Travel To India From Us - Flights Status

Discussion in 'Travel' started by sanjuruby3, Apr 7, 2022.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

We are planning to visit india this summer. I know all the flights are open but i see tickets are very expensive at the moment. Also i heard the flights are getting delayed because of war which may end ( hopefully....), by the time we go.
    Normally we travel through europe ( germany) which is so close to war zone. This time because of prices through Europe, we are thinking through Emirates etc. We have no direct flights. Europe was relatively convenient for us, as we had 2 about equal time legs so we get some rest.
    But through middle east is one stretched out double trip leg then short. Kids get restless in 15-16 hours flight. My 3 yr has not come out much since covid and now he is really active when he goes out and i literally run after him to catch him like a puppy, So i am worried about his stay in flights.
    Did any one travel recently and any experience?

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

My coworker just returned from a trip to Kolkata. They flew Qatar airways. The tickets were more expensive than usual and she said the flights were fully packed, but the process itself is straightforward as long as you follow all the airline rules correctly.
    It is not clear if the war will cause any disturbance in travel later this year. Prices can rise if fuel costs go up. My coworker said there was a very liberal policy to change or postpone tickets without penalty when they booked in February.
    14 hours is a long stretch with kids especially in economy but people do it. Last time I traveled one kid wailed for the entire flight due to ear pain so ask your doctor about that. Take a variety of entertainment options along.

3. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

I have travelled to India two times recently ( Air India and Qatar). I didn't face any issues. Yeah. tickets were on the expensive side. We have to wear mask, fill air suvidha form , rt- pcr ( or similar test with 1-day of first flight) to enter usa ( not sure if they changed it) and have to carry all vaccination records with us.

Its not easy to travel with kids. Consider it as a tough day. Buy seats for them and carry things/ tablet / entertainment/books that can divert him/ her. Most of the time they will be glued to the screen. You will be fine.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
  4. sanjuruby3

above flights you mentioned are direct or through middle east. Flights through europe are the ones that might be delayed/cancelled.

5. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Qatar through middle east ( Doha ) and air India to Delhi. I have avoided flights through Europe.

6. sanjuruby3

exactly. We are thinking same... to go direct to Delhi. We will have to travelling to city where direct AI or other airlines flights.
    I have worst stranded experience in covid so now, if for any reasons it happens again, even for few hours or few days ..it better be in US than some Europe or other country.

7. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I visited India in February of this year. As @DDream said, it's pretty straightforward. RT-PCR test both ways (within 72h to board from the USA and 24h from India). Make sure to print your AirSuvidha form.

United flies direct from San Francisco and Newark to Delhi and Air India flies direct to Delhi from Chicago, New York, San Francisco, and Wahington DC if either one works for you.

Flights are expensive and probably going to stay this way because of gas prices.

We fly direct to Delhi so I don't have personal experience of connections. My nephew is going to India next month via the Netherlands. Several of my colleagues have flown from Germany (one in March, another one is coming from Germany in May), doesn't look like there were delays due to the war. You might just be fine. Most airlines have one-time free cancellation and rebooking due to covid.

India flights are long with the kids but it will be this way whenever you go. Get them some good headphones and let them watch TV.

8. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Have you considered Benadryl for kids ? It is usually administered for allergy. But it can make kids sleep too. I always carried to use as last resort.
    I personally feel it is better to have backup option considering you are traveling after pandemic .

9. sanjuruby3

Yeah, I know many parents give as aid to sleep for travel. For my older one, i did not need. With 2nd one, it will be first time since he was baby. So will see but yes i always take it along as for emergencies.