1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Things U Love & hate about abroad

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by cheer, May 10, 2007.

1. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Yes,that is exactly what it is....I am quite selfish here...I want all the fun in this thread only..We can go ahead-scratch,kick,yell,pinch,hit,slap.....call each other names too(if possible) :yes: and still remain friends:mrgreen:

2. socalgal

socalgal New IL'ite

What I love most about US is the concept of National Parks. I love the idea and cherish the way they have protected pieces of nature. I wish I could visit them all and pass on that feeling/sense of appreciation to my 10 year old .

3. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Love the medical system here(USA), other than common medicines available over the counter, the concept that a doctor has to prescribe for all other medicines is great(lot of people suffer/die due to self medication errors, over dose of medicines). What is more awesome is the fact that all the medicines available here have to go through stringent testing and clinical trials and be approved by FDA before it is available in the market. They are extremely cautious when a drug is dispensed to a baby, senior adult or a pregnant patient. The level of hygiene practiced at hospitals especially is good. Mistakes do happen, but very negligible compared to other places.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  4. redapple

redapple Senior IL'ite

According to me, every country has own advantages and disadvantages of its own.

As others mentioned, I like the hygiene they maintain and the concept of good restrooms in almost all stores which is the big drawback in India.

Also the population is uncomparable between these countries, so the facilities would be the same.

The concept of public libraries too good in USA which makes us understand the importance of reading.

5. socalgal

socalgal New IL'ite

Hi Red apple,
    I love the libraries too and use them immensely! Its sad that many of the library staff were laid off with this recession...
    Socalgal

6. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

I could not agree more.....
    I am a classic case of thsi situation. I had to follow as my husband got an offer abroad and I'm in US now. I spent almost 8 months in resentment and hating this country. Now it is over 1 year that I am here and I absolutely love everything about this country.I've made it close to my heart and Nothing to complaint:)

I Like:
    The parks and road travel(love the roads)
    No problems in daily life like electricity, water
    People do not interfere(I LOVE THIS)
    No pressure of any form to do something that we do not like - we can be ourselves
    People have civic sense

I dislike
    Although many say that office politics is a lot lesser in U.S etc; I feel it is on a different shade here. It exists and we feel it in a different way.I do not like that

The fake smile that people give and then just move away before we can even reciprocate their smile(not all are like this though)

7. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Oh, and how can I forget the public libraries. I love them here. I have studied for a couple of exams using just the public library books.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  8. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Libraries have been a big life line for me as half of the day passes in reading books.

It is so sad to see recession having an impact on libraries. They are planning to close our public library next year and it is so sad to see the essential services like library, police etc downsized for budget reasons while they spend so much on other recreational stuff :rant