Thyroid levels and routine check during pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Kunthavai87, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Kunthavai87

Kunthavai87 Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I am 31 weeks pregnant now. I am diagonised with hypothyroidism even before pregnancy. During my 28 weeks blood test, they told that my thyroid levels have shooted up to 3.9. The last time the test was done at 12 weeks and it was normal(2.3).After 12 weeks, at each visit, we asked the doctor to check the thyroid levels and they told that it is unnecessary as it was normal last time...But, at 28 weeks the levels came as a shock to us...Now, they increased my dosage from 88 to 100 mcg and told they will test back at 36 weeks.

My issue is, for 16 weeks in a row, my thyroid levels were not tested and I m really bothered as it is related with the brain development of the baby...I am new to USA and not sure of how routinely they check for thyroid levels during pregnancy...because, I heard that in India they use to check the levels each 4 weeks...

I am having sleepless nights thinking about its ill effects to my baby...Blaming myself that I would have pressurized them to test or would have changed the practice...Anyone undergone the same? How often do they check thyroid levels in India and what is considered as normal range?I heard during pregnancy, the TSH range should be within 2.5. Please help.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Usually the thryroid levels are checked every 6-8 weeks during pregnancy. Every 4 weeks is not a bad idea especially if you already diagnosed as hypothyroid.
    Are you going to an endocrinologist?
    Go to another doctor if you are not confident in the one you have now.

3. JigsSM

JigsSM Silver IL'ite

Hi,

Even i have hypothryoidism before pregnancy and it was very high like 19.1 but when i conceived it was around 1.1, I am currently 15 weeks pregnant and my values are 1.79, My endocrinologist suggested me to take test after every 4 weeks to keep thyroid levels in check. Right now my dose is 100 mcg and on sat/sun 125 mcg.
    Iwould suggest you to consult some other doctor or see
    endocrinologist which can guide you more better.
    I know its matter to worry but do not worry and you can bring it under limit within 4 weeks so just take proper consultation and get it rectified.

4. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

I too have thyroid and am on medicine. My first pregnancy was in India and my OB/endo had recommended test in every other month and was adjusting dose accordingly.

Now I am expectiong my second baby in USA and my OB did only 3 thyroid test so far (I am 38 weeks). One in my first visit (6-7 weeks), second in 3rd or 4th (I guess 18th week) and last one on 28th week. For me , every time it came normal and I am on same dose . I mentioned my India routine to my Ob and he said we do not prefer to do any blood test after 28th week if it is not alarming or necessary.

5. malathi2014

malathi2014 New IL'ite

Hi All,

I am 18 weeks pregnant right. My thyroid used to be high for a year but 3 months back it was 2.53 and now I am on medicine. Yes not sure why doctors in USA are very reluctant in testing thyroid before every 3-4 months. I am worried what if they test around 24 weeks now & it comes high. What risks it will carry then ?
    Not sure what should I do ?.

Thanks