1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Tips on orlando trip during chrismas with 3 year old?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Priya4oct, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Hello friends,

We are planning to go orlando during Christmas for five days. Had seen few deals in Priceline and looks OK (or any suggestion for travel agent?)...

Can you please help me on planning as I have 3 year old. We are planning one park/day so that we do not get exhausted.

Also, would it good idea to go orlando during this period..one of my friends asked not to go orlando as it will be quite expensive and crowdy..We are really confused.

I really want to go some where in vacation and not getting any other place other than orlando. If you have any suggestion, please share.

We are in NJ and can go any where in USA..

2. enfinity

enfinity New IL'ite

Yes please do not go during long weekends.

There will be huge masses... Maybe on the Christmas eve and day it maybe empty but the remaining week it will be crowded

Plan for some activity where u don't have to stand in line

3. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

To escape winter from northeast, only inviting place would be either westcoast - California or South - Florida. May be South Carolina, but I am not sure.

Texas would have extreme weather during this time too. Everywhere it's going to be a pain unless you want to enjoy winter, then the whole of USA is out there for you !

4. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Thanks envinity...We are planning to go on 19th (thursday of previous week) and come back on Christmas...so half of Christmas week..
    Any other suggestion to go on Christmas holiday?

5. prettydevil

prettydevil Platinum IL'ite

Priya.. Orlando will be a good option during that time of the year, as you have a 3yr old, coz of the decorations, parades and shows. But it will be very very crowded.

If you are planning to go, you may want to keep 2 days for Magic kingdom, as there will be many princess and mickeys and donalds and bla bla bla... all the characters that kids like. there will be huge huge line for their photos.

For rides, you can opt for a Fast Pass option. This way you can save some time.

But there are rides that do no have this option too, so out there, be prepared to wait for hours.

If you do not want to go to Orlando, you can plan for some resort that has many children activities.

6. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Thanks Pretty Devil...
    I have alrady thought of 2 days for maguc kingdom..my DD is big fan of all the characters..Can you please suggest about other parks...which will be good with kiddo.
    I am not a fond of big rides (but my DH is) so I guess 1 days should be fine for that park..

Also, any idea on Chicago during chrismas..will it be very cold like NY/NJ?

7. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Chicago is colder than NJ/NY. Very very windy. If you want to escape cold, its definitely not the best idea. That said, Chicago is beautiful during winter (like any other place in US, its decorated well for the christmas season). There are tons of museums and indoor parks.

8. aarthy

aarthy Senior IL'ite

We recently went for our first year anniversary.(apart from other places) We covered only universal studios..islands of adventure in one day. We took express pass. It was a bit costly. But since we went during long weekend it was worth it. Seeing the queue I realised I wouldn't have gone for more than two rides in one day if I had got normal pass. And my legs would have gone..

9. maya69

maya69 Gold IL'ite

We went there for christmas break few years back with my kids preteen/teen. It was not as warm as we think it will be even in florida at that time. day was pleasant but evenings were cold and it rained occasionally. Yes its crowded but if you dont try to do too much and get the one or two must see fast pass asap then just roaming about and seeing characters is not a big problem. We thought animal kingdom was a must see and even my kids enjoyed. Some of the parking lots filled up by 10am. Epcott had a lot of just walk through items especially at the international pavillion. Many of the kiddie rides were quiet at disneyaland after 6 too. My kids enjoyed the down time at the hotel pool just playing so I suggest you have a stay in day as well.

10. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

One day per park is good for adults. Parents plan to spend at least 2 days per park. There are such multiple entry tickets available too.

Before you go there, ask any parents that have been there and find out the most interesting stuff in each park. Many rides/shows/plays in each park have entry passes too. You can take the entry passes for those shows/plays/rides ahead of time. Meanwhile, you can do rest of the plays.

There are strollers available all over Disney. You may not need your own stroller.

There are many useless rides and shows in each park. So choose wisely.

APCOT has very good fireworks. Have fun.