1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tired and Confused! Need Direction and Help

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by perplexed, Jan 29, 2013.

1. perplexed

perplexed Senior IL'ite

Friends I have a lot of problems going on in my marital life and I really need an insight and guidance. I had a love marriage and me and my then boy friend had a lot of love and understanding between us. He showed that he gave importance to my feelings, my aspirations and people important in my life. I obviously did the same and genuinely always wanted to do the best I can in this relationship. He had some financial issues before marriage which I tried helping out with and we also got married much earlier than I wanted as his parents wanted it. Since I was just finishing my studies when we decided to get married, I wanted to serve my parents after marriage, which he agreed to.

Then we got married and hell let loose…..he was a very different person. Rather than giving importance to the life we started together he from day one just talked to me about getting the loans paid, kept reminding me again and again that I was in a new family and now I have to do everything according to them. He even clearly told me in indian societies girls give nothing to their parents and so things talked before marriage no longer mattered. When I spoke back, he told me many times that I was marrying him not signing a contract with him so whatever we discussed about serving my parents did not matter. It was not just this…he used to be cold, temperamental and right after marriage when I needed him the most he was just concerned about his parents and his side of family. Then I started getting regular lessons about, girls duty in traditional india, girls duty towards husbands family, how to talk to my parents, etc etc etc. I must mention that I myself come from a cultured family and I always tried to stand by him in all his responsibilities. I gave more importance to his parents and sil every single time than my family and made their needs were dealt with. In about 1.5 years after marriage I helped them pay off their home loans, car (~18 lakhs) etc, always tried to mingle with his family, never replied back to anyone and genuinely tried to inculcate love in the family. I am not saying this to boast about all this but just to tell that I myself valued all this. My husband was a student and I was the one working, which ofcourse is against the concept of traditional indian society but he did not feel bad about that at all….but when it came to myside of the family he conveniently became conservative, in telling me parents need to be forgotten and distance maintained with them and that went to even the extent of him telling me how many times I should talk to them on phone, what to talk etc etc.
    I have an elderly brother who means a lot to me, we have a big age gap and so growing up he has been my mentor helping me through everything. Mine was an intercast love marriage and so parents had some sort of issues (that is my guess), he and my bhabi (his spouse) for my happiness stood by my side and made it happen. My husband always knew before marriage what they have done for me and what they meant. Until the time they helped me for making this marriage happen they were “extremely good”, right after marriage he used to say distasteful things about them. He would misinterpret the things they said and blow them out of proportion just to show his anger. And trust me if they were wrong I would have stood by my husband, but I know my husband is just doing this to creat a rift between them and me. Even when my bhabi had a miscarriage after years of trying for baby, my husband selfishly said that I should not worry too much as I am married and should only be concerned about matters of my present family

We went back to india for our first vacation after marriage. We had very limited resources…as we used to live in different cities for work and he was studying and I had an entry level job. We took a lot of gifts for his side of family, took care of all expenses, took them for trip etc etc , we spent almost 2.5-3 lakh on for his side of family, it was not easy for us at that time and really I wanted them to enjoy , have a good time and my husband to feel that if am more than willing to be his right hand until he is on his feet. We did all this shopping here together and I bought stuff for about 10,000 Rs for my side of the family. When we took out gifts for after reaching india, he happily took out everything with me for his parents and sister in front of them. When I started showing gifts we bought for my family, he stood at distance. Because his parents would not like it. Later he had some talk with his parents and he insulted me a lot for buying stuff for my family, completely leaving my side. On the same trip he would have issues me going and visiting my parents…….I had to meet my sister after 1.5 years, who lives in a different city (my brother already lives in a different country) and he said he wont go as his mom wont allow us. I spent 80% of time with inlaws on the trip and 20% with my parents and he was too uncomfortable as his parents wanted more. His parents also expect me to follow everything he wants and not to impose anything on him saying its patriarchy society

All this over years this has been causing so much resentment that I feel I am alone in this family and I have no security. He is totally just concerned about what his parents need and want first and foremost and wants me to keep what he and his parents want a top priority. Which I really try my best to do but its just not enough for him. He keeps poking u did not do this, did not do that , even petty things like you add your relatives on facebook you should find my relatives (people I have never met or seen) and add them. He does not want to talk to his relatives himself on phone and wants me to pick phone and call everyone…..I get tired of all this. His dad even told me if your husband is so important to you leave your parents completely, if I had answered back saying the same for him, they would have said I don’t have good values. I recently told my family about all this and they are ready to support me if I want to step out of the marriage, I would like to give one last shot to fix things, but I don’t know how and I am tired. Need help and suggestions

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013

2. SudhaMakesh

SudhaMakesh Silver IL'ite

hi Honey,

It is really making me feel bad for you... Guys never show their face to women before marriage and after marriage they don't hesitate to unleash the animal inside them.

Coming to your case.. It seems like you are not with your in laws.But still you feel no closeness with him.. As far as i can understand from his perception " you are something he wanted and he got it. That is all..That you shouldn't be thinking on its own" He should have been born a 100-200 yrs back.

Honey I am really sorry to say this I know how much it will hurt you but it seems like " He cared much for the money you make than you." How come no one around you noticed that? Your friends, co students anybody???

If you want a simple solution. Decide that you have no brain on your own and start acting as he says. Believe me a lot of women live like that because they are not ready to say that their marriage is not working.

Next choice: Talk to him. Tell him how he was before marriage and how he is after. Make him understand that you will never disobey their family and you want the same from him too. Marrying him doesn't alienate you from your family.

Getting out of relationship is easy to do. But bonding back tough. So be sure before you break up. Some people simply can't accept the fact of break up and worry about it afterwards. Then go back and join with husband again. This time you will be treated worse for sure.

Before taking the big step think. Step out of your place. Be a third person and evaluate the issue.

Am i overreacting?
    Will he change if i explain him?
    Will it change when time runs?
    Does anyone from his side can help me to make them understand?
    Can i fight for my rights to help my family, be with my family?

At last from what you say... it seems like you really love him. Talk to him. He doesn't seems to be the counselling going type. You have to talk and make him try to understand. Don't ask for everything in a talk. But look out for a progress in him.

Sweetheart , Telling you to leave him is an easy task. But building it back is impossible. It will never be the same. Listen to yourself. If it is a sacrifice done by your side alone means go for what your heart says....

"Whatever may be the decision, make one thing for sure. You should not regret in future."

Have a great and wonderful life. Will pray for you.

4 people like this.
  3. riya123

riya123 Gold IL'ite

Every day morning, tell yourself atleast 10 times that "You are not going to please your husband and in-laws". Accept the fact that no matter what you do, your husband and inlaws will never get pleased. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that you are being used as a cash cow in that house. Disconnect yourself emotionally from your husband. Your husband and in-laws are simply having more fun by controlling you and you are simply letting them control you.

Why do you have to pay their loans? Why do you have to take their permission to take care of your parents?. When they are giving lessons to you, you can simply act deaf or look disinterested in their lectures.

5 people like this.
  4. perplexed

perplexed Senior IL'ite

"If you want a simple solution. Decide that you have no brain on your own and start acting as he says. Believe me a lot of women live like that because they are not ready to say that their marriage is not working."

Thanks a bunch for your reply. Yes this is exactly what he wants.....be a "yes woman" and cut ties with my family to maximum possible extent. And look at the double standards, with those expectations, he has always been more concerned about what his parents want and think without caring about me. Not being able to serve my parents financially and his changed attitude right after marriage kept me in a lot of pain. But nothing ever melted in him............yes I stay in north america. The first time we went back home after 1.5 years, he was a completely different person with me in front of his parents, like he just has a team with his parents. He would be so temperamental and controlling all the time that I cried every single day during visit. This is when even here in north amarica we were living in different cities due to work and we were going to be together for a month after about 1.25 years.

Because of his different faces I dont trust him, I feel he can turn his back on me anytime. This has been pulling me into depression all through the marriage. Yet I kept a smiling face in front of everyone until we had a big fight few months back and i revealed things to my folks. When things came in front of his family his dad said, I had been cheap in bringing up the money issue, and he was ofcourse with them completely forgetting what i tried to do for the family and how he turned back on me for the smallest things I wanted to do for my parents. Its not really even just about money, I feel his love and warmth is conditional upon whether i do as he says or not. What is the point of being life partners if we dont value what is important for each other or rely on each other

I have been an independent individual, I have always felt I have full responsibility towards my old parents just like a son as they did everything and more for me than they did for their son. And I dont think I am wrong in thinking that. I feel husband and wife should be equal, should support each other in all walks of life and have their own individuality. I cant be a puppet..........and I never showed I was one when we were dating.........to which he conveniently says girls have to change after marriage, you came to this family not me.

The life he wants me to live is not who I am, I have made my share of adjustments, always given importance to what he wants but nothing is just enough for him. And the main issues arise if I express to do something for my side of the family. Even if I call a relative of mine once in 6 months, it makes me a bad wife, someone no getting adjusted in current family. I have been an earner throughtout if he were not important nothing would have stopped me for doing what i wanted, but I always wanted to go ahead with his happiness. And yet he does not even FYI me when he is sending lakhs of rupees to his folks after he started earning. Now I m so tired dealing with this day in and day out that I have no motivation, I just cant pull myself and fight and I cant figure out how else to deal with this

Riya you are right I am being controlled and for them this is normal, a wife/ dil has to be controlled and there is nothing wrong about it. I dont want to hurt them by behaving snobbish but I dont agree with/ cant deal with their attitude either

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  5. Decentguy

Decentguy New IL'ite

Ahhh.....and to think that you had a love marriage.

The joy of love marriage
    who could resist,
    for it is love that's bringing us together
    and it is marriage that will take us apart.....

2 people like this.
  6. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

So by now you would have talked a number of times about the importance of your family side and not even a word would have gone into your H's head.Its waste of time trying to explain and make him understand.Rather put your foot down and have your own way.Every week call your parents and talk,don't expect him to talk and if he questions tell him that your parents are important to you no matter what he thinks.Similarly before going for a vacation tell him clearly the number of days you stay at IL's place and the number of days atMom's place.If he agrees go for vacation otherwise ask him to go alone.Also since you are earning have a pocket money and get gifts for your parents.Do not discuss about that with your IL's and talk to your H only if he asks.Tell him that it is your hard earned money and you have the right to spend for parents.Above all,don't loose your self respect and be strong in front of IL's and H.Only then they will respect your views.

2 people like this.
  7. Stressfull

Stressfull Silver IL'ite

sorry to say this,it's crystal clear he married you only for th financial assistance before marriage only he studied ur nature and very cleverly he trapped you, u just blindly accepted him.

coming to present you know what is good for u, take a stand and clearly tell him your parents also has equal importance in ur life, ask him whether he agrees if his sis dh also impose same thing for his sis.

I support JGVR says respect yourself first then only others will respect us.

8. Quebec

Quebec Platinum IL'ite

Its your life........

Decide if you wanna be a slave to a stranger and if you have a DD in future be a rollmodel to her on how women are doormats to men after marriage........

OR

you can leave that PIG and start with the family that loves you adores you..........
    Now that you have told your family just imagine how it must be eating them away seeing you live like this..........
    About your big bro, how helpless he must be feeling that the little girl he used to protect from all dangers and guide her has himself led you into this........

Please leave such leeches that drink your blood everyday.........

That is what I think........

But it up to you

2 people like this.
  9. ladki1

ladki1 Silver IL'ite

i think u are a atm machine for him to get money for him and for his family.....and if by chance if u will not earn then u will be a treated like a unpaid slave....

stand yaar.....kisssi k samne begggar ki tarah pyar k liye bhik mang rahi hoooo...respect ur self ,thn only other will respect u....

10. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

do your parents need your support ,if No then don't make an issue out of it.........no Indian parents want to spoil their daughter's marriage for themself..........
    if Yes,then talk with him & try to sweeten him up by flattery .........

long distance marriage seems to have affected your relationship.........are you guys together now?if yes,then try to strenghten your relationship by spending time together........don't talk about relations, yours or his.ask him rather request him to follow this rule of not talking about relatives.

the 1st visit to India is always stressfull as you go with lots of ecpectations,the people(relatives)back home have lots of expectations & as things are not same as we imagined or wished we end up getting disappointed..........personally,i try to go before hubby & spend time with my parents it may be a week or forthnight,then he comes & we spend time with inlaws,visiting religious places & so on...........since you are working it may not be possible but try to see if you can plan this way........

in this era of internet,mobile phones who needs permission of spouses to call parents or siblings......if he gets annoyed then call them in his absence......

you helped him financially,great...........you did your duty..be contend in that feeling...........why expect something in return......your love,marriage is much more important..........work to make it better..........there seems to be no reason to step out of it.

and yes,harsh but true that after marriage a girl has to think more about her hubby,her marriage & not her parents & siblings......accept it & move forward.

lastly,inlaws are not physically present with you so don't think too much about them...........let him handle them as he see fit,you just listen to them ,ignore suugestions you don't like & do what YOU like.