Translation Please

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by ChennaiExpress, Jan 18, 2015.

1. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

OK, I get it. I've read the Capra book back in my middle / high-school years!

2. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Wow, that's awesum ....... it flows with so many ideas, I'm just trying to pace myself .....

3. sokanasanah

Fritjof Capra's a fun read, but try and keep the mysticism separate from the hard science.
    Here is the latest version of this debate!
    Happy reading!

1 person likes this.
  4. ChennaiExpress

I totally agree that there must be a way to prove and express these mystical insights. Hence we have lot of fake babas in India that claim this thing or another and people fall for it .......

I believe the many physicists, can use ancient knowledge to shape their research, and express it in the clearest way possible ...... It's already been done by Einstein and Bohr and perhaps others ...

5. achu1

achu1 Silver IL'ite

Isnt it amazing to know that our old time writers meditate and come up with Bhagavatgita, Mahabharatha,,,,and seeing things (like atoms) which we need microscope,,,,and explaining everything ont he basis of time? Those are precious gurus.

1 person likes this.
  6. ChennaiExpress

I totally agree!!!!!!!

7. sokanasanah

It is important to distinguish between mystical insights and scientific insights, even when they may sound similar - both are valuable, but in different ways. One useful idea is to think about them in terms of 'expressive equivalence' and 'procedural equivalence'*.

Roman numerals and arabic numerals are expressively equivalent. You can represent a number in both systems. However, try multiplying MDCLXXIV with LXXIX. Not easy right? In this case, a mathematical 'operation' is facilitated by the arabic notation. In a similar fashion, a mystical insight may appear to say the same thing as a scientific insight. We can discuss them as if they are expressively equivalent, even if they are really not (as Fritjof Capra does) and perhaps even profit from that discussion. However a mystical insight is not procedurally equivalent to a scientific theory. It is difficult to reliably manipulate mystical ideas to yield new truths. This is true even for rigorous, though purely philosophical or even mathematical ideas. That was the import of the article I linked earlier.

As that article shows, the demarcation between science and non-science is a difficult and ongoing investigation in the philosophy of science. One of the more useful ideas that scientists like is the notion of 'falsifiability'. This means that any time we come up with a theory, we are obligated to come with an approach that would say 'if you can show x and y, I will abandon this theory'. That is, we seek not to prove our theory, but to disprove it!

The classic example is that of the black swan. If we posit a theory that 'all swans are white', then the moment we see our first black swan, the theory is disproved, no matter how many millions of white swan we may have seen in the meantime. So falsifiability is an important criterion, more powerful than proof. As might be expected, there are many other ideas on the demarcation problem as well.

Of course when you bring a report of the first black swan, the theorist will argue that it was not a swan at all, but some other bird. Then you have to go capture one and bring it back to the lab to compare and so on and so on - now we have science!

You can learn from the mystics without equating their insights with science.

Be mindful when you read!

Sorry for the lecture. :hide:

*Adapted (with abandon) from: Paul Thagard - 'Computational Philosophy of Science' (MIT Press, 1988)

8. ChennaiExpress

Nice example of the swan

9. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

2 people like this.
  10. sokanasanah

(a) Is this the same chap who was in politics or are there other Swamys floating about?
    (b) Is the web-post real? Is he really a flake? Or is this some sort of a parody?