1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Two Times Rice For 6 Months Old??? Need Advice.

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by SaranKrish, May 4, 2016.

1. SaranKrish

SaranKrish New IL'ite

Hi ladies,

My daughter is 6 months and 1 week old.. She was having my milk for 5.1 months. Suddenly she had diarrhea prob and doctor has suggested rice kanji. So, started giving that thrice a day, very liquid state . Then, my mil insisted to give thick kanji and gave that. She asked to start idly and rice. Though I was not ready , my husband also insisted and hence started that. So, within 2 weeks, we started kanji, idly and rice for her. Now, her diet is mrng rice. After noon and night kanji. They are feeling like breastmilk won't be sufficient for t remaining time. And want to introduce some juice as evening food. My mil also asking me to give rice instead of kanji in t Eve. I don't know how to deal this situation. We have met almost 3 paed and all are saying like oly two times outside food for baby and remaining should be breastmilk.
    My husband who was initially happy when she was getting my milk, is now thinking that milk won't be enough. No where I read giving rice twice to 6 months Baby and 4 times outside foods.
    I need ur valuable suggestions to answer them.
    I resigned my job to take care t baby oly. I feel like they are trying to overloading her and they are not happy with the milk she s getting from me.

Pls do reply and help me.

Last edited: May 4, 2016

2. Gaiya3

Gaiya3 Gold IL'ite

Hi
    As long as you are not low on milk supply, you can feed the baby until 9-12 months at least. Most babies show signs of weaning around that time. Do you know the reason for diarrehea? You can try feeding mothers milk first and after an hour you can try solid food. introduce one new food per week so that if at all if there is any allergic reaction you can isolate it sooner. Try different (seasonal) vegetables fruits (mashed/pureed) too. Instead of plain rice kanji you can try sprouted ragi kanji (homemade flour) which will be more nutritious Hope this helps. Take care

3. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi OP,
    I think BM is best as long as you can feed that.

But from 6 month on wards, they need more than milk. If I rembr correctly infants iron stores ( which they build in womb) starts depleting so to cope up with that, we need to start solids at 6 months and usually earlier. so Giving her solids is okay. FYI, Milk does not have Iron and Vit D. Usually peds here recommend multi-vitamins if kids are not on formula.

Now your problem is giving rice or rice kanji 2 times. May be you can reduce the amount each time.

Many people/cultures give rice as first food since it is easy on babies stomach. Just so u know, rice is supposed to have small amounts of arsenic. Slowly you can start adding other foods/grains.

4. whitedaisy

whitedaisy Bronze IL'ite

my baby is 6months 2 weeks old. and this is what i know. :

At the age of 6 months baby needs milk. whether it is BM or formula, they need milk for bone strength and all. that's why doctors say only 2 times solid food. from 7th month you can give 3 times solid food.
    if mother's milk is not sufficient you need to give formula. solids are not alternative for milk.
    I am also not getting enough milk, but i am giving formula.
    Ask doctor next time what to do if you are not getting enough milk, if possible call doctor.

5. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

Until 1 year, milk should be the main food for the babies. My doctor asked me to give solid food as much as the baby can take along with his daily milk quantity. Doctor asked me to take care than the baby take 28-32 oz of milk per day apart from the solid food.

Even if you start solid, you should go with iron fortified cereal instead of rice. Babies usually loose their iron deposits around 9th month and it is important to supplement it.

I pump at work and here is what I do for my 7 month old - 2.5 spoon cereal mixed with 4-5 oz pumped milk twice a day. 2 times formula milk when I am away at work. I breastfeed him 2-3 times though the night on his demand.

6. pinktulip2k

pinktulip2k Junior IL'ite

Hi, BM is very good but baby from 6 month needs more fat and iron. I have an 8 month old baby. I used to give him store bought oats porridge, mashed banana, bottled baby food like mashed potatoes n corn, carrots. I take care of baby all by myself so I buy baby food at times. Also store bought baby food already contains the required amount of fat but when preparing at home, please add some butter or ghee whichever your baby likes. Eating too much of rice n carrots can give constipation in babies. I started giving BM as a dessert after every meal and my baby n I were both happy with it.

7. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@SaranKrish
    Hi, I have an healthy 9-month-old son and my in-laws are from TN. I can understand the influence of rice (culturally). My SIL started her son on rice right around 6th month(my SIL baby looks plumpy and cute). My husband insisted on me putting my son on rice too coz of his mother's influence. I didn't do it. I took my husband to my pediatrician and made sure he heard what she recommends about my baby's diet. However, I don't recommend rice at all. At a later stage in child's life they are prone to getting diabetes way too early.

Try Raagi flour mixed with mashed/ puree veggies and fruits and breast milk.
    I am advised by the doc to give my son veggie/fruits puree with breast milk or formula and rice/ whole wheat cereals.

8. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

OP, 2 times rice for baby this early may be too much .The baby wont be able to digest it.Idli also maybe too much this young.You can give baby oatmeal mixed with milk.Dont do it with fat free milk, becoz the baby needs all energy from fat in milk.You can even give normal breakfast like upma, dosa. Lunch can be rice with light dal mixed with veg like carrot which is good for babies.In the evening a small chapati, dosa and bf b/n meals shud be enuf.Good Luck.