1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

True story from "somebody"..

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sravanthi28, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Sravanthi28

Sravanthi28 Silver IL'ite

True story from "somebody".. ... here it goes....

My wife called, 'How long will you be poring over that newspaper?
    Will you come here and make your darling daughter eat her food?'
    I tossed the paper away and rushed to the scene.
    My only daughter Sindu looked frightened.
    Tears were welling up in her eyes. In front of her was a bowl filled to its brim with Curd Rice.
    Sindu is a nice child, quite intelligent for her age. She has just turned eight.
    She particularly detested Curd Rice. My mother and my wife are orthodox, and believe firmly in the 'coolingeffects' of Curd Rice! I cleared my throat, and picked up the bowl. 'Sindu, darling, why don't you take a few mouthful of this Curd Rice?Just for Dad's sake, dear. And, if you don't, your Mom will shout at me'I could sense my wife's scowl behind my back.
    Sindu softened a bit, and wiped her tears with the back of her hands.
    'OK, Dad. I will eat - not just a few mouthfuls, but the whole lotof this. But, you should...' Sindu hesitated.
    'Dad, if I eat this entire curd Rice, will you give me whatever I ask for?'

'Oh sure, darling'.

'Promise?'

'Promise'.

I covered the pink soft hand extended by my daughter with mine, and clinched the deal. 'Ask Mom also to give a similar promise', my daughter insisted. My wife slapped her hand on Sindu's, muttering 'Promise', without any emotion.

Now I became a bit anxious. 'Sindu dear, you shouldn't insist on getting a computer or any such expensive items. Dad does not have that kind of money right now. OK?'

'No, Dad. I do not want anything expensive'. Slowly and painfully, she finished eating the whole quantity. I was silently angry with my wife and my mother for forcing my child eat
    something that she detested. After the ordeal was through, Sindu came to me with her eyes wide with expectation. All our attention was on her.

'Dad, I want to have my head shaved off, this Sunday!' was her demand.

'Atrocious!' shouted my wife, 'A girl child having her head shaved off? Impossible!'

'Never in our family!' my mother rasped.
    'She has been watching too much of television. Our culture is getting totally spoiled with these TV programs!'

'Sindu darling, why don't you ask for something else? We will be sad seeing you with a clean-shaven head.'

'No, Dad. I do not want anything else', Sindu said with finality.

'Please, Sindu, why don't you try to understand our feelings?' I tried to plead with her.

'Dad, you saw how difficult it was for me to eat that Curd Rice'. Sindu was in tears.

'And you promised to grant me whatever I ask for. Now, you are going back on your words. Was it not you who told me the story of King Harishchandra, and its moral that we should honor our promises no matter what?'

It was time for me to call the shots. 'Our promise must be kept.'

'Are you out your mind?' chorused my mother and wife.

'No. If we go back on our promises, she will never learn to honor her own. Sindu, your wish will be fulfilled.' with her head clean-shaven, Sindu had a round-face, and her eyes looked
    big and beautiful.

On Monday morning, I dropped her at her school.
    It was a sight to watch my hairless Sindu walking towards her classroom.
    She turned around and waved.

I waved back with a smile.
    Just then, a boy alighted from a car, and shouted, 'Sinduja, please wait for me!'
    What struck me was the hairless head of that boy.
    'May be, that is the in-stuff', I thought.

'Sir, your daughter Sinduja is great indeed!'
    Without introducing herself, a lady got out of the car, and continued,'
    That boy who is walking along with your daughter is my son Harish. he is suffering from... ... leukemia.' She paused to muffle her sobs.

'Harish could not attend the school for the whole of the last month. He lost all his hair due to the side effects of the chemotherapy. He refused to come back to school fearing the unintentional but cruel teasing of the schoolmates. '
    Sinduja visited him last week, and promised him that she will take care of the teasing issue.But, I never imagined she would sacrifice her lovely hair for the sake of my son!
    Sir, you and your wife are blessed to have such a noble soul as your daughter.'

I stood transfixed. And then, I wept.
    'My little Angel, you are teaching me how self-less real love is!'

*The happiest people on this planet are not those who live on their own terms but are those who change their terms for the ones whom they love..*

Be DEAF when people tell YOU that YOU can not fulfill YOUR dreams!
    Always think: I can do this!

sindmani likes this.

2. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Dear Sravanthi,
    That was an excellent post, thanks for sharing. No many people will do what this lil girl has done, wihtout letting her parents know the real reason behind this startling request. May her tribe increase. It only reinforces our faith in 'Do what you believe in'.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi,

It was a very moving one. May people like sindhu increase in number so that our belief in humanity and mankind be reinforced time to time.

sindmani likes this.
  4. sandhya19

sandhya19 New IL'ite

hi,
    very beautiful post,believe me,my eyes were filled with tears,very touching one,
    the girls concern for her friend,she was ready to give her hair and even managed to get her parents accept her wish without revealing true cause.such selfishlessness is hard to find these days

5. pavithrasriram

pavithrasriram Bronze IL'ite

dear sravanthi,
    indeed a great post!!!!thanks for poating it.
    regards
    pavithra

6. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

thanks for this true touching story. Hats off to Sindhu and her self-less love!Sriniketan

7. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Very touching! As I read this post, I remember my friend's daughter who is no more :cry: now, got leukemia when she was 4 years. She used to tell her mom that her classmates make fun of her shaved head (unknowingly). Later the parents of those classmates came to know about this and made the kids give her a 'sorry' note. My friend really appreciated those parents for the sorry note which made my friend's daughter very happy.

8. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Hi

That was a great one.......

Why should the articles on true stories makes the heart heavy and eyes watery...

Great.......

Veda

9. sellakili

sellakili Senior IL'ite

The story is too touching! Its hard to find such a great souls.... This remembers me about another such great heart! The girl in the picture would didnt have imagined her lover will be like this in her engagement... The groom has become like this because of the iraq war... The bride showed her true love....hats off...

[​IMG]
    Regards
    Chella

10. sindu

sindu New IL'ite

wonderful girl my eyes got filled when i read it, may god bless her
    sindu