1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Touching MIL's feet everyday

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by cheenu123, Nov 1, 2013.

1. cheenu123

cheenu123 Gold IL'ite

I have a dilemma. Since last 8 months, ever since I got married, the first thing I do after waking up is touch my Mil’s feet. Of late, I have noticed that me and DH are beginning to have problems due to my MIL’s very interfering nature, sometimes even resulting in serious tiffs between me and DH. My interaction has also gone down with her since she communicates with me via her son. In such a scenario, I don’t feel like touching her feet every single day, and want to make it an occasional thing only, because the respect doesn’t come out from me. Also, she is the kind of woman who will confront me openly in front of my DH for not touching her feet.
    Please guide me.

PS: MIL stays with us.

2. heron

heron Platinum IL'ite

Does your DH do it?....who was the victim before marriage?

say "ooh today also your feet look soo old"everyday after touching from now on...and wait for the results

3. meja

meja Gold IL'ite

Are you the one who started the practice of touching her feet daily? Because if like that it will be difficult to reduce or remove the habit as your MIL might feel bad. Well in some case it won't do any harm touching the feet daily.
    My MIL is also with us from the beginning as we have a joint family. But your case of touching feet daily is a bit overdoing in my opinion.
    To me it's totally on occasion basis only like religious festivals and birthdays.

4. cheenu123

cheenu123 Gold IL'ite

Yes, i started the practice I admit. And now I admit it was a mistake which I want to rectify. Our relationship was good and has gone sour now. I do not wish to make her superior by continuing the ritual.

5. anahita5

anahita5 Gold IL'ite

You started this practice? I like heron's advice. I don't touch my PIL's feet even when i meet them after 2yrs. I am GHAR KI LAKSHMI, i don't bow to any human. :)

SCA, Dishaa, janbornchild and 20 others like this.
  6. Chachi420

Chachi420 Platinum IL'ite

tricky situation ... this might sound silly at the beginning but ... how about faking back pain every time you bend down for other stuff (like picking up stuff in the kitchen etc) and then few days latter bring it up with DH that you might want to take a break from this daily routine to see if it helps with you back ache. Interrupting without hurting MIL's sentiments is the key here and communicating it through DH is your best bet. My :my2cents Once you take a break, switch to only festivals or while going out on vacations. Needless to mention, you will feel a lot bettah once you stop the practice and you will share with DH how much this small change helped :thumbsup

11 people like this.
  7. cheenu123

cheenu123 Gold IL'ite

thanks anhita and chachi. yes tricky it is but want to come out of it, but, iam very bad at faking, very bad.

8. pinky6

pinky6 Platinum IL'ite

Just bend slightly and touch the floor instead of touching her feet..........

9. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Yesssss, chaachi420!! I vote for your plan. Backache!!!!

SCA and Chachi420 like this.
  10. Endlesshope

Endlesshope Platinum IL'ite

Maybe the next time you bend down to touch her feet pull her down by her feet and voila !!!! Never again will you be asked to touch any body's feet

4 people like this.