1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Thyroid Surgery

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by Jupi, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Jupi

Jupi New IL'ite

Hi All,

I have a question thought might be u all could help me out. My aunt has thyroid problem for the last 15 years. Her thyroid levels are normal now but the problem is her throat is swollen. She wants to do a surgery but the problem is people say that it comes back even after the surgery. She has tried every possible medication but nothing works. Can some tell me is surgery the only option or is there some other way of doing this.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Jupi

2. naazneen

naazneen Junior IL'ite

Hi,
    I'm sorry to hear about your aunts condition. Have you looked into the radioactive iodine therapy method. The thyroid absorbs iodine from from food. One way to control an overactive thyroid(which I'm assuming is your aunts case as it is her thyroid that has swollen) is by taking radioactive iodine. Contact a good endocranologist, also look at online sites. The radioactivity in the iodine basically kills part of the thyroid thereby reducing the amount of Thyroid hormones. Obviosly your Dr. will fill you into the details best. I undertook this treatment to control my overactive thyroid. Although in my case there was no swelling. Each case is different- best discuss this with the Dr. Is your aunt here or in India? In India I have known Dr;s to hesitate from doing radioactive treatment especially on women of childbearing age. But still its a less intrusive option than surgery. All the best.
    ~ Naazneen

3. Jupi

Jupi New IL'ite

Hi naazneen,

Thanks for the reply. She is in Chennai, India. She already has 2 kids and has done her family planning operation. Do u know any good doctors in Chennai, India. Anything without a surgery is best I think.

4. salam

salam New IL'ite

Hi

i done my thyroid operation before 4 years and i am taking madicine with the instruction of Dr. every 3 months i am doing check up also. in my opinion it is better to do operation, it is very simple operation no need to worry.

thank u