Total Lunar eclipse on Feb. 20th. 2008

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Amicable, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Hi friends...

Coming Feb. 20: Total Eclipse of the Moon - Yahoo! News

Mark Wednesday, Feb. 20, on your calendar as "Lunar Eclipse Night," for if the weather is fair you should have no difficulty observing a total eclipse of the moon.
    The eclipse will be visible wherever the moon is above the horizon during the time frame that the eclipse is taking place. As it turns out, North and South America will turned toward the moon and will be in excellent position for this sky show.

Europe, Africa and a part of western Asia will also be able to see the eclipse, although for these regions the event will take place in hours just before sunrise on the morning of Feb. 21.

All told, given clear skies, about three billion potential eclipse viewers will be able to partake in the spectacle of the full moon becoming completely immersed in the Earth's shadow.

This will be the third total lunar eclipse within the past year. The previous two favored different parts of North America, but this one will be readily visible from start-to-finish across much of the continent, weather permitting.

The total phase will last 51-minutes and begins at 10:01 p.m. EST (7:01 p.m. PST).

Because some of the sunlight striking the Earth is diffused and scattered by our atmosphere, the Earth's shadow is not completely dark. Typically there are coppery red and orange hues cast over the moon at and near totality from sunlight refracted from our atmosphere around the edge of the Earth, giving the moon the appearance of an eerie glowing ball.

As a bonus, during the eclipse the moon will be situated, in our sky, near the planet Saturn and the bright bluish star Regulus in the constellation of Leo. The effect will be to create a uniquely beautiful triangle in the sky consisting of the totally eclipsed moon, a bright naked-eye planet and one of the 21 brightest stars in the sky.

Editor's Note: SPACE.com will provide a complete eclipse viewer's guide Feb. 15.

2. Vnbaby

Vnbaby Senior IL'ite

Hi Amicable!!

Thanks for the information. Do you also have some information like if it is going to effect pregnancies or not?

3. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Hi Vnbaby...

You are welcome, and No, I don't have any information how it effects on pregnant women either. But I was checking few previous posts regarding that, there are few things have been discussed. Check those one, may be you will get your answer.

4. cathy

cathy Senior IL'ite

Lunar eclipse today!!

Dear friends,

Lunar eclipse 2008 takes place today.So all pregnant ladies please be careful.Avoid going out during that time.Try to stay inside home.

Lunar Eclipse To Occur February 20, 2008

Solar & Lunar Eclipses-page

Evenif the above links are not informative,Please google around and find the informations.

-Cathy

5. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Re: Lunar eclipse today!!

Thank you sooo much for the information....

6. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for this information, Cathy!
    I was wondering whether it is today or tomorrow!

sriniketan

7. Vnbaby

Vnbaby Senior IL'ite

Hi Cathy!!

Thanks for this information. I have checked nasa's site and it is going to effect my region also.

I am around 6 weeks pregnant and my elders like In-laws believe that a pregnant woman should not go out during eclipses and she should stay at home with curtains on, should not cut anything like vegetables or fruits or anything else, should pray to GOD and meditate, and take rest as much as she can otherwise it can cause some birth defects to baby.

I do not know whether this is true or not but if it is related to my baby then I just dont want to take the risk. So ILs, whats your opinion??

Take Care
    V n Baby

8. cathy

cathy Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    Thanks for your info !!

I just had a talk with my mom and she told we are not supposed to eat anything( if hungry just have some liquids).Even if you want to eat after eclipse you have to take head bath and then have something.

Even i dont know how far it is true.but since its concerned about the baby no risks taken!!

-Cathy

9. reddy2207

reddy2207 New IL'ite

Thank you very much for your info.

10. aparnabavanari

aparnabavanari New IL'ite

Hi,

Can anyone tell me during what time the Lunar Eclipse occurs on August,16-2008 in the Bay Area(PST) and leaves. I am a pregnant now and i need to know the details.
    My Mom said that they are having Lunar eclcipse on 16th August in India. I am Confused whether it is in the San Jose,California or not. But i don't want to take the risk so i need the timings of the Lunar Eclipse on Aug 16,2008.