Too much itching during pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by laksn, Jan 18, 2007.

1. laksn

laksn Senior IL'ite

Hi AArti!

Thanks for the information! I love brown rice:).......but to be safe...I am trying to avoid rice....if at all i eat rice...i try to cook it outside and wash it once! Someone told me that helps a lil bit! Dinner is always around 8:00 or 8:30 for me ...as I get home only around 7ish..Maybe I should cook and refrigerate! I did try it for a while...but these days I prefer fresh food:) right off the stove! Hmm I have not tried raagi but I love oatmeal...I alternate between kashi/kellogs/oatmeal for 2nd bfast:)...which again is at 8:30! I start off with a fruit for bfast or toast...to help me through my commute:)...I guess by the end of pregnancy I would hate fruits and veggies! DO let me know how to incorporate raagi into bfast!

Regards,
    Lakshmi

2. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

You can make ragi porridge (with very li'l milk & you can even use skim milk for it). Puttu, adai, dosai, idiyappam can also be done with ragi flour. Whole wheat flour is better too - you can make wheat flour dosais too. Also instead of rava or semiya use broken wheat or samba godhumai or lapsi.
    Whole bread, raisins, fruits with skin & less juice like apples, pears help control the increase in blood sugar. You have to eat foods with low glycemic index, these help prevent sudden increase in blood sugar. This avoids shocking your pancreas. But you have to face the fact that when both parents are diabetic the chance of you getting is relatively high (depends on what type & when they got it). Its a matter of time when you'll precipitate the condition. But if you maintain a healthy diet & exercise regularly you can have minimal problems & even if you need drugs to control it you may be able to take care of it easily.
    L.

3. laksn

laksn Senior IL'ite

Hi Lavanya!

hi Lavanya,
    Thanks for the ragi porridge recipe...I will try it out this weekend once I do my Indian grocery shopping! You are right, its only a matter of time till I get it! Thats wht my family doctor says too...Since my dad got it very early, right from childhood me n my brother were geared towards a strict low fat, low sugar, low salt, low spice diet...:)...but after coming to the US i have freaked out a lot..now trying to get backon track:( which is so bad!

L

4. Aarti

Aarti New IL'ite

Hi Lakshmi

Hi,

as Lavanya has mentioned, there r many ways to eat ragi. i personally think when u add milk u need to add some sweetner to make kheer or the other way as she said is making dosa. but m too lazy for that. prefer the shortcut.

take a little ragi flr. and mix it with lil water and dissolve completely to make a paste. boil some water , add some salt, cumin pwdr, ajwain to the prepared paste pour it in the boiling water. cook for a couple of mins. till u see the changed colour and glaze comes on it, add a lil ghee and eat it warm.

ragi has loads of calcium, its cold by nature( property of food), and easy to digest( no constipation). we give it to the baby right frm 4th month onwds as 1 whole meal. it strengthens the bones and keep them active. i gave it to my daughter till recently and she still loves it. she is 2 now.

coz its so easy and quick, any time of the day or night it helps. i have 1 more suggestion. if u r eating pickles or tamarind, that too increases acidity and generates heat more. u might want to check that also.

if u r expecting anyone frm india, or may be ur mom for ur delievery, she can make this flr at home ane bring over. also u get ragi papad in india. with so many restrictions, these papads give u some relief. just microwave them so no added oil also.

Aarti

5. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi friends,

i am going through 36weeks and getting lot of itching at belly, lower legs, back. doctor said to lessen salt intake . it has been reduced a lot. but i get so much itching at legs that it turns red. is there any home remedy to get rid off this problem.. need suggestions urgently.

bye
    padma

6. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: too much itching

Hi Padma,
    It might be due to streching of the skin.

Use some cooling lotions.

Take care,
    Punitha

7. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Padma,
    Applying liquid paraffin thoroughly does help a lot, if there is itching.
    Believe me, I had the same itching problem, when I was carrying my daughter.
    It is nuisansical, but please do not worry about the same. Be careful not to scratch because this is caused by stretching of the skin. Marks may be left later.
    All the best.
    Love,
    Chithra.
    <xml id=yoombaxml></xml>

8. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi Puni, Chitraji,

thanks for the early reponse now i will not scratch already scratched too much.

bye
    padma

9. parivasu

parivasu New IL'ite

Hi padma,

It is not very unusual though some ladies get them. Apply pure calamine lotion,there will be lot of relief and also improvement.

good luck take care

parivasu

10. manvitha

manvitha New IL'ite

hi padma i m facing the same problem from 3-4 month. now a days i feel much better.actually i had hies also (means whenever masquitos bites us we will get them.they are called hies and bulges i think)earlier i applied coconut oil for that itching that will give some raleaf then they used come another place.head nusce suggested me to take benadril pills.they couldn't give solution.they suppressed temporaryly.then i got appoint form doctor she gave some other medicine now i feel better. they will come rearly.but u shoud use
    moistureized soaps to u r body that will helps great.