1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Thumb sucking, pacifiers and ......................... ....

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Dr.Niran, May 19, 2008.

1. Dr.Niran

Dr.Niran New IL'ite

Does your child use pacifier, or has thumb sucking habit. As moms, are you taking efforts to stop them? Successful moms can post there tips and ideas.

2. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

there are some children who thumb suck well into older ages will this affect the development of teeth, then how does one go about getting this right, any advices on this subject is welcome doctor Niran..regards sunkan

3. Dr.Niran

Dr.Niran New IL'ite

Hello Sunkan,

Absolutely Yes. Thumb sucking habits will affect the development of adult teeth, if the child does not quit the habit. Breaking the habit at an earlier stage will be the best option.Every time the child puts the thumb in his/her mouth they put pressure not only on the teeth but also on the inside of the mouth were the permanent teeth are getting ready to come out.This results in affecting the permanent teeth as well in most of the cases.

What can be done?
    First thing of course is break the habit. If it cannot be done then the second option would be to consult a pediatric dentist who will make a special clip called habit breaker which will be cemented to your child's teeth which will prevent the habit.

Let me know if u need further info.

Thank you,
    Niran

4. SoaringSpirit

SoaringSpirit Silver IL'ite

Dear Dr. Niran,

I am glad to see this blog as my 23 month old is a big time thumb sucker. I have not been able to break this habit for hers yet. I was wondering what to do? May be I should try the special clip you mention. I wasn't aware that something like that existed. So should I ask the dentist or pediatrician about it? I guess it is a removable thing?
    SS

5. Dr.Niran

Dr.Niran New IL'ite

SS,
    The thing about this clip is that it can be made and used only after a certain age. The first step is to take your child to pediatric dentist.
    Thanks for your support.
    Niran