1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Toddler friendly dips

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Rajnigandha, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Rajnigandha

Rajnigandha Senior IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

My LO is 14 month old and eats only chapathi or paratha. It is less messy and he can have the satisfaction of eating by himself, plus he loves it. So, I pack pieces of vegetable, paneer, methi or aloo paratha for his lunch in his daycare. However, it gets dry. I need some ideas for toddler-friendly dips or chutneys or other ideas to eat with chapathi or paratha, to ensure it does not get dry and boring when he is only munching on pieces of paratha for lunch.

Thanks in advance.

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Rajni, how about yogurt? you can get in some calcium too that way.

3. Rajnigandha

LO HATES yogurt (cold or room temperature; flavored or not; homemade or store-bought) :(

4. LuvLadoo35

LuvLadoo35 Gold IL'ite

Hey RajniGandha,

My toddler also only eats paratha and mac&cheese. I always send some kind of dal /pulses along with Parathas to his daycare. I usually soak garbanzo beans/black eye peas/greenmong on a weekly basis and make a thick soup out of each of these pulses and send it along with paratha. Simply pressure cook the pulses and add garlic/cumin seeds/hing tadka on top with some salt and garam masala. Some days ,I boil yellow dals and palak and add tadka.
    When its mac and cheese day, I add some extra milk(3 spoons) to his lunch box so that when they heat it its not that dry.

Hope this helps. I never send just chapati coz they tend to get hard/too dry .

2 people like this.
  5. sweetypi

sweetypi Platinum IL'ite

I don't have kids yet but I remember my mom giving us chutneys made with fruits stewed with ginger and some other spices. She used ripe fruits which would be naturally sweeter.

2 people like this.
  6. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Did you try peanut chutni? If he has no allergies I would give it a try as nuts are a good nutrition. Depending on how much chilli pwd / green chilli you use in your recipe I would cut the amount down or skip it at all.
    Did you tried different tastes like apple chutni? I just recently came across it and thought it might be nice for toddlers as its sweetish.
    There is a web blog (not sure if im allowed to post the link, if you are interested pm me) where i saw recipes for carrot and spinach chutni which i liked, maybe these are worth a shot if your lil one likes those veggies. Gajar is sweet and kids often like dishes made out of it, so just thought of it.
    Did you try the typical every day traditional ones? (tomato, coriander, tomato, coconut etc.). When i was little i loved the khajur imli ki chutni, dates are quite healthy too and rich in iron if im not wrong.

4 people like this.
  7. Rajnigandha

Thanks for your response. Do you ask your day care provider to dip paratha in dal while feeding your LO?

8. Rajnigandha

Those were great ideas!
    Do you mind pm-ing me the link? Thanks!

9. Armaity25

Armaity25 Silver IL'ite

Here are a few dips which might help-
    Tomato chutney-In a pan add some oil and green chillies(optional) and tomatoes finely chopped and allow to cook.Add little water and cook till mushy.Then add salt and sugar and if not adding chillies then a pinch of pepper.Once it becomes dry store it in the fridge.Stays well for a week.Same can be done with pineapple,black grapes,strawberries,cherries,etc.

Another nice dip would be metkut dip.Its simple.Whisk some curds and add salt and sugar to it.Then mix some readymade metkut powder which is a mixture of different lentils hence healthy.
    Do try these out.Hope it helps.

1 person likes this.
  10. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

hi how about mango pulp.... taste good with chapati.. and kids will love it

1 person likes this.