thyroid during pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Indiramaha, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Lalitha venkate

Lalitha venkate Senior IL'ite

thank u manulats and mahisree for ur replies i'll definetly inform her not to worry abt this

2. sweety1686

sweety1686 New IL'ite

Thyroid During Pregnancy--Diet

Hi Friends,

I am in 12th week of pregnant. During the 8th week of pregnancy doctors found that my thyroid level is low.From that day i am taking medicine which my gyn prescribed.. still my thyroid level is very low they increased the dosage from 25mg to 125mg..

I am very much worried about my thyroid deficiency and lack of iron also..Is that anything which i can control through diet or only medication is fine...

Help me friends!!

3. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Re: Thyroid During Pregnancy--Diet

Hello Sweety,
    When you are pregnant, your thyroid hormone requirement will usually increase during the period.
    You would not want to impair your baby’s brain growth, so it is crucial to undergo a routine check on thyroid level not only on the first trimester, but throughout the three trimesters of your pregnancy.
    TSH test is usually considered as the reliable blood test to determine how your thyroid level compares to normal range.
    Thyroid is a very tiny gland in body and is a superpower, because the hormones it produces are the body’s primary controllers for metabolism and, as a consequence, growth. Among other body processes, the thyroid controls sexual development at puberty and the changes to the structure of bones. A thyroid not functioning properly therefore results in problems in many other parts of your body.
    The thumbrule for healthy thyroid is eat iodine rich food.
    Dark green, leafy vegetables like spinach, horse radish, and watercress are rich in many minerals, zinc, magnesium, calcium and iron. When eating foods rich in iron, you can help your body increase its iron absorption capacity by also eating foods with vitamin C, like citrus fruits, tomatoes and bell peppers.
    You can avoid Some foods that contain substances that appear to impede the functions of the thyroid gland. These foods are helpful for some other purposes in the body, but thyroid patients may want to minimise their intake of these foods.Foods like cauliflower, broccoli and Brussels sprouts are said to contain these goitrogens. Canola oil, soy and peanuts, as well as cabbage may need to be avoided.

4. dubbi

dubbi Bronze IL'ite

Hi

As long as you are taking medication continously without fail , there is nothing to worry about. You have done the right thing and some women need an increased dosage which gets absorbed for the baby's development. So you are on the right track, stop worrying.

As far as iron levels are concerned, in pregnancy the blood volume increases so naturally the HB levels get reduced , so have a diet with natural iron content like dates, raisins, greens, jaggery.

If it is reallylow your doc will prescribe supplements so absolutely nothing to worry.

Keep your mind anxiety free and enjoy your pregnancy.

Cheers
    Deepa

5. sweety1686

sweety1686 New IL'ite

Thanks a lot priya and Deepa... Thanks for replying and ur valuable information...

---Sweety

6. Harini28

Harini28 Senior IL'ite

I too have hypothyroid and i am expecting. It is usually said that as long as we r on thyroid medication it is safe. But that doesnt mean the same through out the pregnancy. Our harmones go out of whack and need a close monitoring every month or on each visit. The doctors change the dose according to the levels we get in each test. It is the same over all, then it is well and good. But if the levels fluctuate, then our dose also changes accordingly.
    The diet u r talking abt, as someone said, we need to cut back little on cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, and high carbs. And make sure u have a good physical exercise to keep the harmones where they shud be.

More commonly in pregnancy we get very stressed and emotional that it will inturn affect our thyroid gland. So it is always best to reduce stress and keep ourselves relaxed and self assured.

Take care and wishing u a very best luck

7. sweety1686

sweety1686 New IL'ite

Hi Harini,

First of all Congratulations!! and thanks for ur tips....
    In which part of US you are staying? just curious to know...

--Sweety

8. jsbsudha

jsbsudha New IL'ite

Re: Regarding Thyroid

Dear honeybee,

I too had the same condition like Indramaha 2 months back...My TSH level was 12 when i was 8 weeks pregnant....so they increased the dosage but I had missed heart beat at 10 weeks... so i really don't know why it happened.....Because doctors took test every 2 weeks and they managed the dosage......still i could not continue..... I am curois to know what happened to indra....

If anybody can suggest any information i will be happy....

9. neetiromeshwari

neetiromeshwari New IL'ite

Re: Regarding Thyroid

i am 8 weeks pregnant and have hypothyroid since 5 yrs. . . but recently the levels fluctuated from 4 to. 08 and afte conceiving it raised to 8. i went to endo ,she asked me to wait n ge free tsh check afte one month.why did she dindnt tuk this test imediately. . . i am vey much worried

10. vathsala30

vathsala30 Platinum IL'ite

i heard that ujjayi pranayama is meant to cure thyroid, and it is easy to do, .consult your doctor and start doing the same,