Too much itching during pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by laksn, Jan 18, 2007.

1. laksn

laksn Senior IL'ite

Hi Lavanya!

Thanks for the information! I have not changed my diet yet..What sort of change are you talking about? with regards to temp, I always keep it at 66-68. I will have to do some cotton shopping this weekend:)...

2. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

Changing as in, addition of oils & fats to your diet, if you haven't already been doing so. By the way that temperature sounds a bit too cold... try couple degrees higher - may be its too cold n' dry.

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Laksn..

You have received many valuable suggestions here and maybe some of them are also working by now. I just had to add this small suggestion...Have you tried simple Vaseline? I am a firm believer in this very basic cream/lotion. Give it a try, it will help:)
    All the best for your pregnancy and delivery.

L, Kamla

4. laksn

laksn Senior IL'ite

Hi LAvanya

I know...i feel so warm when I increase the heat...and sweat at night...so i keep it at 66-68 these days:(.. I will trying adding some oil to my diet.. I do add oil, but not much. minimal for thadka~

L

5. laksn

laksn Senior IL'ite

Hi Kamla!

HI Kamla,
    Thanmks for the reply. I have not tried Vaseline:)... I will get this weekend and try out instead of my regular Aveeno:)

6. Aarti

Aarti New IL'ite

Hi Laksn,

i have had a similar problem during my pregnancy. and when i was going thru ur post, 1 st question came to my mind is abt ur blood sugar. as u r in 3rd trim., have u checked it? higher blood sugar dries out ur skin and so itching starts.

what i used to do was a home remedy. in some warm coconut oil, mix some turmeric powder and apply on ur stomach and on the other affected area. use more oil and less T. pwdr in the night. in the mornings, before bath, more T. pwdr wld do. and yes cotton wears r the best.

try to control ur intake of sweets, oily or spicy food. frm my personal experiance, its easier said than done. but try. it might work. also milk + T. pwdr + honey might help.

i hope it will help u. All the very best.

warm regards,

Aarti

7. laksn

laksn Senior IL'ite

Hi Aarti!

Hi,

I have not checked my blood sugar levels yet. It is due in a week. I do not take sweets or sugar..and am cutting down on rice and switching to roti..to be safe...Both my parents are diabetic and I heard I have a very good chance of getting GD:(...I will try brining down the spice content in my food! Will try the coconut oil+turmeric powder treatment and let you know:). Do you have a meal plan for GD? If so do send it to me!

Thanks,
    L

8. laksn

laksn Senior IL'ite

Hi Aarti!

Hi,

I have not checked my blood sugar levels yet. It is due in a week. I do not take sweets or sugar..and am cutting down on rice and switching to roti..to be safe...Both my parents are diabetic and I heard I have a very good chance of getting GD:(...I will try brining down the spice content in my food! Will try the coconut oil+turmeric powder treatment and let you know:). Do you have a meal plan for GD? If so do send it to me!

Thanks,
    L

9. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    Vitamin E oil helps to relieve itching during pregnancy . The oil can be massaged and capsules of the oil can be swallowed.
    Skin starts itching in dry , cold weather too. Rubbing Gingelly oil ( Seasame or Til ) is very effective for this.

Manjula

10. Aarti

Aarti New IL'ite

Hi

Hey,

what ur doing is correct. i know not eating rice at all isnt easy. but u might want to try brown rice. it has more fiber, less starch as compared to normal one. also avoid eating any thing except water after 7 pm. i know its not easy, but thats what my doctor had suggested me. my test results were normal but the sugar level was near the red line.

u r always hungry while pregnant. its natural. but any food after 7 pm gets converted in sugar more. m no medico. just rewriting what i was being told.

take early breakfast. raagi flr. helps. oatmeal cereal with some milk and nuts is considered very good food. eat at regular intervals. lots of fruits and greens.

wl find out more and if i get anything wl let u know for sure.

Aarti