Things You Never Knew Your Cellphone Could Do..

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ambika ananth, Nov 13, 2006.

1. ambika ananth

ambika ananth Bronze IL'ite

There are a few things that can be done in times of grave emergencies. Your mobile phone can actually be a life saver or an emergency tool for survival. Check out the things that you can do with it: -

*I* Subject: The Emergency Number worldwide for **Mobile** is 112.*
    If you find yourself out of coverage area of your mobile network and there is an emergency, dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to establish the emergency number for you, and interestingly this number 112 can be dialled even if the keypad is locked. **Try it out.**

*II*Subject: Have you locked your keys in the car? Does you car have remote keys?* This may come in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their cell phone from your cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end. Your car will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other "remote" for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk). Note: *It works fine! We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a cell phone!"*

*III*Subject: Hidden power
    Imagine your cell battery is very low, you are expecting an important call and you don't have a charger. Nokia instrument comes with a reserve battery. To activate, press the keys *3370# Your cell will restart with this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This reserve will get charged when you charge your cell next time.

*IV* How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone?
    To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following digits on your phone: # 0 6 # A 15 digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe. when your phone get stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code. They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the SIM card, your phone will be totally useless.

You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that whoever stole it can't use/sell it either. If everybody does this, there would be no point in people stealing mobile phones.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2007
    1 person likes this.

2. chatkara_tasty

chatkara_tasty Bronze IL'ite

ambika this is realy great. txs for sharing this .

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Good to know

Dear Ambika,

Good useful info. The one with opening the car with cell phone was a surprise and you say you have tried it. Hmmm..!

L, Kamla

4. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Ambika,
    your ideas are very very useful. It happens with most people now, cars getting locked with the keys inside it, battery low on cell phone etc. I shall pass this info to my huby and also friends. Thanks a lot.

5. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ambika,

I did not risk the experiment with my car keys and believe your word for it. But the battery thing does not work. May be I did it wrong.

I pressed *3370# ; nothing happened. Then I pressed call button. Requesting appeared in the screen. After a while Request Not Completed appears.

Is this feature there in all nokia phones? I carry a 2600 set. (The modern youth would date this somewhere in the Jurassic Period)

regards,
    sridhar

A Small PS: Ambika, this is quite OK. But we expect much more than this from the Sites renowned Poetess. When are you going to post your poems?
    sridhar

6. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

Thank U very much!

Dear Ambika,

Very useful ideas. Thank u very much for sharing. Let me also try out your tips.

Vanaja Srinivasan

7. ambika ananth

friends..let me explain..

Dear Sridhar and friends

Let me explain...these tips were sent by a tech-savvy friend who has a very aunthentic background...and immediately I posted them on the site...I hope they work for ancient/archaic models too...if not..:cry:

Sridhar, you have subtly pointed out that my area is poetry..hahaha..thanks..
    Will surely mail some poems shortly

Thanks and regards

ambika

8. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Ambika Let Me Explain!

Dear Ambika,
    I did not want to point out that your area is poetry. My PS is based on this reasoning.
    If my computer goes wrong and IBM sends the legendary Sarojini Naidu to troubleshoot, I wont complain. It will be a bonanza for me. But let Sarojini Naidu become a full-fledged computer engineer forgetting her poetical gifts.
    regards,
    sridhar

9. ambika ananth

your reasoning ability

Dear Shridhar

Seems like I don't stand a chance before your reasoning ability....afterall, you are a person using both sides of your brain..where as poor me..I use only one side....

Sarojini Naidu and computers..definitely a fabulous combination..
    Men who use both sides of their brain need such women around I guess..

( missed out on this banter..I must say...)

Regards
    ambika

10. vidyasarada

vidyasarada Senior IL'ite

Dear Ambika
    In addition to all those savvy things you say a cellphone can do, it can also cook you an egg it seems ! Check out the Howstuffworks website to find out how.
    If only it could do the laundry too...................!:p

vidyasarada