1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Things U Love & hate about abroad

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by cheer, May 10, 2007.

1. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

hey everybody

this is a very interesting thread started by CHeer !!

I'll just do a comparison in few points:

1. Everything is too "mechanical", wen u enter a store, somebody will ask u "hey guys how u doin" and then they move away even before u open ur mouth to reply... so there is no concern when they ask u.... its purely mechanical.

2. Poor Poor Medical and health services... appointments and appointments all the time... I mean in India Doctors work so hard... thats the oath they took when they got the DR. in front of their name... but who cares... many of these work 9-5 like a bank clerk and go home...

3. No pressure on kids to study, they do whatever they want.... and in India kids are always doin some home work or assignments and then the exams... cos kids know they have to work hard to get a good job.... but here in US kids take things for granted knowing that Govt. is there to give them a job, whether they study or not, everyone will get employed no matter what.... cos the country is rich...:evil:

4. India has become a Trillion dollar economy, with the GDP so high, India is the place to BE, with economy on a BOOM. Whereas the Dollar, hitting a low and rupee gaining value... I'm really proud of India, thats my country.:2thumbsup:

5. In India children are always surrounded by people, parents, relatives, grand parents... so someone or the other can see if the child is bothered by something... or if he is upset over something... so as to AVERT a virginia tech happening... But here there is so much of Privacy and stuff that staying in the same house everyboy has their own lives and there is lack of guidance for children....

Also if we start talking about cleanliness... lets be frank and ask ourselves Weren't we the LITTERBUGS ??? slowly gradually when we grew up then only we realised that things shud be thrown in the trash cans and other stuff...

See what is required is AWARENESS... and if we like the cleanliness in US, we shud try and create awareness in our country. Everyone has to take the responsibility to throw each wrapper or a used cola cup in the trash can.

Well well... I can talk lenghts on this topic... but its enough for now :)

~Abha

2. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Dear Abha,

Great analyse:2thumbsup: , thanx to bring in notice:mrgreen: . Hopefully more to come frm ur side:wave

1 person likes this.
  3. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Abha,

Wonderfull points ,go ahead...it was really interesting...

Regards,
    USHA.

4. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Hi Cheer and Usha (by the way my mum's name is Usha)

Thanks for ur replies and encouragement... Sometimes i think i analyse too much, but then thats in my nature... i'm a keen observer...

I would also like to add that, India has great History and Culture... US too has great history, and many countries have great histories, but there is no comparison to the Freedom Fighting history of india...

As we all know that a country's history has a great impact on the day to day behavior and lifestyle of its people. According to a reasearch, in Germany people smile and laugh very rarely and to laugh and smile they have got special groups in churchs, where a group of ppl can gather and do HA HA HOO HOO !!!! ??? well this is because, somewhere in the minds and subconscious of ppl, they are guilty and ashamed of their History (mass killings of jewish ppl), even if they Now dont have anything to do with it...

In the same way, India is trying to emerge from the years and years of Poverty, and the Corruption can be a result of this part of our history... india was once called the Golden Sparrow, so there is RICHNESS factor in our past and that makes us Indians BIG HEARTED... we have been thru extreme riches and rags, both... that is why Indians are so humble...

No matter how much we say we dont like the noise and crowds in India, that is the first thing we miss when we are Abroad...

Have we ever wondered why there is so much of Outsourcing of the Customer Service Centres to India ??? Well Cheap Labor is one reason, Another reason is that Indians are Hard Working, they have this internal desire to extend a helping hand and go out of the way to solve problems of people who, they dont know are calling from wich part of the world. This is something the Reps over here are lacking in, they are just concerned in to the point talk and do just the much, to wind up the matter ASAP.

Today what Indians need to do all around the world is recognise their country's worth, like the whole world has recognised India's worth...

~Abha

1 person likes this.
  5. kssc22

kssc22 New IL'ite

I love everything here. And I am soooo glad I am here.
    What I miss here is my family, I still call my mom, sis and brothers every single day.

6. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Hi Cheer,

Excellent topic and well written posts by other members.
    Even after so many years I do not have the sense of belonging in US.That is one big thing I miss about India.
    I miss the day to day life in India. Everything has to be planned right from meeting friends over the weekend or making phone calls.There is no spontanaiety here even kids play dates have to be planned.

Things I like here for instance is higher education for the kids [colleges] and they seem to be more well rounded.People are more friendly, and customer service is excellent.

7. raginiprakash

raginiprakash Senior IL'ite

Hi!

Interesting topic for discussion.

What i like about the U.S:

1) The excellent community facilities available here, for example the library, emergency services, etc
    2) The incredible shopping experience. I love the fact that i can return something, if i change my mind.
    3) Travelling to places & road trips are convenient, easy to plan, affordable & fun thanks to the facilities available like rest areas when going on a road trip, good deals on tickets, hotel reservations & practically everything can be done with the click of a mouse making it very convenient.
    4) A person's life has a lot more value here.
    5) The law & order.....u can't make a mistake & get away with it, this is what keeps people in check & makes them follow the rules of the land. Of course! there are always exceptions.
    6) Facilities available for the physically challenged.

What i don't like about the U.S:

1) Life in general is way too mechanical.
    2)The concept of family bonding, religion/god, respect towards elders is more or less non-existent.
    3) Too much freedom & the prevalent gun culture.
    4) Higher Education is not given enough importance & lack of parental control.
    4) The lifestyle, fast/junk food & 'super size me' culture which is responsible for the rapidly increasing obese population.
    5) Healthcare.....it takes ages to get a doc's appointment.

I'm sure there are more, but these are the points which came to mind immediately. Every country has pros & cons, but in my opinion nothing comes close to the joy of being in your own country, amidst your kith & kin.

Cheers!
    Ragini.

Last edited: May 22, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  8. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Dear Anjana, Ragini & Abha thanx for sharing ur view abt this.

Hope more ladies will share their views.

4 people like this.
  9. vaishnavishruthi

vaishnavishruthi New IL'ite

Dislike: Feeling lost and miss my mom's handmade soup when i fall sick.

Vaishh!!!

10. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

I agree with all the points said above and I like to add one more right now.
    The thing I like here is you can return any commodities within the return date and get refunded( experienced a lot!)
    eventhough we are getting almost everything which is available in US, I like India for its unique characterstics. Moreover it is called "Puniya Bhoomi". I am proud to be part of that country which is described as such.:)