TTC: male infertility & low amh

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by shwetadem, Aug 28, 2013.

1. shwetadem

shwetadem New IL'ite

Dear all

We are married since 8 years but we started trying for kids only 2-3 years back. guess it got a little late. we have a male fertility issue (low sperm count). doc advised ICSI with short protocol. had for 5 embryos and put in 2 7-cell ones but we had a failed cycle. later we tried to used the 3 frozen ones but they didnt survive the thawing. after all the emotional and physical stress we decided to try naturally. now its been 1.5years and we havn't had success. i'm 38 and the clock is ticking and the societal pressure and our trying is leaving us stressed. we decided to go for another cycle. this time my AMH has gone low 1.3!

we went to dr.jatin shah who told us that we should use a donor egg. we are not prepared to do this. so he said we can try one ICSI cycle with long protocol and higher dosage but the chances would be 10% and we should start rightaway. We went to my old doc again to see what he says and he tells us exact opposite. he says we have a male issue so we should take a male donor. but we said we would like to try one of our own. so he said to get a sperm defragmentation test done. also he said i should start a DHEA and wait for 3 months before I do an ICSI cycle. also he would do the short protocol as the long one would be no use for me as ovary suppression wouln't do me good.

i am so confused and stressed after getting such opposite feedbacks and am absolutely uncertain what to do and which doc to go to. can anyone help from their experiences?

also in the meantime i got my amh test again and within a month the value has come become 0.85! from the research on the internet the amh values do not change month on month then i dont know how mine did!! please help folks.

2. jaden

jaden Gold IL'ite

Hi Shweta,

Frankly speaking your AMH levels arent that low.Anything above one is good enuf.Frankly speaking for your age its even better.I am 31 and have amh level as 1.10 .
    I do feel that the second docters seems much better with his expertise.Putting you on dhea seems like a good plan,as this mite help increase the no of eggs as well as improve the quality of the eggs.
    I was on dhea for almost 3 months and have just started the IVF cycle.As of the side effects i am just a bit more hairier..which is totally ok if that get that BFP
    :)
    Also these levels cannot be reliable.Even my amh increased in the second test which i took almost after 6 months it came to 2.15..lol how can amh level increase????Any ways amh level in conjuction with antral follicule count is a better predictor of your reserve levels.

3. shwetadem

shwetadem New IL'ite

thanks for the reply jaden! i was hoping to get more replies in this forum by other ladies with similar experiences....

im not sure how doc's decide if it has to be long or short protocol.
    Anyone done long protocol? are the after effects of the injunctions painful? the clinic im considering is 1.5hrs by road from where i stay im not sure after a week of injuctions if i can use public transport to commute.

please share experiences..

4. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Check out the IVF threads. You will get more information on IVF from those threads.
    All the best.

5. Myxu

Myxu Junior IL'ite

Hello Shweta,

I 'am exactly in the same situation as you are! infact more worse, my AMH jus got detected to .02 and DH has low motility, :drowning m thirty :bowdown and yes trying from last few months, its a sad newz fr me and m trying to get details right now, you may follow my thread incase any update comes on it "TTC from Long, low AMH", hoping for the best

6. shwetadem

shwetadem New IL'ite

update: im giving another try. yes i have started long protocol for icsi. doc says 10% chance. but im taking it using my own eggs. i know it means 90% i wont succeed but im really worried of the day i know that. what next after that i dont know. anyone considered adoption or went thru the precess? im not keen for egg donation. may as well adopt as what i feel as of now. pls post of thoughts and experiences.

1 person likes this.
  7. Vasumathy

All the best Shweta. :thumbsup Hope this cycle will bring you better results. Try to keep your mind positive & relax. Eat healthier food. Hope the 10% chance will shadow the rest! Be positive & stay strong. All the best!

8. shwetadem

shwetadem New IL'ite

thanks vasumathy.

today was my day 8 of stimms and i had a scan done. i have 4 folicles between 10-14 on right side and my left ovary has not responded at all. im really worried. would the doc cancel the cycle? any one has any clue?

9. Vasumathy

Hi Shweta,
    Follicle count of 4 seems to be ok, but not a great one. Hope those 4 follicles will grow further without hesitation. Just one healthy follicle which would give just one healthy embryo will do the job for us. Relax, stop worrying. Don't let the hormones ruin the rest of the job for you.
    What was your doctors response after the scan? I don't think they will cancel the cycle if these 4 grow further. Whether you were given with any tablets or medications to handle the AMH levels? Eat healthy, take care of yourself!

Baby dust to all TTC ladies...

10. shwetadem

shwetadem New IL'ite

Update:
    i had got 6 embies of which 3 were grade A and all 3 were put in. i got a BFP.was very happy. 1st scan showed possibility of twins and my hcg of 1081. 2nd scan showed only 1 scan but no hearbeat. at 7.4 weeks doc said its a miscarriage as there is no growth after 5 weeks. :( got a D&C done 3 days ago. back to square one :(