1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Till Eternity

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Thyagarajan, May 27, 2024.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

But that was reported Not natural and not ripe one.

shyamala1234 likes this.
  2. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

We always get carried away by emotions. I totally agree with the comment of Hari ji, what if the husband goes first? Our society always applauds the woman sacrificing herself for others and creates such an image for an ideal woman, wife, mother etc. If she just for a moment thinks about herself, she is branded as being selfish. The funny thing is that no one else takes care of her interests, hidden desires, aspirations even remote ones, yes generally. She is taken for granted to be strong, supportive always, come what may..they ( esp. men and people who hold the ideal womanhood of India as their view)just don't care about what happens to her after her husband passes away. Except of course for some like Hariji. Sons unpredictable if under the spell of his family of wife, kids etc. And I wonder why the award of finest post at the cost of the indian ideal woman, not to speak of the ideal Tamil woman, ! I have to thank my fortunes that I have a spouse who nurtured me with encouragement, support in spite of all tough situations we faced together. Or else I cannot even imagine my sad plight in such a male dominated and biased society. And in a predominantly women forum by a man? Again as I mentioned earlier, we are an emotional society.

Last edited: May 31, 2024
  3. Thyagarajan

When one if my seven bosom friends expired on a monday morning due to fatal heart attack in bath room, i could not reach his home as he was residing with spouse away in kovai aka COIMBATORE. His two married daughters were (are) in far off places.

The daughters were willing to take care of their mother but she preferred to stay in senior citizens home NANNA NANEE in COIMBATORE itself. Out of my seven bosom friends, four have expired and their spouses are either in senior homes or with their son or daughter.

It looks - it is empirically designed that husbands predecease before their wife.

My MIL was often teased by her husband that he would depart to heaven first and make best arrangements beforehand when she joins him in heaven! It sure happened that way. On 89th day of expiration of my FIL, his wife one afternoon was rinsing her saree at back yard collapsed near a washing stone and thus her life journey concluded. It was heard that within 90 dies if the lady dies after her husband expired, her death is considered as “Sumangali” end!

HariLakhera likes this.
  4. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Finest Post Winner

This is what I got from Google_

"According to the 2011 census of India, there were 5.6 crore widowed people in the country, with women making up almost 78% of that total. The age distribution of widows was:
    • 10–19 years: 0.45%
    • 20–39 years: 9.0%
    • 40–59 years: 32%
    • Above 60 years: 58%
    The 2011 census also found that 36.47 million widowed women were aged 45 or older, which was 29% of the total number.
    India has the largest widow population in the world, and widows in the country often face difficulties due to negative social attitudes and restrictions. These restrictions include patriarchal customs, religious laws, and discrimination in inheritance rights. Many widows also suffer abuse and exploitation from family members, often in the context of property disputes.
    At the time of the 2011 Indian Census, there were 43 million widowed women in India, a population comparable to a mid-sized country (Government of India 2011). In fact, 7.4% of all Indian women are widows compared to the mere 1.8% of Indian men who are widowers (Government of India 2011)"

This can also be because there is age gap between wife and husbands, say 5-10 years. While blessing a bridegroom- Saubhagyavati Bhav- is said. (indirectly meaning die before your husband). We have to go and see the conditions of widows in Varanasi and Vrindavan in UP, most of them from West Bengal.
    Well, the condition of widowers is not good either but men find ways to adjust mainly because the system helps them. If they are smart enough and own some property all the better.

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Hari Sir,

It is heart-breaking to read the statistics you have shared. We don't know their economic status. Just imagin if they are lower or middle income group widows, what kind of suffering they would undergo. At least women in higher society, even if they become widow, they will learn how to survive with their wealth.

HariLakhera and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Thanks to @HariLakhera for producing the last Indian census statistics about widows percentage in varying age groups. That reminded me how this impelled even actress MP to remark pathetic conditions exists in Indian states for widows.

Actor-politician Hema Malini on one Thursday sought to defend her remarks that widows from West Bengal and Bihar should not crowd Vrindavan in Uttar Pradesh, saying she said this in the context of how they were being ignored in their home states and government not doing enough for them.

She remarked in parliament that states like west bengal and Bihar not doing good for welfare of widows of their state as a result they are crowding Vrindavan and there should be a move to prevent widows from other states entering Vrindavan!

HariLakhera likes this.
  7. Thyagarajan

But in the Indian History is full of stories as to how widows were managing not only their affairs better but took care of the society and the State. Here i am reminded of ahilyabai Holkari

upload_2024-6-1_11-16-45.jpeg

HariLakhera likes this.
  8. HariLakhera

Dear Shri Viswa,
    Yes, most of them will be from lower or middle-class families. However, women with wealth face another issue, children and relatives harassment. Life in senior homes is good but how many can afford it?

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  9. HariLakhera

And she was a Queen. In her empire, many widows might have been suffering. And let us not forget the practice of Jowhar (women in Rajputana empires committing suicide once they were told that the enemy had won.)
    All said and done, our society has been very unkind to women. There are so many references in Geetha and Ramayana to this effect. I had posted a snippet on this, long back.

Thyagarajan likes this.