Tulsi worship

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by Skinny, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Skinny

Skinny Guest

Anyone know the significance of Tulsi worship?

2. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

As of i know, worshipping tulsi gives wealth and prosperity, continuous worship helps a girl to get a good husband also gives blessings to conceive a a baby.

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hello Friends !

I am planning to post a write-up on Tulsi, shortly. May be, if you want, I can post it this thursday in my culture posting.
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. meenakrishnan

meenakrishnan Bronze IL'ite

Traditions are meaningful

Dear Skinny,
    Tulasi is very dear to Maha Vishnu according to the Hindu Mythology. There are many stories.Worshipping Tulasi is auspicious. Also, scientifically watering Tulasi plant and doing Pradakshinam is extremely good for one's health.
    Tulasi is the only plant that releases ozone (O3) along with life-giving Oxygen(O2) during its early stages of photosynthesis.(Plants' mechanism of preparing their own food by absorbing CO2 and H2O releasing or producing starch and Oxygen)
    Thus an early morning pradakshinam around a tulasi plant(as is our tradition!) is a great boost to one's health.

meena

5. meenakrishnan

The story of Tulasi devi

Hi Skinny,
    Also the story of Tulasi Devi is too big, 19 CHAPTERS...you can visit the site, if interested:
    "The story of srimati tulasi devi"
    Meena

6. meenakrishnan

Dear Chitra,
    Waiting for your posting on'Tulasi':)
    Meena

7. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Something interesting

This is a real life encounter of one of our friend's family.

They are elderly couple with 3 sons of which the eldest and the youngest are living with their families and the middle son is with his parents helping his father in his travel business. But one fine day he said I wanted to do business alone also I want to move to another place out of the city.

But the mother and his wife were against this. As he was so stong in his ideas his wife went with him. When another friend heard they asked the mother and wife to do regular pujas to Tulasi and their prayers will be answered ASAP.

They too did the puja with full heart and the son lost heavily in his business and so with guilty heart met his parents and wanted to move in. The parents felt happy that their son returned but felt bad as he lost his business.

But still they invited the son and family to stay with them but in the upstairs. Their DIL also suggested that they give rent for the house and the son be given some salary to work in the business. And when things get settled then he can put in somemoney and become a partner in the family business.

This happened some 5 years back and till date both the DIL and MIL are doing Tulasi Puja regularly. Though the puja is a simple one that is to water Tulasi plant put manjal and kumkum, do pradakshinams and namaskaram, one thing is to be followed strictly that people with their periods should not go near it.

8. Skinny

Skinny Guest

Thank you

Thank you all for replying to my query. Since I am going through a period of uncertainity in my life right now maybe doing tulasi puja will at least keep me healthy..

9. padmaiyangar

padmaiyangar Bronze IL'ite

shri tulasi stotramaala

<CENTER><TABLE cellPadding=0 border=0 cell spacing="0"><TH width=120>[​IMG]</TH><HR>Contents: tulasi sloka || tulasi stuti || tulasi kalyaanaM <HR>
    sloka
    The following slOka is to be recited while watering tulasi plant(if you have) and then offer haldi kumkum and flowers:
    shriyaH priyE shriyaavaasE nityaM shriidharavallabhE|
    bhaktyaadattaM mayaarghyaM hi tulasi pratigR^ihyataaM||

Bow to tulasi after reciting the following slOka:

yanmuulE sarvatiirthaani yanmadhyE sarvadEvataaH yadagrE sarvavEdaashcha tulasitvaaM nammamyaham||
    tulasi shriisakhi shubhE paapahaariNi puNyadE |
    namstE naaradanute naaraayaNamanaH priyE||

Shritulasistuti(by Shri jagannaatha daasaru)
    <CENTER>

bR^indaavani janani vandisuve satata ja-
    landharana raaNi kalyaaNi | kalyaaNi tuLasinija-
    mandire enage dayavaage || 1 ||

jalajaakshanamalakajjalabindu piiyuSha-
    kalashadali biiLe janisidi | janisi hariyinda shrii-
    tulasi niinendu karesidi || 2 ||

shriitaruNivallabhana priitiviSheyaLe ninna
    naa tulasi kaiya mugivenu | mugive ennaya mahaa-
    paatakava kaLedu poreyamma || 3 ||

tulasi ninnaDige naa talebaagi binnaipe
    kalushakarmagaLa eNisade | eNisade saMsaara-
    jaladhiyindemma kaDehaaysu || 4 ||

nODidava durita iiDyaaDidava ninna koN-
    DaaDidava ninna haripaada | haripaadakamalagaLa
    kuuDidava satya yendendu || 5 ||

nindisuvarella nindyaraaguvaru abhi-
    vandisida janaru surarinda | surarinda nararinda
    vandyaraaguvaru jagadoLu || 6 ||

kaluShavarjite ninna daLagaLindali laxmi-
    nilayana~NghrigaLa puujipa | puujiparige paramama~N-
    galada padavittu salahuvi || 7 ||

shriituLasiidEvi manmaata laalisu jaga-
    nnaathaviThThalana charaNaabja | charaNaabja enna hR^itpadmadali
    nii tOre kR^ipeyiNda || 8 ||

</CENTER><CENTER>tulasi kalyaaNaM(by Shri purandara daasaru)

<ALIGN=LEFT>Raaga: sauraashhTra
    aaditaaLa
    kalyaaNaM tulasi kalyaaNaM
    ||palla|| kalyaaNavE namma kR^iShNa shriitulasige | ballida shriivaasudEvanige||a.pa||

a~NgaLadoLagella tulasiya vanamaaDi | shR^i~Ngaarava maaDi shiighradinda || ka~NgaLa paapava pariharisuva | muddura~Nga bandalli taa nelesidanu || 1 ||

mindu madiyanuTTu sandEhava biTTu | tanda shrigandhaakShategaLinda || sindhushayanana vR^indaavanadi puujise | kundada bhaagyava koDutihaLu || 2 ||

bhakShya bhOjya~NgaLa naiveedyavanittu | lakSha battiya diipava hachchi || adhOkshaja sahita vR^indavana puujise | saakShaat.h mOkShava koDutihaLu || 3 ||

utthaana dvaadashi divasadindali kR^iShNa | uttama tulasige vivaahava || chittanirmalaraagi maaDidavarige | uttama gati iiva purandara vithala || 4 ||

</CENTER></CENTER>

Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  10. aarta

aarta Silver IL'ite

Hey,
    Bundle of thanks for the useful information.Even i have heard the same ,regarding worshiping tulasi(shyama tulasi ) at dusk helps girl to marry a good husband.:thumbsup

Take care
    Aarta:)