Trinetram/visit to Thenupureeswarar temple

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by gowthamanappu, Feb 7, 2009.

1. gowthamanappu

gowthamanappu Bronze IL'ite

Today, I would like to give info. about the great PATTEESWARM DURGAI. I have gone several times and wish all IL to know and get the bleesing of HER.

best wishes/reply if u want more info/chitra.g

Thenupureeswarar Temple
    This is a famous Shiva shrine that has the privilege of getting a mention in Thirugnanasambandhar's songs. This temple is also famous for "Shantha Swaroopi" Vishnu Durga. This was built by the Chola Kings.
    Unlike in other temples, the Durga here is very soft in look and grace (Shanta Swarupi). Sitting on her vehicle Lion, placing the feet on the head of Demon Mahishasura, the Gooddess appears in a Tribanga stature, eight hands, three eyes and jewels in the ears. Generally, the Lion carrying Kali would be looking on the right side. But the Shanta Swarupi Durga’s Lion here faces the left side. In her hands, the mother holds, conch, wheel, bow, arrow, sword, shield and a parrot.
    Visiting the Shiva Temples in the state, once saint Gnanasambandar came to Thirumazhapadi – Patteeswaram. It was summer. The Sun was at his peak. To protect Gnanasambandar from the scorching Sun, Lord Shiva sent a Pearl Umbrella (Muthupandal) through his Bhudaganas. The Lord wanted to enjoy the childish walking movement of child saint ordered Nandi to move from his place. Gnanasambandar’s joy knew no bounds and sung a pathigam (10 songs) beginning with the word Marai. The incidence is remembered each year during the Tamil Ani Month June-July) with all festive celebrations.
    § The name Patteeswaram was derived from the daughter of the Divine Cow Kamadenu PATTI WHO worshipped the lord here.
    § The Lord asked his vehicle Nandi to move a little so he could enjoy seeing the Child Gnanasambandar coming to have his Darshan.
    § Sri Rama was relieved of Sayagathi dosha for killing Vaali.
    § Goddess herself performed penance here.
    § It was in Patteeswaram; Rishi Viswamitra was admitted in the company of Brahma rishis with the backing of Gayatri Mahamantra.
    § Markandeya worshipped here.
    § All the Navagrahas here face the Sun. And they are positioned as per the "Aagama" tradition.

Durga stands imposingly with eight hands – ashta bhujam - on the head of the demon Mahishasuran. She poses effulgently on ‘Simhavahana’ and has three eyes which is an added attraction. Chanku, chakaram, bow, arrow, knife, parrot, abhayakaram, and kedayam adorn her eight hands.
    Draped in traditional madisar saree with lemon and arali garlands, she is ‘shanta swaroopini’. During Rahu Kalam, devotees flock to the temple to have her darshan, as she is believed to nullify the malefic effects of Rahu. The temple is bursting at its seams during Rahu Kalam on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays, Amavasay, Pournami, Ashtami and Navami. The temple is renowned for its architectural splendour and is a connoisseur’s delight

LISTEN TO THE AUDIO: download and listen http://podbazaar.castmetrix.net/dow...ArulmiguDurgambigaiThirukkovilPatteswaram.mp3

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  2. perumj1

perumj1 New IL'ite

Hello,

Even i do accept that thenupureeswarar temple is a very good and peaceful place to pray, but i do have a worst experience with the poojari's . Once i was made to wait for more than 4 hours for dedicating saree to thenugambal but later he said that today is not an auspicious day to put but i was told by them day back that the next day would be auspicious for amma . Later on they said it was not possible to do and they started using harsh language on me. It was really a great insult and inforgetable incident in my life. Again i would say the temple is wonderful but the people inside are corrupting the environment. Please dont think that i am cooking up some stories, its a real incident which happened to me.....