing an exam. This is applicable to most teachers in the teaching profession now.

The next category is called, “Upadhyaya.” This is one who imparts knowledge combined with information. This could be applicable to research guides, professors, and other titles similar to that who enables the researches to stay focus and submit their thesis with their conclusions. The teachers who focus on providing life skills and morality lessons can fall under this category provided their teaching helps the children to apply what they learn into their real life.

The one who imparts skills is called, “Acharya”. If you notice Drona in Mahabharatha is known as Acharya as he taught the entire Kuru clan the skillset needed to defend their country and engage in warfare as needed. In this category, Acharya should know the inherent nature of each student. For example, Drona made Arjuna an expert in archery when Bheema and Duryodhana were trained in Gadayudha (mace fight). Acharya brings the best skills in each student.

The one who can give a deep insight into a subject is called, “Pandit”. For example, those who learned and recited Vedas for many years can help other students to learn the meaning of various recitations and the effect of such recitations. Gurukulam is an ideal example for such Pandits. They not only educate Vedic scriptures at length but also helps them to be independent and courageous while remaining humble.

The one who has a visionary view on a subject and teaches you to think in that manner is called, “Dhrista”. After Bhisma was defeated in the battlefield lying in the bed of arrows, Pandvas were shedding tears approached him and asked, “We fought this war as guided by you. If you die now, who will guide us if we end up getting the Kuru Rajya back from Kauravas?” He waited for his death as he had the ability to die as he wished and spent those days in the bed of arrows giving the Pandavas incredible insight into how to rule their Rajya. He knew the needs of the people and the ability of the Pandavas and hence he can be called “Dhrista”.

The last category is known as “Guru”, the one who can awaken wisdom in a person, leading that person from darkness to light. The one who enables a person to experience his divinity is truly a Guru. They are worshiped for many more years even after they leave the mortal coil. Buddha, Jesus, and Prophets who came before and after them taught invaluable insight to men to realize their inherent divinity. They demonstrated how to do it by leading an ideal and purposeful life. India also is blessed with many such Gurus and sometimes, even Supreme Reality itself appears as an Avatar to transform the human beings into spiritual being realizing their true nature. A perfect example is how Krishna chose Arjuna to teach Bhagavad Gita. If you know of another language that is capable of describing the functions of teaching in so many categories, kindly educate me.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2024
    satchitananda, maalti, Srama and 4 others like this.

2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

I like every sentence you posted here about the beauty of God's language.
    In sanskrit we had a part of grammar known as " shabdha". A root word can be used in 24 ways by adding just a mono syllable word. No known language in the world has this type oc complete clear comprehensive grammar. At one stage NASA was examining to use of sanskrit based computer programme in their space science .
    I expect more inputs here from stalwarts @jayasala42 @Srama @umaakumar @joylokhi

maalti, Srama and Viswamitra like this.
  3. Viswamitra

You took me back to 1989, the year in which a group called Natural Language Processing was formed inside Center for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC) to explore how to use Sanskrit as a programming language back in India. I worked in Pune as Chief Financial Officer of C-DAC at that time.

But now, the research has advanced into many other areas including analysis of Vedas, finding the meanigful Sanskrit words, Graphic Intelligence-based Script Technology (GIST) and many more.

Here is a research paper for your review and I am sure you would enjoy reading it:

https://www.allresearchjournal.com/archives/2017/vol3issue6/PartS/9-1-86-501.pdf

maalti and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What a thought-provoking snippet! I have come across those Sanskrit terms for teachers but never thought of them as different types of teachers.
    Adhyapak, Upadhyaya, Acharya, Pandit, Dhrista. I want to spend some time and see if there can be any English terms to closely correspond to each. We do already have Teacher for Adhyapak, and Professor, research guide for Upadhyaya.

5. Viswamitra

@Rihana

Thank you for your response and appreciation. I didn't know the differences either until I was able to understand the difference through an article I read recently.

I will eagerly wait for equivalent words in other languages including English.

6. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Finest Post Winner

Very thoughtful post by Shri Viswamitra.

Adhyapak, Upadhyaya, Acharya, Pandit, Dhrista, and Guru with different hierarchies just as teacher, lecturer, assistant professor, professor, dean possibly.
    I have very high regard for my teachers from primary schooling to post-graduation. At every stage, they were my gurus.
    The other day I was watching a documentary about Kota, the education center for competitive exams. Every class has up to 200 students. It is difficult to figure out how one teacher can handle so many students and pay individual attention. It is for the student to contact the teacher to seek clarification. The amount of stress the students go through leads to suicides in some cases.
    Teaching is a profession now and like any other profession it is demanding but few can meet it.

maalti, Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  7. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Wonderful snippet on truly God's language! We have across the various terms for teachers through our hindi language lessons too, but never gave a thought to the deep meaning and variance in the different terms used. Thanks Mr. viswa for enlightening us. Though i have been chanting the different slokas in sanskrit and learning their meaning too, it is only over the last 4 to5years that have started learning the grammar and pronunciation rules in sanskrit to enable to do the chanting without mistakes. Itis a very fulfilling experience and the peace and satisfaction that is experienced is unparalleled.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
    maalti, Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  8. Viswamitra

Thank you Hari Sir for your response and appreciation. It is indeed difficult to make personal attention if a teacher has 200 students. I am so pleased to hear your respect to all the teachers in your life. I also have respect for those who shaped my career at work especially all my bosses. I was so lucky to have excellent bosses who taught me so much.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

Thank you @joylokhi madam for such a wonderful response. My wife is such a regular reciter of Rudram, Chamakam, Vishnu Sahasranamam, Lalitha Sahasranamam, Medha Suktham, Purusha Suktham, Kandar Shastikavacham, Mookapanchasathi, Narayaneeyam and many more. She being a Sanskrit student, she always grasp the meaning of each recitation.
    I am not well-versed in Sanskrit but fascinated by everything I learned about it. We have a University in Florida to teach Sanskrit.

Sometime back when Obama was the President, I heard two westerners reciting Rudram in the White House. I am fascinated to see how much of interest Westerners show to learn more about Sanskrit. Many German scholars spoke so respectfully about Sanskrit and Vedic Scriptures.

maalti, joylokhi and Thyagarajan like this.
  10. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

Preceptor