Thinking of having a child in mid 40s

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by rsk12, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Regarding health consequences of a baby born to a woman over 40 yrs, you should talk to a genetic counsellor. The risk of Down's syndrome goes up significantly each year after the 40th birthday. I'm sure even people in their 20s have babies with genetic issues and people in their 40s have had healthy happy babies but that doesn't mean the risk isn't present.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Go for it with confidence.
    You are not too old. My husband and I are also older and trying for our first child. It is not the ideal situation we hoped for but life happens. There are plenty of women my age and older at my clinic.
    The only thing I would advise is a proactive aggressive approach. If you can do your medical treatments in Canada (if that is where you live) it would help you a lot. I would honestly not spend any time on homeopathy. At 42 your wife does have any time to spare.
    Go straight to the best reproductive endocrinologist. If you don't get success right away, I would suggest IVF with genetic testing of the embryo so you maximize your chances. You can screen for common chromosomal problems such as Down's syndrome which can save you a lot of potential heartbreak. Of course this is only if such testing is in line with your beliefs.
    Good luck, it is perfectly doable but don't waste any more time. Get thee to a doctor ASAP.

4 people like this.
  3. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I second that MalStorm has written. I have number of colleagues who had kids in 40s, two guys were in their 50s. Yes, chances of chromosomal abnormalities increase with age but it doesn't happen as one hits 30 or 40, it is gradual.
    As some one else said about age- if you keep a healthy lifestyle, 60 is not old. So many people work in their 70s (by choice not due to financial condition) and lead happy, healthy life. I am youngest among 5, my dad was 42 when I was born, retired before I finished college. Still going strong and enjoying his 8 grandkids and one great grandkid :).

Good luck!

4. Keet

Keet Silver IL'ite

There is nothing wrong in having child at latter age. Only thing is they must be ready for a child free life if things doesn't work out in their favor.

If a younger couple have child they will have energy to raise a child but financial settlement is another area that will drain their energy. But by 40's they would have some financial stability so they can direct all their energy in raising a child.

Yes, there is risk of Down's syndrome, autism etc.

5. rsk12

rsk12 New IL'ite

Thank you all for your responses. appreciate it.
    Its decision day today and we will be making the most important decision of our lives.
    once we make the decision there is no turning back. Both of us are still confused but hoping to get some clarity in the next few hours.

Thanks again
    rsk

6. Keet

Keet Silver IL'ite

In case if you don't know, Ontario is considering to offer one free IVF cycle that might start some time in 2016. In case if your wife could carry a pregnancy you guys can avail the opportunity.

7. afcpreethi

afcpreethi Silver IL'ite

Hi @rsk12,

I will keep you in my daily prayers . May God bless you with a healthy Child :).

Cheers
    Preethi

8. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Think about this as well. Both my DH's parents passed away, i would love to see someone plays with my LO. Chat with her & so on. I do some other things to compensate.. But still, it will be good to see those elders around. What will be your kid's feeling after few years.. In long term of course..

Since you would need IVF, there are lot of screening done to rule out genetic troubles. Try to go through those before growing the little bean in womb.

All the best! :thumbsup

Regarding Prasanth hospital... I have been there for my first IVF and frozen cycle. It didn't bring success to me that time(4-5 years back). It was crowded and i got less attention from the main doc(GHP).. Don't know how it is now.

1 person likes this.
  9. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

I agree with Vasumathy, it's not so easy to handle a kid after 40 years, by the time the child starts his/her college you will be 60+....so it will be difficult to meet their expectations at that age....ideally children should be settle down in their life by the time we get retired from work....then it will easy to manage the retirement period mentally, physically and financially...

10. sugugiri2010

sugugiri2010 Gold IL'ite

HI

My uncle is 45 yrs and just gave birth to twin baby girls.. they are celebrating their first bday this november... (though they did not postpone,nature took its turn)

so If u r financially well, please go ahead. surrogacy is available in every hospital in chennai, whereas it might be little costly,i think srushti fertility center is giving it at a nominal price.As others suggested please do every test, so that before taking any step it will be helpful to decide.

Take care,my prayers are with u.