1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Train A Kid To Be Strong

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by sanjuruby3, Dec 4, 2021.

1. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

I don’t know whether that changes or the kid gets used that way of living! I will definitely let her get out of the way she feels. Make her understand that the way she feels is completely ok and that’s how u will feel. And you have get over it and move on. Let her know education is the best tool to hold on to for her whole life. Education will give her all the support and confidence even if your parents are not with her.

2. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

how busy is your schedule . is your child going in any other activities. if not try to put in something like vocal music class or anything that makes her display her skills. instead of focusing on this bully child, focus on making more diferent friends for her. martial arts and sports are very good too.

school bullying is not acceptable, ganging up. if this happens again take it with the teacher. child is a child. when a group of kids join she will feel weak. you have to go and back her up.

my son was bullied in new place. my DH does not like that , he told him to be assertive and will support if there is a fight too. he used to watch him for sometime in his walk and slowly that helped my son make new friends. dh put him in martial arts, some kids from the apartment also go. when they saw my son progressing in belts, things change.

as parent you have to back your kid to fight back. just accepting hey i like my shoes is good but you must also tell her to stop accepting such comments and say loud.

sorry if i sound rough, but you are her support. if this kid is bully and her mom does not correct her, ask her to be assertive and support her. if it does not improve end that friendship . make new friends or take her to different activity places .

3. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Well, my life is super hectic with my younger one always crying and sick.
    We did not put her in anything extra for extra work of loading/unloading/shuttling. When 2nd one was born, i had put her in dance (pre covid) and i was doing job of pick/drop with least interest from H. Now, H wants to put her in classes, i do not bother much because of increasing burden on me and fear of covid mainly.
    Now again with cases rising in our area, i am scared.
    She was in online drawing classes.

4. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

I am very sorry to hear. it is hard without both the support. hope it becomes easy once the younger one grows up.

5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Your threads show how much you care about your kids, try to identify the right thing to do, and then put your all into doing that.

Bullying or bossy friends, classmates are going to be part of life like you say. You cannot make her unaffected by these experiences. What you can do is help her learn how to bounce back faster. That's all we can do as parents. Use each event as a learning moment. As she deals with X and Y, along with some support and inputs from you, she is learning. By the time she is 9 or 10, she will have her own set of ways of dealing with these situations.

Try not to see your childhood insecurities in her. And always remember, such things are way harder on the mom than they are on the child.

Pick your battles. Given the challenges you have as a parent, do one thing: don't talk at all about food and eating with your daughter when others are around.

Induslady and MalStrom like this.
  6. Nanali

Nanali Senior IL'ite

Being patient and understanding is very very important.