1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Traveling to India - share lists, tips & suggestions

Discussion in 'Infants' started by vmur, Nov 29, 2006.

1. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

Re: Traveling to India with 8 month old

Hi Khushi, I am not from Bombay and currently I live in UK. I gave birth in UK and travelled to India with my baby when she was 4.5 months and came back when she was 9 months. My mom was with me when I went to India and I came back all by myself.

I dont understand this first of all. My baby had a fantastic time in India and she was really a happy girl there enjoying all the pampering from family and frieds. There are so many ILites here who are from India and I dont think their babies are suffering.

Maybe I misunderstood you?

Not a very good idea. But in my case luckily I had a smooth trip. I had booked a night flight and my daughter slept like an angel except for 2 hours which was then difficult. At the transit airports she woke up and played. I even let her crawl all around the airport :)

I got a bassinet when I travelled with my 9 month old. You have to request it while booking at which time they will tell you nothing is guaranteed until you check in. So you have to remind again during the check in about bassinet.

I flew with Air India, my worst experience. I heard Emirates do good.

By the way, I didnt use the bassinet they provided in Air India as it was very shallow, I was afraid of my baby rolling out of it. So I kept her on my shoulders when she was sleeping.

I didnt carry anything from UK. Initial days, I mixed her kurukku (raagi etc) with BM. Later on, carried on as normal. mashed rice and vegetables were her main food.

My LO was on solids when I travelled back. But since it was night I didnt give her any solids. I exclusively breastfed her throughout the flight. Luckily there was only guy sitting next to me, thankfully he moved away from me. So I was lucky again. I occassionally gave her a biscuit or so. They do provide some baby food in the flight. I did not use it. I had carried some food in case she needed. I carried cerelac in a container.
    is water there safe if we boil it , like to use for foods or plain drinking ?

Infants have to be secured along with you for take off and landing. The stewards will show you how to do this if you dont know. I was told off by the AI staff for feeding while we were taxiing even. Apparently you are not supposed to be breastfeeding while taking off and landing. This was exactly opposite to the advices I got before travelling.

Take care that you close her ears. No need to use earplugs. Just hold him tight close to your chest so that one year is closed enough and then close the other ear wiht your fingers.

Is it in flight or otherwise? there is a whole section in IL about baby food from 6 months on. Many moms from India post excellent guidance and recipes there.

Airlines will provide pillows for you, dont worry.
    Mine liked the warm sweaty Kerala weather :--) I was there during the hottest and wettest months, from March till July. I didnt think it was hard on her at all.

Ask your doctor about that. I had compled all her vaccinations before leaving.

I hope someone might help you with this question.

2. khushipoise

khushipoise Senior IL'ite

Re: Traveling to India with 8 month old

Hi
    Thanks so much for your response rekhaviju ...:)

(rekhaviju -I dont understand this first of all. My baby had a fantastic time in India and she was really a happy girl there enjoying all the pampering from family and frieds. There are so many ILites here who are from India and I dont think their babies are suffering.)

What I meant was that for kids that are born abroad , the trip to India is difficult ...as I read and hear from so many ladies
    I'm sure all kids back in our homeland are v happy ..after all we were al born and bought up there ..
    Pls share more experiences and advice ladies ESP those who travelled with infants
    Thanks again

3. rosenav

rosenav Silver IL'ite

thanks for sharing all the info ladies :)

I'm traveling next mnt ...Ds is going to be 6mnts , he is going to get him 6mnts vac in the first week of nov n my pead sd they will give him flu shot before we fly which is on 20th nov .... I wanted to knw has any baby gt fever or any side effect after flu shot... I'll be travelling the next day so just scared if he get fever n cranky.