1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

To work or not to work!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by justanothergirl, Nov 2, 2012.

1. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

In addition to this, it also means if something goes wrong the whole blame goes on that parent, without consideration towards any other factors.

- Child falls sick, mom didn't take care well.
    - Child is weak, mom is not cooking proper food.
    - Gets hurt, where were you?
    - Does poorly in class, didn't you teach him?
    and so on.

The problem SAHD can face here is that, at workplace we work as a team, and rarely, if ever, have to take entire blame our own person. This can be come as an unexpected and unpleasant surprise to many. Awareness of this can be major deterrent towards trying being SAHP for men.

2 people like this.
  2. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

Aren't these the duties of parents regardless of whether they stay at home or work outside. :)

4 people like this.
  3. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

I would say Men who are sole breadwinners are not given due credits.

2 people like this.
  4. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

can you explain that,Radhai? what do you mean by "credit"?

5. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

Ajith, you are right. With competition all around, this situation sucks even more. It was nice for our dada, cause they never had to worry about being 'laid off'.

On a lighter note, In India, explaining it to the maids is more important [​IMG] My cousin brother got 'work-from-home' opportunity for first six months when they returned to India (Mumbai). The maid inquired Bhabi why 'sahab' does not go to work. Bhabi tried to explain, gave up and joked that he gets money without going to the office. Soon, the word spread around that he has some underworld connections and was awarded a visit from cops !!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

It didn't until we brought in the concept of motherhood and its impact on the earning capacity into the equation. But once it was brought in I had to encompass a generic scenario. Will a husband have the choice of staying at home whether or not there are kids involved in the picture.

7. justanothergirl

Wow never thought I would read this !!! but hey what ever floats your boat.
    You are very clear about ur strengths and weakness which is a great starting point.Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  8. justanothergirl

I agree its not that easy . Have see a few whites but not one single Indian household in this mode. (Ok I am not talking about bais who earn for their drunken husbands) talking about middle/upper middle class educated families where we have a woman who brings home the moolah and the guy taking care of the home.
    Seen one or two where the guys left jobs to start some 'business' which never took off and blowing up the wife's hard earned money...but my definition of a SAHD will not tolerate these .

9. justanothergirl

No one denies it and I really dont want this thread to go in that direction....SAHP vs working mom.
    The question is are we ready to hand over this 'equally difficult career' path to the man.
    But aren't we asking for it already? Thread after thread the frustration has been that the boys parents are not treated the same as girls parents. Daughters are not contributing as much as the sons. Women dont have the same say in finances.We want things to be same/fair/equal.....but are they really?

10. justanothergirl

Ajith the uncertainty factor ..thats the worst. Completely get it...wish more men can take breaks.