1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Things U Love & hate about abroad

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by cheer, May 10, 2007.

1. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

hey everybody

I can completely understand what Sunitha and Ragini have explained here.

Even i have seen many people abusing the fact that they can easily return things in the stores over here... i have seen ppl buying things for a particular occassion or a party and they use those things and return them back, wich actually solves their pupose for that one time and they get their money back too...

And regarding this language problem; I have these 2 neighbours, even from the same village in India, they know english and their own language, i know english and hindi, but i dont know their language. So i met them in the lawns and they asked me come lets take a walk, i said okeyy... so just the first intro was in english rest they both started talking in their language, and look at me and start laughing and never bothered whether i understand that or not... So i think people should EVOLVE basically, to understand the general ettiquetes of conversation... people should just understand that not everybody can understand their regional language and they should start speaking in universally understood languages.

and I dont think anybody should take offense when i'm talking about this, its for them to understand the fact.

~Abha

2. pebblebeach

pebblebeach Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

Things I like in US:
    • As compared to India, here in US people generally follow rules( that can be anything from traffic, litering to waiting for their turn in queue etc etc) making their life's and also others life's easier.
    • Facilities(big libraries, clean restrooms everywhere, easily accessible information thru phones, net etc)
    • Lot of activities(skiing,hiking,camping,water spots, para sailing,skating, swimming pools, tennis courts, kick boxing, golf many many more) which are easily accessible to many people.
    • Lot of open space(big parking lots, space between any two building/everything) everything looks very spacious.
    • less pollution
    • variety cuisines
    Things I hate in US:

First thing is I miss my parents, siblings and relatives. Even though I call my family twice a week and talk to them hours together I still miss them a lot.

As Sanvri said, I too don't like the doctor appointments. In India if you are not feeling well you can straight away to go a doctor and get immediate help. But in here, u take appointment and wait till that day sometimes you even get well before ur appointment and so will cancel the appointment.

Regarding vegetables, even if we get fresh ones here, they are not as tasty as there are in India. I used to eat less salt and less chili in India. But somehow the food here whether homemade or restaurant(indian) food has no taste at all(it tastes like its made for BP and Diabetic patients)

There are no family values here. I know some 3-4 yrs old indian kids who tell their parents that if they hit them they will call 911. I don't say its good to beat children. But in India children will have that fear of getting scolded by parents if they do something wrong. And children won't allow parents to see their stuff like what they are doing, whats going on in their life etc unless the children themselves let them. They simply say its my personal something like that. I never imagine saying something like that to my parents.

I miss the way we celebrate festivals in India with all our family members around, new clothes, variety food, sweets, chit chats, some nice tv programs etc.

Well I think everything has some positives and some negatives.

regards

3. lmani

lmani Senior IL'ite

Ok I have been here 33 years in new jersey to do thos very day i feel lonely.

4. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Ladies, it was nice to know abt ur views, i would appreciate if other ladies frm middle east, europe & far east also participate here.

Looking forward to hear frm them.

5. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies today i read this article in some other forum & would like to share with u all ladies.

0. If I will pay for your ticket for back home you will ready to go there, why because you love your back home still.

1. Media there in our back home are so negative. We are we so embarrassed to recognize our own strengths and our achievements at back home. We are from such a great nation, we have so many amazing success stories but we refuse to acknowledge them.

2. Why?

We are the first in milk production.
    We are number one in Remote sensing satellites.
    We are the second largest producer of wheat.
    We are the second largest producer of rice.

3. See Israel now, The Israeli newspaper. It was the day after a lot of attacks and bombardments and deaths had taken place. The Hamas had struck. But the front
    page of the newspaper had the picture of a Jewish gentleman who in five years had transformed his desert land into an orchid and a granary. It was this inspiring picture that everyone woke up to. The gory
    details of killings, bombardments, deaths, were inside in the newspaper, buried among other news.

4. In our back home we only read about death, sickness, terrorism, crime. Why are we so NEGATIVE?

5. Another question: Why are we, as a nation so obsessed with foreign things?

6. We want foreign TVs, we want foreign shirts. We want foreign technology. Why this obsession with everything imported. Do we not realize that self-respect comes with self-reliance?, and here we know that many things are imported from China, Pakistan and India.

7. When Indian President Abdul Kalam was in Hyderabad giving lecture, when a 14 years old girl asked him for his autograph. He asked her what her goal in life is.
    She replied: I want to live in a developed India. for her, you and everybody's dream is to have developed back home, but what we have done when we were at back home to develop, thats why we are here. India, Pakistan or China nare not an under-developed nation; it is a highly developed nation.

8. Do you have 10 minutes? Allow me to come back with a vengeance.

Got 10 minutes for your country? If yes, then read; otherwise, choice is yours.

YOU say that our government is inefficient.
    YOU say that our laws are too old.
    YOU say that the municipality does not pick up the garbage.
    YOU say that the phones don't work, the railways are a joke,The airline is the worst in the world, mails never reach their destination at our back home.
    YOU say that our country has been fed to the dogs and is the absolute pits.
    YOU say, say and say.

9. What did you done about it? take a person on his way to Singapore. Give him a name - YOURS. Give him a face - YOURS. YOU walk out of the airport and you are
    at your International best. In Singapore you don't throw cigarette butts on the roads or eat in the stores. YOU are as proud of their Underground links as they are. You pay $5 (approx. Rs.60) to drive through Orchard Road (equivalent of Mahim Causeway or Pedder Road) between 5 PM and 8 PM. YOUcomeback to the parking lot to punch your parking ticket if you have over stayed in a restaurant or a shopping mall irrespective of your status identity. In Singapore you don't say anything, DO YOU? YOU wouldn't dare to eat in public during Ramadan, in Dubai. YOU would not
    dare to go out without your head covered in Jeddah.

YOU would not dare to buy an employee of the telephone exchange in London at 10 pounds (Rs.650) amonth to, "see to it that my STD and ISD calls are billed to someone else." YOU would not dare to speed bey! ond 55 mph (88 km/h) in Washington and then tell the traffic cop, "Jaanta hai main kaun hoon (Do you know who I am?). I am so and so's son. Take your two bucks and get lost."

10. YOU wouldn't chuck an empty coconut shell anywhere other than the garbage pail on the beaches in Australia and New Zealand.

Why don't YOU spit Paan on the streets of Tokyo?

Why don't YOU use examination jockeys or buy fake certificates in Boston??? We are still talking of the same YOU. YOU who can respect and conform to a foreign system in other countries but cannot in your own. You
    who will throw papers and cigarettes on the road the moment you touch Indian or Pakistan's ground. If you can be an involved and appreciative citizen in an alien country, why cannot you be the same in our back
    home?, thats why we are here.

11. Once in an interview, the famous Ex-muni cipal commissioner of Bombay, Mr.Tinaikar, had a point to make. "Rich people's dogs are walked on the streets to
    leave their affluent droppings all over the place," he said. "And then the same people turn around to criticize and blame the authorities for inefficiency and dirty pavements. What do they expect the officers
    to do? Go down with a broom every time their dog feels the pressure in his bowels?

12. In America every dog owner has to clean up after his pet has done the job. Same in Japan. Will the Pakistani or Indian citizen do that there?", If yes then we dont need to come down here.

13. We go to the polls to choose a government and after that forfeit all responsibility. We sit back wanting to be pampered and expect the government to do
    everything for us whilst our contribution is totally negative. We expect the government to clean up but we are not going to stop chucking garbage all over the place nor are we going to stop to pick a up a stray piece of paper and throw it in the bin. We expect the railways to provide clean bathrooms but we are not going to learn the proper use of bathrooms, thats why we are here for volenteer.

14. We want Indian Airlines and Air India to provide the best of food and toiletries but we are not going to stop pilfering at the least opportunity. This applies even to the staff who is known not to pass on the service to the public, but first responsibility is of public. When it comes to burning social issues like
    those related to women, dowry, girl child and others, we make loud drawing room protestations and continue to do the reverse at home. Our excuse? "It's the whole system which requires change, how will it matter if I alone forego my sons' rights to a dowry." So who's going to change the system?

15. What does a system consist of? Very conveniently for us it consists of our neighbors, other households, other cities, other communities and the government.
    But definitely not me and YOU. When it comes to us actually making a positive contribution to the system we lock ourselves along with our families in to a safe cocoon and look into the distance at countries far
    away and wait for a Mr. Clean to come along & work miracles for us with a majestic sweep of his hand or we leave the country and run away.

16. Like lazy cowards hounded by our fears we run to America to bask in their glory and praise their system. When New York becomes insecure we run to England. When England experiences unemployment, we
    take the next flight out to the Gulf. When the Gulf is war struck, we demand to be rescued and brought home by the Indian government. Everybody is out to abuse
    and rape the country. Nobody thinks of feeding the system. Our conscience is mortgaged to money.

"ASK WHAT WE HAVE DONE FOR OUR BACK HOME"

17. Lets do what our back home needs from us.

18. Why we have trouble in this country because we have not done labour job any time in our back home, we have not done any small volenteer job in our back home
    but we are doing very hard job here. We are doing volenteer job for years here, If we had done any small thing for our back home we were not been here because we were 1,00,00,00,000 in population, if one person
    will do one good job for his country you can imagine, how many small jobs are pssible 1,00,00,00,000 jobs that means 10,000 projects.

I think now here everybody undestand the word "project" because evey one is doing team work here.

Everybody loves their Back home country, but we have not maintained it properly to live because of that we are here.

6. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheer
    That was an awesome post.:2thumbsup:

Regards
    Honeybee

7. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Cheer,that was a wonderful post...loved every line of it...that writer has really put forth what is always lingering in my mind.

This is what I was meaning to say in the other thread started by Nazneen..Indians who land here never fail to praise the U.S. for any small thing too but when the talk turns to India,well,there is only contempt.What I have to say is only this...Appreciate the country for what it is..U.S. has it's plus and minus,India too has it's plus and minus...we should not come here and always keep praising this country and at the same time belittle our homeland.It gives one the impression that all Indians who are here are leading a wonderful life whereas the ones back home are suffering,which is not true! Infact,the ones back home are the happiest.

8. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Thanx honeybee & sunitha i agree with U. Last yr when i went India i saw lots of changes in people life style, private companies really give good incentives that includes rent, car, medical etc, whereas here we're just getting dollars nothing else. So it's really pity that we think in india people are suffering.

9. vaidegi

vaidegi New IL'ite

hi friends,
    This is a wonderful thread,

i love in abroad is facility and neatness,

i hate in abroad is i miss my close relatives and i felt lonely.

thanks,

bye,

vaidegi.

10. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

I love abroad because of the orderliness.
    I do not hate abroad but I miss my country and my people every now and then.