Two different cultures, Rituals and Symbols

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Varloo, your post is very touching !

This is a very elementary attempt on my part to make people understand the reason behind rituals, without going into details. Since we are ignorant of the logic behind them we tend to " pooh pooh" them, saying it is all for the religious and superstitious ! Not at all. Whether we do them or follow them, let us understand why they were made mandatory in our culture at all.
    Awareness is the first step. Doing or leaving out is one's choice, for sure.
    Thanks for your nice words.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

2. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Orphanages in TamilNadu

Hello ILites,

I don't know if this is the right place to post my query, but since this is one of the most visited topics, I decided to post my question here.

Could somebody (Mrs. Chitvish/Varalotti) or anybody in the forum give me a list of orphanages (esp. those that are in dire need of funds) and their contact details? I am more looking at rural places other than Chennai like Trichy/Tanjore/Tirunelveli for me and some of my friends to make donations in the form of clothes and books.

Thanks
    Vidya

3. SuBa

SuBa Senior IL'ite

Dear Mrs.Chithra
    You have explained the meaning of rituals and symbols in a concise manner that is very easy to understand at a first glance.Iam sure i have to read it many times for it to get etched in my memory but am happy to have finally grasped the idea behind both of them especially the symbols as i have often wondered about why we worship God in so many forms.Am eager to learn all the knowledge that you can impart as i want to pass on the same to my future generation.Am becoming a better person in the process too.Please do continue with your noble work.

Love
    Suba.

4. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

orphanages & old age homes

Dear Mrs Chithra,

I am also interested in a list of these names if you have them. Preferably the smaller low key ones.

love
    Vidya

5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Lucky to have you..

..dear Chitra! Your explanations about culture, rituals and symbols were very absorbing. You are doing a wonderful service by bringing all these to us in such simple and concise postings.
    First of all, I consider myself fortunate to have access to your thoughts in this forum. You are presenting to us the wisdom of great teachers and writings on a silver platter, so to say. Many of us do not have access to their discourses or even if we do, do not have the time or the mental attitude to read the works and understand the essence of it. But presented like you have, all in a capsule, it is easy at once to grab their significance and meaning.
    Although I knew you have added a new post to this thread, I waited till this morning to read it. I wanted to read when I am totally fresh in my mind to absorb its contents in full. I am glad I did that.
    Looking forward to more such gems of wisdom
    I would also like to tell all my fellow ILites that I am enjoying all of your inputs and thoughts on this thread immensely and thanks to all of you for the same.

L, Kamla

6. Chitvish

Kamla, I cannot thank you enough !

I am glad to know that you enjoy these postings on culture. Since this is supposed to be a " dry" subject, I have my apprehensions every time I post, how it will be received. I am happy that you find them useful also. There is so much of misrepresentation about our culture being more superstition-oriented, that I just want to make a ( very feeble) attempt in putting things in the proper perspective, to the extent I am trying to grasp.
    I plan to post evry Thursday - Guru Varam, as a tribute to my spiritual Gurus !
    The next will be " Why do we go to temple? "
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

7. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

thanks for enlightening us................

Dear Chitra,
    I just went thru the culture, rituals & symbols post by you.
    Thank you so much for taking us the right path. I’m definitely getting addicted to this thread toooo. There’s so much to learn and with a wonderful Guru like you around, I’m sure I’ll make it.
    The para on rituals & symbols are so beautiful. We are an enlightened lot now. Your thread seems to answer to a lot of questions & it also answered a lot of forgotten questions of mine.
    Pls, pls, pls don’t think this is a dry subject. According to me, it’s the need of the hour. Instead of blindly following our rituals, you are trying to reason out, starting from scratch and I consider myself privileged to know you so closely.
    Pls continue your good work. Looking forward to the next post ASAP.
    Love & Regards,

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2006
  8. Chitvish

Your reply encourages me !

Dear Meena,
    Thankyou for the F B.
    Please refrain from referring me as guru. I am just blessed to attend " spiritual study" classes, a main advantage of living in Chennai ! Simplifying the " technical jargons", to make all of you read, is not an easy job & that is my present challenge !
    Please be with me in this thread.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

9. Anushiv

Anushiv Senior IL'ite

Dear Chitra Madam,

You being an elderly lady with a profound knowledge about Hinduism/spirituality...etc.
    I think u can clarify my doubts!

I want to ask u few questions...I don't know if someone had already asked this before ?

And is this a right forum to ask?

1. Can ladies shave their heads, I mean offering their hair to God?
    2. Can ladies recite Vedas?
    3. Can ladies chant gayathiri japam?
    4. why during periods ( menses)...ladies are considered as' untouchables'?:cry:

1 person likes this.
  10. Chitvish

Dear Anu,
    You have written in a thread, which I had almost forgotten, posting atleast an year back. You have raised queries, the answers for which are always likely to create a storm, varying with what every individual thinks. That is because customs & beliefs vary, out heritage being so wide.
    I agree, I am an elderly lady, but my knowledge is not profound as you think. I continue to be an elementary student & so I am likely to be not well-informed as well.
    Anyway here are my (strictly personal) thoughts:
    1 - many ladies even in T N do it as an offering now - previously it was more popular in Andhra. But ladies while their husbands are alive, are not expected to do it. My very close frioend did it recently - I dared not voice my opinion, the subject being, too personal.
    2 - All Sai devotees recite Veda. This is also recited by students of various enlightened masters. As you know now, I am a student of Swami Paramarthananda. I asked him about the same. He gave me this answer:
    when there are such auspicious shlokas like
    Lalitha S N, Saundaryalahari, Vishnu S N, Adithya Hrudayam etc, why not happily recite them !
    I took the indirect hint - again, this is strictly my personal inference. I do not forbid others who recite vedas from doing it & I am not competent to pass judgement on others who enjoy & do it.
    3 - This is also forbidden by my guru - I have given a Smartha Gayathri, which he specially gave us to recite. Please search for it in Shloka index in detail, if you are inclined.
    4 - Already a thread was started by JustAni, with a caption like Me, su duh,
    where this has been discussed very elaborately.
    Friends, I am voicing my personal opinions & do not wish to enter into controversy.
    Love,
    Chithra.

1 person likes this.