1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

To work or not to work!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by justanothergirl, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

On a lighter note:
    Having to explain the credit they deserve is proof enough that they aren't receiving enough of it. :)

Now if you will excuse me, I need to go back to changing the world like someone. :rotfl

2. hemalathaK

hemalathaK Platinum IL'ite

Awww.. I and my husband are ready to reverse our roles provided I get a good paying job and we have discussed this so many times :cheers.

He is so eagerly waiting to take care of home and kids and I on the other hand waiting if someone gives me a job.But that doesn't seem to happen anyway:-D.

2 people like this.
  3. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

:cheers Go Dad!

4. riya123

riya123 Gold IL'ite

My opinion - A man is as much free as a woman to be a SAHD. He is free to follow his heart. In fact SAHD is a good idea if that would help stabilize things at home

1 person likes this.
  5. poojachinoy

poojachinoy Gold IL'ite

we have decided as soon as i land a job,he will be quitting his and going back to school to pursue his dream of studying law..presently he is a nuclear engineer..definitely its a career change..will have to live hand to mouth but am cool with it as long as he is investing his time and age into education.i have no fears of being the primary bread winner.

but, stay at home looking after kids,cooking,cleaning is a big NO for me as i stay in a joint family setup..one set of in-laws(MIL and FIL)is a handful for me right now...another one,and i will kill myself.

4 people like this.
  6. steve

steve Platinum IL'ite

7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Also on a lighter note, that is dodging the request for explanation of "credit" :)

8. Rihana

No.

When both parents work, they are jointly responsible for the list of tasks described above.
    When one parent stays home, he/she becomes primarily responsible for those tasks, for the simple reason that the working parent is the primary breadwinner.

That this needs to be explained is surprising! :)

9. Rihana

JAG, I think the question of a person staying home is very strongly linked to kids being or not in the picture. But since you say you want to encompass a generic scenario - this is my response: A husband's choice of staying at home is not as easily available/implementable as a wife's choice for many reasons within and outside their control. And that, IMO, is not fair to men.

About the (Indian) working woman's parents getting priority over the stay-at-home man's, I suggested that, because if we talking about reversal of status-quo, then, it has to encompass the existing "inequalities/trends/norms", which means the woman's parents come first and can live with the couple by default, with the man's parents being "welcome to live with them if no other option exists as that would be the humanitarian thing to do." And, thereby, the stay-at-home man's daytime duties could include some taking care of in-laws.

An extremely interesting topic, and the responses have been pleasantly varying in nature. My take is what it was in that fb: if a person wants to stay home, both spouses have to agree. if a person wants to work, spouse's agreement is a nice-to-have.

My last on this. :) That is more a note to myself! :)

2 people like this.
  10. hema_alex

hema_alex Senior IL'ite

Stay at home dads were hard to come by when I was in India. But after moving to Canada, I have seen lots of stay at home dads too :)

With respect to following his heart.....my answer would be YES!!!! When women can, why not men.

1 person likes this.