1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ticketsand Vacation Sponsoring For Inlaws

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by frndlysgp, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

It can also mean that they can only spend on themselves and they don’t want to spend on DIL, what made you think that OP and her DH are well off to keep spending on luxuries.?

What do you mean definitely ? If you and your DH are rich to spend on your IL’s good for you, but don’t impose the same expectations on others.

OP have you ever thought about how you are going to handle their medial emergency if you land in ER even for a small issue you have to spend thousands of $ add the cost of medical insurance to your budget.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  2. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

It will not be an issue, the first priority is OP’s family and their welfare if OP has enough savings to face any sudden emergencies in her family and IF the OP is willing to shower the extra savings on her SIL then she can do it.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  3. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

@Minion Going by your status update , I know there are lot of mean people in this world that piss you off & make you explode all the time, but dude we are not those people. So , you need to start fighting back but in the real world. Picking fights on a virtual forum hasn’t helped anyone. Good luck!

Archanaanchan likes this.
  4. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

@Naari it’s not just mean people that piss me off it’s also people who like to bend over and make others happy and expect others also do the same, don’t imposes your own views on others and make others feel guilty about not being able to do what you do, I am not picking up a fight you expressed your view I expressed mine.

5. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

Would SIL do the same if case was reversed and her parents and bro were visiting her abroad from India ? I doubt she would even pay for her parents, but expect brother to pay for everyone .
    Also it was wrong of OP's inlaws to pay for daughters marriage and not son's. If they have financial issues they should be paying for neither. If they can afford, they can spend for both children equally as per their capacity. Why do parents do such discrimination between their kids?? This is just an exploitation of the male child. It is only natural for OP to feel resentful.
    If OP has to prove herself ideal Dil, she can go ahead and pay for everyone's vacation . But in future if she is in dire need of money for emergency, it looks like neither her inlaws nor her SIL would be willing to foot the bill. Better to spoil your image than spoil your family's future.

frndlysgp and sindmani like this.
  6. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

It's a tricky situation. Let your dh handle it.
    Like others suggested transferring money to parents and asking them to buy tickets may be a good option. Instead of talking directly to SIL he can let his parents know about the financial burden and inability to sponsor airfare to everyone.. you pretend as if you don't have any control on it and helpless.

Look like they think you guys are super rich to afford thousands of dollars for their trip alone.. if you don't stop it now, in future you guys can expect another line up to get sponsored by you. Anyway to say yes or no to all mostly depends on mostly on your financial status and on your relationship with them.
    Do they all have visiting visa?. If not let them get it first. Is it easy to get visa to SIL ?

Sunburst likes this.
  7. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Unless your name is Bill Gates or Warren Buffet it is quite entitled for a sibling to expect a paid trip to the US.

nakshatra1 and sindmani like this.
  8. frndlysgp

frndlysgp Silver IL'ite

Well I don't stay in US. We stay in an Asian country but the package and savings are not like US/UK. Also the cost of living is high. So we need to balance

9. frndlysgp

frndlysgp Silver IL'ite

We will take the medical insurance for inlaws. That's what we did when my parents visited as well. Am fine with sponsoring their trip and no second thought on that. The problem only comes when they expect the same to be done for siblings as well

10. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

@nakshatra1 don't worry @Naari will send OP a check if OP has any trouble with money she has loads of money.

Dishaa likes this.